Places to eat in Nice

Restaurant La Réserve de Nice
    by nyperose
  • The coastal walking paths beside the restaurant
    The coastal walking paths beside the...
    by nyperose
    The view from the restaurant

Most Viewed Restaurants in Nice

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

L'Empire: Sunday brunch? This is the place!

by Elainehead Written Jun 7, 2015

"L'Empire" is a restaurant (onestly I have no idea of their specialty because I only came for the brunch) opened not that long ago at the same place where it used to be "L'Univers de Christian Plumail" (gastronomic restaurant).

I haven't tried the restaurant per se, but I had brunch on a Sunday. The service may be a bit long but one of the waiters was very reactive and courteous. Our table was a bit wobbly and he came to fix it before we ask him to. The brunch costs 19€ and it comes with a good selection of salty and sweet nibbles. Gosh, I couldn't name all the things for the life of me, but checking the photo, you'll get an idea (not pictured: glass of orange juice, fried egg and bacon, hot drink (either tea, coffee or hot chocolate). Do come with an empty stomach otherwise it'll be a waste (they do takeaway as well, so ask for a doggy bag for the leftovers).

I will definitely come back.

Brunch@L'Empire
    • Women's Travel

Maïdo: Japanese tapas bar

by Elainehead Written May 20, 2015

One of my must-do list was eating an "okonomiyaki" (it's like a Japanese tortilla/pancake) and this recent opened place includes this dish on their menu. It's not like they do in Japan, in the sense that there isn't a hot grill on your table.
    Anyway, you have 2 choices: one made with pork meat or seafood. As I had a terrible food poisoning once with sea food, I try to avoid at any cost, so pork meat for myself. Other than that ingredient, you'll find cabbage, ginger and probably other stuff that I couldn't tell... The topping is made of some kind of barbecue sauce, Japanese mayo and dried bonito flakes. It's not a light meal. I think the dish was around 12 - 15€.
    As I didn't know it would be a sizable dish, I ordered some "gyozas" as starters....Big mistakes! I almost couldn't finish my "okonomiyaki"... Unfortunately, I had no place for dessert, so I might try next time.
    By the way, this place is run by a French-Japanese couple (the guy is French - he speaks Japanese - and the girl is Japanese).
    Booking is recommended because the place is rather small.

Okonomiyaki
    • Wine Tasting
    • Singles

Le Canon: Southwest cuisine with a local touch

by Elainehead Written May 20, 2015

This restaurant started to buzz after a review appeared on NYT. No, it isn't the reason why I decided to try it. First of all, it's really close from where I live, secondly, an acquaintance recommended it. Booking a table is highly recommended since it's a very popular spot.
    During lunch, they offer a day-special (between 11-13€), otherwise main dishes are around 16€.
    Apparently no set-menu deals here.
    The service was good. This is not a place for a romantic meal. It's more lay-back. Tables are really close to each other, so no intimacy really.

Courgettes farcis

• nyperose's Profile Photo

Restaurant La Réserve in Nice: Excellent French Gourmet food

by nyperose Written Nov 29, 2014

We ate excellent French gourmet food at this restaurant. There was plenty of choice and something for everybody.
    The restaurant is located by the sea and boasts stunning panoramic views over the Baie des Anges.

You can eat in peace and quiet, lean back and watch the ferries leaving for Corsica and other places across the Mediterranean. East of the restaurant there are beautiful coastal walkways, where it is nice to go for a stroll before or after the meal.

Restaurant La R��serve de Nice The coastal walking paths beside the restaurant The view from the restaurant
    • Luxury Travel

Le Séjour Café: Great service and excellent food but pricey

by Elainehead Updated Nov 1, 2014

I have been trying to get a table here for so long (always fully booked) that when we passed by lunchtime and asked if they had one available, we were very surprised with their positive answer.

All the positive reviews are true! The service is very friendly and attentive, the food is delicious but a bit pricey in my opinion.

I had a first course "velouté de topinambour (sp?)" (9€) which was good and the main dish the "filet de boeuf avec sauce bordelaise" (28€). My other half had the "rognons de veau"(18€). We were very happy with our dishes. My filet was so tender and tasty! We had no place for dessert, so can't comment on that.

If you know your schedule, book your table in advance (more than two weeks in advance - in the summer, it's worse and harder to get a table).

Excellent choice!

Coco & Rico: Their specialty: braised meats

by Elainehead Updated Oct 15, 2014

To my understanding, it used to be a wine bar and recently they turned it into a restaurant. The atmosphere and decoration are very New Yorker, no wonder it attracts a lot of anglophones.

The service is very friendly (sometimes too friendly because the manager chats a lot and sometimes forgets about other customers). Paying the bill takes longer than most place because they seem understaffed, so if you are not that patient, try another restaurant.

I honestly don't know how often they change their menus but it doesn't seem to be every week. For lunch, they have the day's special and it's reasonably priced (around 12€). Overall the food is good, the portions aren't generous though, so having a first-course or dessert might help fill up your stomach. By the way, their lemon pie is very good.

Menu
    • Women's Travel

Vingt4: Un-romantic place but serves good salad

by Elainehead Written Oct 15, 2014

No idea of what theme should I choose for this restaurant...I would say French but they serve hamburger and Caesar Salad without being exclusively American... Anyway, this place has good reviews and I've been wanting to try for a long time.
    The day chosen was during the week and for lunch. Their menu choices are not wide and the one dish I was about to order takes about 30 minutes to be prepared, so had to change it and ordered the Caesar Salad instead. The restaurant was almost full and very noisey. I think the acoustics of the place isn't that great.If you don't mind the smokers, you should get a table outside, but the waiter will probably forget about you. There was someone from the staff (manager or owner, who knows) who would chat with the customers but he would almost bend in order to hear them (blame again the acoustics) but his "behind" was almost "touching" our table...not a very nice souvenir... Another thing, the place is not that big, so if you are planning to come here, booking a table might be a wise decision.
    About the dishes, the Caesar salad took a good while to be served, so maybe the wait for the original dish I had in mind wouldn't have been long afterall. The salad was very good though.
    I'm not sure I would come back.

• Business Travel

Le Parasol: Terrible management

by Elainehead Written Apr 29, 2014

The place I usually go for breakfast was packed, so decided to go here...which was a big mistake. "Le Parasol" is located at Place Magenta, in the heart of the pedestrian zone. There weren't a lot of people and the price was rather reasonable for a cup of coffee (expresso), orange juice (not freshly squeezed) and a croissant at a little less than 5€. Well, the staff was pretty busy and there was a little "commotion" due to a lack of good management. The waitress was almost all by herself, she had to send someone to buy more croissants, so yeah, we had to wait to be served. The manager arrived late with a lame excuse ("oh, I forgot to inform you about it, but you should have known better than there would be a lot of people for Easter weekend") and instead of helping out, she sat and started reading the newspaper!!!
    The waitress was nice and proposed replacing the croissants for some bread/jam/butter though. We waited for the croissants. Glad we did, because they were good.
    I don't think I'll be coming back here anytime soon.

Hard Rock Café: Tex-Mex restaurant

by Elainehead Updated Apr 13, 2014

This international place is open for less than a year and it seems to attract a lot of tourists. It's in a great spot and good for people watching. Depending on the drink, it's not that expensive. I can't really comment much of the dishes, except for the nachos which was almost 13€ (good portion). The only problem here is the service. It takes a while for someone to come and take your order. You have to chase them. Food is usually delivered fast but drinks, it depends... the last time, it was kinda fast but no straws with it, so had to ask. They brought the nachos first and only after a while, the napkin and fork. It was hard to find a waitress/waiter, despite they being many. I saw 3 girls (waitresses) standing at the door chatting!!! Only one guy was cleaning the tables. A couple of people sitting beside us, left because nobody would come to take their orders.

There is a shop at the back. Everything is very expensive compared to the products in the USA. I think the cheapest t-shirt was 24€ - 26€ (made in China). One key-chain was 11€.

Some thursday evenings, there are live music. Check their Facebook page for more information.

• Singles

Carre Llorca: Medium-priced and excellent French restaurant

by Elainehead Written Mar 22, 2014

This modern and stylish restaurant in the old-town is one of my favorite at the moment. The menu choice is not wide, which means fresh ingredients, but they seem of good quality. The service is impeccable.

I've already been twice to this place and been always happy with my dishes. First courses is around 8 to 10 €. Main courses starts from 16 €. Desserts from 5,60€.

It's usually a good idea to book a table because it isn't big (it doesn't suit a big group). Space is almost minimum so it's also not advised for obese people.

Main course - Easter lamb First course Bottles display

Attimi: Good thin crust pizza

by Elainehead Updated Mar 22, 2014

I don't know much about this Italian restaurant other than they use organic and fresh products and is probably the most well located place in Nice (great place for go people watching).

They have a better choice of pizzas than Villa d'Este in the pedestrian zone and their prices are also more attractive. I had the "capriciosa" (tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, olives and artichoke) one for 13€. It was huge and I couldn't finish despite being sooo good, so if you aren't a big eater, it might be nice to share it with another person, so it won't go to waste.

The service was quite good as well and I will definitely come back.

Note: Even though it's usually a non-stop service, after 2 PM, they only serve pizzas and salads.

Favorite Dish: The thin crust pizza.

thin crust pizza

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Da Acchiardo: A legend in Nice's lunchtime

by Ekaterinburg Updated Feb 27, 2014

Local, family run restaurant specialising in Provençal cuisine and Nicoise delicacies, Acchiardo is rapidly becoming a legend in Nice's culinary landscape. Hugely popular with locals and visitors alike, this restaurant is featured in most travel guides and the Internet is bursting with glowing reviews. To be sure of getting a table make a reservation but if you haven't reserved in advance it's still worth turning up on spec.

Turning the corner into Rue Droite in the Old Town, at 6.55 p.m we found a large and lively queue outside Acchiardo. At 7.00 on the dot, the doors opened and people started filing inside. Realising that everyone seemed to have a reservation, I burst into my best schoolgirl French and made an impassioned plea to the waiter overseeing proceedings. It worked and with a shout of 'deux sans reservation' preceding us, we were in. Just as well because at this stage, we were so impressed by the air of expectancy and excitement that to have been turned away would have been unbearable.

Inside was a bustling hive of activity, with people being seated, orders taken and much chat and banter between staff and customers. Decor is a mellow mix of traditional and modern with a lot of wood, white tapestry- type wallpaper and loads of framed photographs on the walls. Lots of long tables opposite a central bar and steps leading to another dining space further in. We were seated at the end of a long table for 6 and settled down happily to study the menu.

With lots of help from the waiters, we settled on steak frites with pepper and Gorgonzola sauces for main course and Provençal omelet and vegetable soup to start with. This wasn't a particularly adventurous selection and for those keen to taste more local fare, there are lots of other options. A bottle of delicious red wine eased us into dinner and a really memorable evening began.

Good food at reasonable prices is only part of the Acchiardo experience. What makes eating here so memorable is the oh-so-French ambience and the warm, convivial atmosphere. Everybody in the restaurant was clearly happy to be there and that included the two very handsome waiters ( sons of the house) who were friendly, helpful and constantly good humoured. Although another queue began to form outside around 8.30, there was absolutely no pressure to vacate your table and it was well after 9 when we reluctantly dragged ourselves away.

Three courses and a bottle of wine set us back about € 65 - by Nice prices, an absolute bargain.
    Acchiardo does lunch and dinner five days a week and is closed at weekends.
    Credit cards are not accepted.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed all three dishes I had equally: the omelet packed with Mediterranean vegetables, the steak and tasty Gorgonzola sauce and the nutty/almondy desert hiding a secret heart of ice cream. My husband particularly enjoyed his steak with pepper sauce and the cheese board.

Mystere - the mystery desert at Acchiardo Steak with Gorgonzola sauce Outside Acchiardo Menu Happy customer at Acchiardo

HANgoût: French cuisine by a Japanese chef

by Elainehead Updated Jan 16, 2014

This recent semi-gastronomic restaurant located in the old town is run by Japanese chef Takayuki Kamiya. There is "a la carte" choices or the set-meal menu. The place isn't big, so booking a table is advisable. I think we were lucky because we managed to walk-in without a booking. However, it took it a while for a positive answer though, because from all the waiters only one of them (probably the manager) knew the answer... The only table available was at their covered-terrasse, beside a rain gutter. It was raining heavily that day, so you had to keep your feet away from it, otherwise you would have them wet. I was also praying to not be electrocuted by the floor lamp which was placed on a street gutter by the end of the rain gutter...
    Apart from these issues, the food was very good and tasteful. We had the "pot au feu" (French beef stew) as the main dish and an apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for dessert. Keep in mind, it's a semi-gastronomic restaurant, so portions aren't generous. I thought the prices (it was less than 25€ for each person without drinks) were reasonable for their quality.
    I would definitely come back but only with a table booked and inside the restaurant (especially on a rainy day).

Opening hours:

Closed on Tuesday. Dinner only Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday,

Lunch and dinner on weekends. More information on their Facebook page below.

Pot au feu

• Chickytrick's Profile Photo

Chez Freddy: Oysters, Paëlla, L'Aïoli, Bouillabaisses

by Chickytrick Updated Nov 6, 2013

Oh my God!
    When I just think of it and even I'm not hungry, I get very excited.

It is a restaurant, one of many, near the old city and the market square. You can sit outside and inside if the weather is not good.

Great fresh seafood that I love best of all.
    Oysters...... Shrimps..... Fish.....

Friendly atmosphere, casual lunch or dining. Wine botteled or by carafes.

And right after dinner you can take a walk aling the sea as the restaurant is steps from it.

Have been there several times, always good.

Favorite Dish: Seafood plate is my favourite.

• Chickytrick's Profile Photo

Luc Salsedo: Best Dinner in Nice

by Chickytrick Written Nov 6, 2013

A very small place, only several tables, away from the main touristic streets, but not far. Ine of those places where you just need to know the way :)

Very good food, elegant and friendly atmosphere. A perfect place for a French style dinner: romantic, tasty...

They have a set menu that changes daily. The price is 40 or 45 euros per person. That includes startes, main course, chesees and dessert. Drinks are separately for this quality of the dinner and such "ambience" this is not a lot in Nice.

Open: 18.30 - 22.30.
    Closed on Wednesday

Reservation is a must I think, because the place is small and rather popular.

Favorite Dish: All was perfect. It was my best dinner in Nice.

• Wine Tasting

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Premier Hotel West End
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Nice

Comments

Nice Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nice locals.
Map of Nice