Places to eat in Nice

by Muscovite
  • Restaurants
    by Muscovite
  • Mystere - the mystery desert at Acchiardo
    Mystere - the mystery desert at...
    by Ekaterinburg

Most Viewed Restaurants in Nice

Hard Rock Café: Tex-Mex restaurant

by Elainehead Updated Apr 13, 2014

This international place is open for less than a year and it seems to attract a lot of tourists. It's in a great spot and good for people watching. Depending on the drink, it's not that expensive. I can't really comment much of the dishes, except for the nachos which was almost 13€ (good portion). The only problem here is the service. It takes a while for someone to come and take your order. You have to chase them. Food is usually delivered fast but drinks, it depends... the last time, it was kinda fast but no straws with it, so had to ask. They brought the nachos first and only after a while, the napkin and fork. It was hard to find a waitress/waiter, despite they being many. I saw 3 girls (waitresses) standing at the door chatting!!! Only one guy was cleaning the tables. A couple of people sitting beside us, left because nobody would come to take their orders.

There is a shop at the back. Everything is very expensive compared to the products in the USA. I think the cheapest t-shirt was 24€ - 26€ (made in China). One key-chain was 11€.

Some thursday evenings, there are live music. Check their Facebook page for more information.

• Singles

Carre Llorca: Medium-priced and excellent French restaurant

by Elainehead Written Mar 22, 2014

This modern and stylish restaurant in the old-town is one of my favorite at the moment. The menu choice is not wide, which means fresh ingredients, but they seem of good quality. The service is impeccable.

I've already been twice to this place and been always happy with my dishes. First courses is around 8 to 10 €. Main courses starts from 16 €. Desserts from 5,60€.

It's usually a good idea to book a table because it isn't big (it doesn't suit a big group). Space is almost minimum so it's also not advised for obese people.

Attimi: Good thin crust pizza

by Elainehead Updated Mar 22, 2014

I don't know much about this Italian restaurant other than they use organic and fresh products and is probably the most well located place in Nice (great place for go people watching).

They have a better choice of pizzas than Villa d'Este in the pedestrian zone and their prices are also more attractive. I had the "capriciosa" (tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, olives and artichoke) one for 13€. It was huge and I couldn't finish despite being sooo good, so if you aren't a big eater, it might be nice to share it with another person, so it won't go to waste.

The service was quite good as well and I will definitely come back.

Note: Even though it's usually a non-stop service, after 2 PM, they only serve pizzas and salads.

Favorite Dish: The thin crust pizza.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Da Acchiardo: A legend in Nice's lunchtime

by Ekaterinburg Updated Feb 27, 2014

Local, family run restaurant specialising in Provençal cuisine and Nicoise delicacies, Acchiardo is rapidly becoming a legend in Nice's culinary landscape. Hugely popular with locals and visitors alike, this restaurant is featured in most travel guides and the Internet is bursting with glowing reviews. To be sure of getting a table make a reservation but if you haven't reserved in advance it's still worth turning up on spec.

Turning the corner into Rue Droite in the Old Town, at 6.55 p.m we found a large and lively queue outside Acchiardo. At 7.00 on the dot, the doors opened and people started filing inside. Realising that everyone seemed to have a reservation, I burst into my best schoolgirl French and made an impassioned plea to the waiter overseeing proceedings. It worked and with a shout of 'deux sans reservation' preceding us, we were in. Just as well because at this stage, we were so impressed by the air of expectancy and excitement that to have been turned away would have been unbearable.

Inside was a bustling hive of activity, with people being seated, orders taken and much chat and banter between staff and customers. Decor is a mellow mix of traditional and modern with a lot of wood, white tapestry- type wallpaper and loads of framed photographs on the walls. Lots of long tables opposite a central bar and steps leading to another dining space further in. We were seated at the end of a long table for 6 and settled down happily to study the menu.

With lots of help from the waiters, we settled on steak frites with pepper and Gorgonzola sauces for main course and Provençal omelet and vegetable soup to start with. This wasn't a particularly adventurous selection and for those keen to taste more local fare, there are lots of other options. A bottle of delicious red wine eased us into dinner and a really memorable evening began.

Good food at reasonable prices is only part of the Acchiardo experience. What makes eating here so memorable is the oh-so-French ambience and the warm, convivial atmosphere. Everybody in the restaurant was clearly happy to be there and that included the two very handsome waiters ( sons of the house) who were friendly, helpful and constantly good humoured. Although another queue began to form outside around 8.30, there was absolutely no pressure to vacate your table and it was well after 9 when we reluctantly dragged ourselves away.

Three courses and a bottle of wine set us back about € 65 - by Nice prices, an absolute bargain.
    Acchiardo does lunch and dinner five days a week and is closed at weekends.
    Credit cards are not accepted.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed all three dishes I had equally: the omelet packed with Mediterranean vegetables, the steak and tasty Gorgonzola sauce and the nutty/almondy desert hiding a secret heart of ice cream. My husband particularly enjoyed his steak with pepper sauce and the cheese board.

HANgoût: French cuisine by a Japanese chef

by Elainehead Updated Jan 16, 2014

This recent semi-gastronomic restaurant located in the old town is run by Japanese chef Takayuki Kamiya. There is "a la carte" choices or the set-meal menu. The place isn't big, so booking a table is advisable. I think we were lucky because we managed to walk-in without a booking. However, it took it a while for a positive answer though, because from all the waiters only one of them (probably the manager) knew the answer... The only table available was at their covered-terrasse, beside a rain gutter. It was raining heavily that day, so you had to keep your feet away from it, otherwise you would have them wet. I was also praying to not be electrocuted by the floor lamp which was placed on a street gutter by the end of the rain gutter...
    Apart from these issues, the food was very good and tasteful. We had the "pot au feu" (French beef stew) as the main dish and an apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for dessert. Keep in mind, it's a semi-gastronomic restaurant, so portions aren't generous. I thought the prices (it was less than 25€ for each person without drinks) were reasonable for their quality.
    I would definitely come back but only with a table booked and inside the restaurant (especially on a rainy day).

Opening hours:

Closed on Tuesday. Dinner only Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday,

Lunch and dinner on weekends. More information on their Facebook page below.

• Chickytrick's Profile Photo

Chez Freddy: Oysters, Paëlla, L'Aïoli, Bouillabaisses

by Chickytrick Updated Nov 6, 2013

Oh my God!
    When I just think of it and even I'm not hungry, I get very excited.

It is a restaurant, one of many, near the old city and the market square. You can sit outside and inside if the weather is not good.

Great fresh seafood that I love best of all.
    Oysters...... Shrimps..... Fish.....

Friendly atmosphere, casual lunch or dining. Wine botteled or by carafes.

And right after dinner you can take a walk aling the sea as the restaurant is steps from it.

Have been there several times, always good.

Favorite Dish: Seafood plate is my favourite.

• Chickytrick's Profile Photo

Luc Salsedo: Best Dinner in Nice

by Chickytrick Written Nov 6, 2013

A very small place, only several tables, away from the main touristic streets, but not far. Ine of those places where you just need to know the way :)

Very good food, elegant and friendly atmosphere. A perfect place for a French style dinner: romantic, tasty...

They have a set menu that changes daily. The price is 40 or 45 euros per person. That includes startes, main course, chesees and dessert. Drinks are separately for this quality of the dinner and such "ambience" this is not a lot in Nice.

Open: 18.30 - 22.30.
    Closed on Wednesday

Reservation is a must I think, because the place is small and rather popular.

Favorite Dish: All was perfect. It was my best dinner in Nice.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

Le Kineret: Kosher bakery/restaurant

by Muscovite Updated Aug 26, 2013

I found myself in this bakery on my way back from Anton Tchekhov’s hotel (now called Oasis) in the nearby rue Gounod. Unexpectedly caught in a pouring rain and piercing wind, I jumped in for safety and a cup of coffee. As I was the only customer – it was sort of odd timing, neither breakfast, nor lunch – I had all that vast space all to myself, waiting for the elements get back to normal with another coffee, a couple of croissants and a paper which happened to be ‘Jewish Courier’ at 1+ euro.
    When I was back to my notebook, I was quite surprised to see that the place had its own site and was not just a bakery, but a full-scale restaurant.
    The name comes from The Sea of Galilee (also Kinneret), a very famous lake in Israel.
    Decent businesslike service, sensible pricing.

• Religious Travel
    • Seniors

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

Boulangerie du Centre: Bakery around the corner

by Muscovite Written Aug 21, 2013

This bakery is literally around the corner from the street where I am going to rent a flat – again. What makes it even more special is the address – rue Russie. Haven’t noticed anything or anyone particularly Russian about the place, except me coming every morning to pick up the daily baguette.
    The bakery has a down-to-earth, hard-working air, no chic, but the bread is really good and about 5 cents cheaper than in the neighbouring Monoprix. They have a modest choice of pastries and sandwiches, too. In the morning you may see a local workman drop in for his croissant and a cup of coffee – they serve breakfast at a very modest price.
    A nice homely affair, in short, unassuming and reliable.

They have a sister outlet in Biot:
    200 avenue Roumanille – C.C.ST.Philippe, Biot 06410, telephone 04 92 90 03 08

Favorite Dish: I mostly like their traditional Nice bread, it slightly differs from the usual baguette in recipe and shape.

• Singles
    • Seniors

Le Makassar: Good brunch

by Elainehead Written Aug 18, 2013

Every now and then, I try having brunch somewhere outside and this time I trie dit at « Le Makassar ». This restaurant in the old town serves brunch on the weekends.

The full brunch costs 20€. You are served first a continental breakfast and a daily cake special. No French pastries though, but bread (whole wheat or cereal bread only), butter/jam, hot drink – tea, chocolate or American coffee and orange juice (not fresh one though), then the “fish meal” or “meaty one” (almost like an English breakfast), followed by a cheese platter, daily yoghurt special and finally daily fruit special. We had the meaty one which consisted of eggs (scrambled, fried or cooked), sausages, bacon, baked beans, green salad and potatoes. The green salad was cooked because of the hot ingredients, so I didn’t even touch it. When the cheese platter came, I skipped it (not a big fan) and I could hardly finish the rest.

Come with an empty stomach and you’ll probably skip dinner later… Booking is recommended on Sundays.

• Beaches

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Les Petits Farcis: Street food

by etfromnc Written Aug 17, 2013

When food talk turns to French food, words like light, delicate, exquisite, sauces, and expensive tend to come to mind. Street vendors would not usually be a part of that list.
    Sidewalk snacking is more likely to be associated with Asia, Africa, Latin America, or even the United States but the French Mediterranean city of Nice has a long tradition of excellent street food. The culinary history of the city is uncovered through local delicacies including pissaladière (caramelised onion tarts), socca (chickpea pancakes or bread), and tourtes de blettes (sweet tarts with chard and pinenuts). Artisanal cheese shops and butchers are also included on the three-hour strolls which are organized and led by Les Petits Farcis.

Favorite Dish: La socca for its remarkable versatility

Le Coin Quotidien (ex- Le Pain Quotidien): Poor service

by Elainehead Updated May 31, 2013

There seemed to be a change of owners and the place is now called "Le Coin Quotidien". Their menu is more extensive now, so don't expect it to be fresh and the service is very slow depending on what you order.

I ordered a snack and not a dinner dish and my friend just picked a dessert. When she asked if it was homemade, the person got embarrassed because it wasn't... She was served right away, while I waited and waited. Other people who arrived after us, got their dishes beforehand, so I guess if you are having dinner, you have the priority in this place.

We got angry and was about to walk out, the served finally decided to move his **s and just then my snack made an appearance. They wouldn't let me go without paying. I asked them for a take-out and the guy (probably the owner) let it fall on the counter (on purpose or not, who knows?). I paid for it and left. Despite us being polite and saying our goodbyes, we weren't greeted back.

Good luck if you decide having a snack here.

NOTE: The photos were from the previous place "Le Pain Quotidien".

• Women's Travel

La Maison de Marie: Charming restaurant but mediocre food

by Elainehead Updated May 21, 2013

Open hours

Monday to Sundays

Lunch: 12:00 - 14:00

Dinner: 19:00 - 23:00

Important: Dinner reservation highly recommended if you are coming after 8h30 PM. I think there's only one waiter who can speak some English. You have to wait to be seated, so when the restaurant is busy, be patient.

*****

I always wanted to come here but never found the place... I guess I was a bit blind. It's true the restaurant is a bit hidden in Zone Piétonne (pedestrian zone). The entrance is on the left side of the PARASHOP. You will see a sort of red-wall tunnel with "flags" with the name of the restaurant. That's the restaurant entrance!

On sunny days, you can bet that almost all the patio's tables will probably be already taken. It's a very pleasant place to have lunch because we are somehow away from the noisy Zone Piétonne (Pedestrian Zone) and we are surrounded by plants, flowers and a couple of sparrows. The service is usually long when the restaurant is full, so if you are not a patient person, don't even try eating here. Oh, one of the waiters is very moody (if he's in a good mood, he's very funny, but otherwise good luck with him!!!)...

I'm not sure what's happening with some restaurants in Nice, but the food quality has incredibly decreased. And unfortunately, La Maison de Marie has been a victim of that... I recently had the 21-euro menu and to be honest, I don't think it was that great, except the main dish. I'm terribly disappointed. My husband had a tartare and got sick the next day. I think the meat or the egg wasn't that fresh after all... If you only to eat in a nice area, it is still worth the shot to come and have lunch here, but I'd only suggest ordering la Daube de Marie, which is still good.

UPDATE: I haven't been here in ages but tried it a few days ago. The place hasn't changed much expect for the personnel. We still have to almost grab someone to ask for a table because no one stops to welcome you. We went for lunch and ordered the first course + main course menu. The first course I chose was a creamy spread with garlic and herbs served with toasts (brioche bread). Well, the spread portion was huge compared with the tiny toasts (too bad I didn't take a photo). There was so much garlic in that spread that it was almost impossible to eat it. For the main course, I ordered the steak with Porto sauce and it was served with some polenta. I usually order my steak well done but this time I'm glad I asked it medium cooked...it was hard to chew... The sauce was very sweet to my husband's taste... Yeah, I don't we'll be coming back here...

Lunch menu: now it is 22 Euros!!!!!, only served until 1h45 PM. They also provide kid's menu, as far as I remember I think it was meat with fries.

In winter (and maybe during rainy days as well), meals are only served inside the restaurant, so if you come by, the restaurant may look closed as you see no people or tables outside. Walk across the patio and go to the main door.

Favorite Dish: Their specialty is the Mediterranean cuisine.

* Despite increasing their prices, portions are smaller now.

The dish I love:
    Daube de Marie: 14 €

• Business Travel

Cibo Bistrot: Charming Italian bistrot

by Elainehead Written May 11, 2013

I've passed in front of this restaurant many times but only decided to try it out recently.

Near Place Garibaldi, this tiny place seems new and decorated with charm. The dish choices aren't wide, so hopefully this means the food is fresher.

I don't know if the person who took our order was the owner, but he seemed a nice guy. He explained the dishes and gladly answered our questions.

We ordered the beef raviolis with nuts pesto sauce (12€) and the steak with green peppercorn sauce (17€). The beef raviolis portion was generous and good (a little bit salty to my taste though). The steak was tasteless though.

I would definetely come back depending on the dish choices of the day.

This place doesn't suit big groups or people in a hurry (service is a little slow).

Open hours: Monday: 7:00 PM - 10:45 PM
    Tue - Sat: 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm, 7:00 pm - 10:30 pm

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Kitchena: Worst coffee ever!

by Elainehead Written May 10, 2013

Despite its great location on the main shopping avenue Jean Medecin in Nice and being a great place to go people watching, this retaurant/snack place has probably the worst coffee I've ever had in my entirely life. It tasted like medicine and it's more expensive than average (I think it was around 2,40 €). The staff seemed very nice but the coffee was so disgusting.

Coffee at McDonald's is a lot cheaper and better.

Nice Hotels

Palais de la Mediterranee
Maeva Residence Orion Les Palmiers
Premier Hotel West End

Instant Answers: Nice

Comments

Nice Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nice locals.
Map of Nice