Nissa Soca, Nice

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Nissa Socca: Socca and other local specialities

by SWFC_Fan Written Jun 13, 2010

Nissa Socca, Nice

My girlfriend and I ate at Nissa Socca one evening during our visit to Nice in May 2009.

This local speciality restaurant is located on the narrow Rue de Sainte-Reparate in Vieux Nice, just a few metres from the Cours Saleya marketplace.

There are a dozen or so small tables located out front on the street, and every night when we passed by it was busy with diners tucking into local dishes. The evening that we ate there was no different, so we took our seats at a cramped table, sitting shoulder to shoulder with the other diners.

The menu includes a variety of local dishes, including Socca (a chickpea pancake), various stuffed vegetables and peppers, grilled sardines and numerous meat, fish and pasta dishes.

We opted for:

Socca for 2 - Cost: 6.50 Euros

We had tried this local chickpea pancake for breakfast at the nearby Chez Theresa earlier in our stay, and we enjoyed it enough to have it again. On that occasion, we had been served up individual portions on paper to eat with our fingers, but this time, more formally, we received a whole Socca on a plate with cutlery!

Socca is made from chickpea flour and olive oil and is cooked on a hotplate. The menu stated that we’d have to wait 15 minutes if we ordered this dish, but it arrived within minutes. It was hot and tasty, especially when sprinkled with black pepper.

Stuffed vegetables - Cost: 7.20 Euros

We shared a portion of stuffed vegetables between us. This consisted of tomatoes, courgettes and onions stuffed with cheese, rice and other vegetables.

White wine - Cost: 10 Euros for 50cl

We shared half a litre of white wine (Chateau du Rouet, I believe); enough for a couple of glasses each.

We also received a complimentary bottle of mineral water.

Tasty local dishes in a popular old town restaurant. Recommended!

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Nissa Soca: Quick service

by Elainehead Updated May 13, 2007

This small restaurant serves local food. The decoration is very simple.
    The first time I came here, my husband and I sat on a table close to the entrance and the food was prepared in front of us. The kitchen is on a very small corner by the entrance.
    Good portions of food and quick service. I had raviolli and my husband had canelloni. I don't remember the exact prices of our dishes but it was cheap.

So a few years later, we decide to come back to have lunch again. The place changed a bit. The staff is a lot younger and the tablecloth is now cheery (green and yellow). Oh well, no more writing your order on white paper tablecloth...

This time I ordered the cheapest lunch menu (12.50 Euros), which was "beignets et farcies" (deep fried vegetables and stuffed vegetables) with a salad (side dish) and dessert (pie or ice-cream). The portion is still generous, but the food wasn't extraordinary. I don't think I will order "beignets" or "farcies" there... My husband chose the 15 Euro-menu: entrance + main dish + dessert. He had the beignets and Eggplant Parmigiana. He didn't like very much his beignets but loved the main dish. For dessert, I picked ice-cream and he, the apple pie. The ice-cream is probably Carte D'Or or something like that (2 scoops with a straw biscuit), so nothing special. The apple pie looked homemade and my husband said it was good. The service was very quick and the waiter and waitress were very nice (kinda difficult to find nowadays).

We overheard someone complaining that his cooked egg on his salad wasn't fresh... Hmmmm...

Tap water (carafe d'eau): Free

Coca-cola: 2 Euros

Credit cards accepted.

Open hours:
    Tuesday to Saturday, from midday to 2 PM and 7 PM to 11 PM

Also open one Monday out of two.

Annual closing from June 1 to June 6
    Winter closing from New Year's eve and day.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Nissa Socca: Unpretentious Dining

by TRimer Updated Mar 2, 2005

Outside Nissa Socca

A wonderful little restaurant with very few tables. From what I have read since (we just stumbled upon the place), it is known for being quite good and inexpensive.

Favorite Dish: The menu was wonderful. We ordered a variety of appetizers and a salad.

They of course serve the traditional "socca".
    Socca and Cade are Provençal pancakes that go back at least to 1860. Cade de Toulon, probably the most ancient, was made from corn flour and the Socca de Nice that evolved from it is made from chick-pea flour. The Marseilles version is today made with a mixture of flours, using only a small amount of chick-pea flour; in Marseilles this was called "tourta tota cada", meaning "tourte toute chaude", or nice hot tarts. It was mentioned in 1879 by Frédéric Mistral as "gâteau de farine de maïs qu'on vend par tranches à Marseille" (or in the vulgar tongue "corn-flour cake sold by the slice in Marseilles").

They do not accept credit cards.

Instant Answers: Nice

Comments

Hotels Near Nissa Soca
3.5 out of 5 stars