Saint-Paul Restaurants

Hostellerie de la Fontaine
    A St. Paul kitty
    by Beausoleil
    It used to look like this.

Most Recent Restaurants in Saint-Paul

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Hostellerie de la Fontaine: Good food in a fabulous setting

by Beausoleil Written Aug 4, 2014

We love St. Paul de Vence and go there every time we're in the area. We've tried a few restaurants but the most fun was the Hostellerie de la Fontaine. We had seen the umbrellas up there above the historic fountain for years and knew there had to be a restaurant. We didn't know how to get there. On the winning trip, we were above the restaurant and walking back downhill taking pictures. I spotted a cute kitty just begging to have her photo taken. I did and when I looked up at the doorway where kitty was sitting, it looked like a very pleasant restaurant beyond. As fate would have it, it was lunch time so we walked in. There was seating on the terrace and we had found the red umbrellas. We were seated at a table overlooking the beautiful fountain and have returned there ever since. Now if we could just get the weather to cooperate on every trip . . .

Favorite Dish: Here's my journal entry for the meal: "Wound our way up to the church and then down to the Hostellerie de la Fontaine where we had a very nice lunch on the terrace above the village fountain. I got the daily special, a salmon fumé stuffed with a cheese and horseradish sauce. This was accompanied by a marvelous salad of potato, eggs, cucumber and beets along with greens. Fantastic. Ed got a ham and cheese tart that was pretty standard."

Update: I notice from their web site that they are going a bit upscale and catering to tourists. It's probably good business sense but I hate seeing hamburgers on menus all over France which seems to be becoming the norm. The only thing worse than a hamburger on a French menu is an expensive hamburger on a French menu. I enjoy my lamb, duck, rabbit . . . things I can't get at home. I did notice the evening menu still looks good but it's much more expensive than it used to be.

Here is information in English. Hostellerie de la Fontaine

Hostellerie de la Fontaine Go up the stairs on the right It used to look like this. A St. Paul kitty Another historic photo
    • Photography

• TRimer's Profile Photo

La Colombe d'Or: Wonderful Dining Experience

by TRimer Updated Feb 7, 2005

Art of Picasso, Matisse and Legere decorate the walls and terrace of this old farmhouse that was once a gathering place for Impressionists. Yves Montand and Simone Signoret tied the knot here. Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir used to sit together for hours, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and contemplating their existential angst.

Today La Colombe d'Or is a hotel/restaurant where you may see international film stars and supermodels. Food is excellent, and served with Cotes-de-Provence wine. Dine either in the intimacy of a room warmed by a cozy fire or on the patio with its ivy-draped walls.

Favorite Dish: My parents ate here and loved it. We tried to see a menu but either they did not understand us (my friend Sara speaks French though) or they were very rude.

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Cafe de la Place: Classic patio cafe

by vivalasteph Written May 14, 2004

On the right as you walk toward the village is the Cafe de la Place. Known for it's large petanque area, on two sides of the cafe, this makes a good place to take a break, have a glass of wine and a snack, and watch the players in action.

Across the street you see this impressive wall, leading up ot the village entrance.

Place de Gaulle
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Saint-Paul

Comments

Saint-Paul Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Saint-Paul restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint-Paul sightseeing.