Eglise de Notre Dame de Liesse, Annecy

3 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • Eglise de Notre Dame de Liesse
    by Maryimelda
  • Eglise de Notre Dame de Liesse
    by Maryimelda
  • Eglise de Notre Dame de Liesse
    by Maryimelda
  • Mikebond's Profile Photo

    Eglise de Notre-Dame-de-Liesse

    by Mikebond Updated Apr 23, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Notre-Dame-de-Liesse

    This collegiate church has a beautiful Romanic bell tower built in the 16th century.
    The church was founded in 1360 over a previous oratory of the 12th century and was famous for its grand pardons, which attracted many pilgrims every seven years.
    It hosted the Holy Shroud (now in Torino, Italia) in 1566.
    It was destroyed by the French Revolution and rebuilt, differently, in 1845, the date of the present façade.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • iNorv9's Profile Photo

    Notre Dame de Liesse church

    by iNorv9 Updated Dec 22, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The nave inside of Notre Dame de Liesse

    This church was demolished during the Revolution, and was subsequently rebuilt in the neo-classical style in 1850. The interior features stained glass windows, ceiling paintings and a high altar with several sculptures. I was particularly impressed by the dome in atop the nave, which features several frescos and a little window that lets sunlight for a nice effect. There is also an obelisk fountain supported by turtles: the water cascades from the mouths of monumental lions into an octagonal basin set in a monolith of granite.

    Bottom-line: If you're in the area, worth a quick visit

    Was this review helpful?

  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

    Eglise de Notre Dame de Liesse

    by Maryimelda Updated Feb 6, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The Eglise de Notre Dame de Liess in Annecy was built on the site of a former Marist Sancutary which in turn was built in the 13th century. The present church was five years in the making under the direction of one Francois Justin, an engineer employed by the the Sardinian administration. He was renowned to be an expert in neo-classical design.

    There were conditions however, which governed Justin's design. The clock tower and one beautiful gothic window were to be preserved in memory of the original sanctuary.

    The church is easily recognised by the beautiful gold statue of Mary on the roof.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Annecy

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

80 travelers online now

Comments

View all Annecy hotels