Know about this? Rate It!
Favorite thing: Montenvers - this is the station where you catch the train for the 'Mer de Glace' trip. Stunning view from the start.
Train du Montenvers
35, place de la Mer de Glace
F-74400 Chamonix Mont-Blanc
Tél. : 00 33 (0)4 50 53 12 54
Favorite thing: A favourite trip here was to see the 'Mer de Glace' (Sea of Ice) by taking a train from Montenvers. It departs from it's own station next to the main station in Chamonix. This old furnicular climbs a steep track to a stunning vantage point above the Mer de Glace. From here, views of Les Grandes Jorasses and the Les Drus are spectacular. Mer de Glace is the largest glacier in Fance, 7kms long and 200m deep.
From the top station at Montenvers you can walk down to the glacier and into an ice grotto. There are also many walking tracks down to valley floor and traverses along the mountains to Plan de l'Aiguille. We didn't do this - maybe another year.
- Spa and Resort
Mer de Ice trip
Favorite thing: Here's a view from the train on the way up to Mer de Glace in the winter. stunning needle point peaks on the way up to admire.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Oak Cliff Hotels
- Antelope Island
- Iraq Hotels
- Olo Hotels
- Lake Taghkanic State Park Hotels
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Favorites
- Seychelles Favorites
- Pacific Coast Highway / Highway 1
- Nha Trang Favorites
- Hotel Zone
- Toronto Favorites
- Puerto Princesa City Favorites
- West Los Angeles Favorites
- Atlantic City Favorites
- Myrtle Beach Favorites
- Torremolinos Favorites
- Vejer de la Frontera Favorites