Food and eating, Lyon

Know about this? Rate It!

cassoulet
    by b1bob
  • b1bob's Profile Photo

Cuisine de Luc, Isabelle, and Marie-France

by b1bob Updated Feb 8, 2004

cassoulet

Favorite thing: Breakfast was pretty much the same each day- bread and jam or zwiebacks called biscottes together with coffee and/or juice. However, with all the good things I had for lunch and supper each day, you won't wonder why my restaurant tips here are so sparse. I'm surpised I didn't have to buy a second seat on the flight back.

Day 1

- Lunch: a carrot salad with homemade vinaigrette and pasta and ham with a Swiss cheese topping.

- Supper: The couscous itself is little tiny grains of wheat. On top, Isabelle put some sort of beef stew with carrots and English peas.

Day 2:

- Lunch: We made cassoulet (which tasted good on a cool day like that). The one thing that would have gone good alongside the beans and franks would have been sauerkraut.

- Supper: We had chop steak for supper together with potatoes fried (in olive oil) with zucchini, onions, and regional spices called "herbes de Provence" which, from that point forward, I intended to buy the next time we went to Super U, Casino, or Carrefour to take home with me.

Day 3:

- Lunch: Leftovers from the previous night.

- Supper: Luc's mama (Marie-France) had supper waiting for us at our arrival to Alpe du Grand Serre. We had pizza with grated Swiss cheese (as opposed to mozzarella), and some kind of pasta.

Day 4:

- Lunch: We had roast leg of lamb with little bits of garlic inside, chips, salad , and with homemade vinaigrette which I made.

- Supper: We had broiled red salmon in a sauce that contained chopped onions and those herbes de Provence. We had a cauliflower casserole with a Swiss cheese topping.

Fondest memory: Day 5:

- Lunch: With the nun and preacher coming, we had rabbit in a gravy with parsley, onions and those herbs from Provence served together with rice and a beet salad (with vinaigrette). I tell you what, I could have eaten all that rabbit myself. It was the first time in a long while that I had rabbit.

- Supper: crepes.

Day 6:

- Lunch: see Brioche Doree restaurant tip

- Supper: tabouli, then a roast turkey in a gravy containing herbs from Provence, garlic, salt, and pepper with huge potato hunks.

Day 7:

- Lunch: sauerkraut and sausage (but where were the beans?)

- Supper: we had pâté (which wasn't as good as I remembered it) served together with chopped steak and a pasta and tomato mixture.

Day 8:

- Lunch: We had omelets with herbes de Provence. It only takes about one teaspoon of those herbs from Provence to liven up an omelet. Too much tends to overpower it. Luc got a little heavy on the herbs. We also had the rest of the pasta from the previous night.

- Supper: Supper consisted of beans and franks.

Instant Answers: Lyon