Lyon Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Lyon

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Hippopotamus: Neverending story!

by Mikebond Written Aug 4, 2010

We had dinner at Hippopotamus on our first evening in Lyon. We chose it because we had already eaten at a restaurant of the same chain in Strasbourg in 2007 and because it was one of the most reasonably priced in the Lyon city centre.
    After ordering three "menus malins" around 7.20 pm and being given two cokes and a bottle of water to eat, our neverending wait started. Some 45 minutes passed before a waiter took us some dishes we hadn't ordered and a waitress came few seconds later to substitute them with the correct ones.
    Meanwhile, my mother had got nervous for having to wait so long and she felt very relieved when we set foot out of the restaurant.
    We think there were too many tables and too few waiters, therefore the waiting times were excessively long.

Favorite Dish: I had a homemade hamburger with too many chips and mayonnaise, and an ice-cream with strawberries.
    It was not a bad dinner, but it was certainly not worth the wait!

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Fourvi`ere.: Have a coffee on the top of the hill.

by Dizzyhead Updated Aug 1, 2010

I needed a break so I went here after the long walk up towards the cathedral. The stuff was very pleasant here, and they helped me a lot even if i just bought a simple coffee.

Favorite Dish: I did not eat in this restaurant, but what I guess it is very expensive. I was happy to have a coffee here and that was enough for me this time. I enjoyed it and the stuff was really nice and helpful, when I asked many questions about the French cusuine, and they also gave me a map for the city, a better one then I had before. They also spoke very good english here in this restaurant. I had no problems at all here.

• Beer Tasting

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

McDonald.: Budget food.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 16, 2010

Well, if you are in a hurry and need something to get in your stomache very fast and you dont care what you eat, then I recommend McDonalds for you in the center of Lyon. I just ate once here, because I was really hungry. Otherwise I would never put my foot at this place when I am in France and especially in Lyon. Because the French are very concerned about their cuisine and it shall only be the best parts of the animal and vegetables. Not any bad stuff here!

Favorite Dish: A hamburger and a juice.

• seoulgirl's Profile Photo

Aux Trois Cochons: Don't miss the frogs legs on Saturday

by seoulgirl Written Dec 7, 2009
    The interior

We stumbled on this restaurant after spending the early afternoon at the street market. They were having a frog leg special that they only have on Saturdays. And there other dishes were a steak and steak tartare, that's it. Oh, and a tagine (which looked fabulous).

It's really ecclectic and very local type of restaurant. Everyone knows each other. It's very cosy and laid back.

Favorite Dish: We had the frogs legs with a dish of creamy potatoes (a staple in France it seems). They were super tender and flavorful, garlic, bread crumbs, and herbs. Super yummy! 16 euro for a huge huge plate.

Call ahead for specials.

• Ipanema_Princess's Profile Photo

Restaurant de Fourvière: Ok food but slow slow service

by Ipanema_Princess Updated Oct 21, 2009

Restaurant de Fourvi��re

The restaurant is located on the Fourviere hill, very close to the famous Basilique.
    It has a beautiful view all over the city of Lyon.

Ok.. that was for the positive aspects !
    I went to have lunch there with some friends. From the beginning we informed the waitress that we had little time so she said to choose the menu and it would be quick.
    Apparently we don't have the same definition of the world quick since our meal arrived almost one hour after that...

Also they are not very flexible since they refused to make a sandwhich for someone that needed to eat on the go. And for kids, they said they have no french fries, and no pasta since children should just eat like anyone else...

There was no particular complain or anything remarkable about the food, it was simple but good.
    However I didn't like their attitude so...you can probably find better.

• Eskis: Incredible restaurant and new way of cooking!

by Eskis Written May 22, 2008
    An example of dishes

The "Eskis" restaurant is a totaly new concept. I had never eaten such food before! The young and gifted chef uses modern technics to make his dishes. This way of cooking is called "molecular cook".

Anyway, products are all fresh and the dishes have an incredible presentation and all test very good.

I think you'll be surprised as well as i was when i went there. It's worth it!

• tweetycaro's Profile Photo

Veng Hour: having lunch in the centre commercial

by tweetycaro Written Oct 22, 2007

This was a surprise, between all of the sandwich shops in the commercial centre we found this great chinese place, the line was long, the food delicious and the price was even better.

Favorite Dish: we (two of us) had the following :
    rice, 2x shrimps nobashi, 2x nems vegetarian, 2x crevette rolls, 1x chicken curry, 1x calamars basil and a chicken brochette and paid 25euro.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Brasserie Georges: Brasserie Georges

by ATLC Updated Sep 16, 2007

Brasserie Georges is a miracle of architecture. Built in the 1800s, it has a 600 square metres ceiling without pillars! Both pictures (interior and facade in 1836) are taken from the website below.

Tip originally written 26 Aug. 2002

Favorite Dish: Tripes moutarde, onion soup with egg yolk and madeira and 'pot de Lyon' (0.46 litre of wine in characteristic slim tall bottles). The restaurant specialises in local specialities.
    Even back in 1992 there was a smoking and non smoking area. One waiter takes care of you food-wise, another waiter assigns himself to your wine wishes.

• Klod5's Profile Photo

Le Petit Rabelais: Au pied de la Cathedrale

by Klod5 Written Jun 10, 2007
    Olia au Petit Rabelais

En plein coeur de Lyon face à la cathédrale Saint Jean, le cadre du Petit Rabelais est très agréable et touristique. A l'extérieur, la terrasse se situe sur une zone piétonne, et l'intérieur semble toujours ensoleillé grâce aux tons clairs de la pièce. Mise à part la traditionnelle cuisine lyonnaise (gâteau de foie, saucisson chaud et quenelles) l'une des spécialités du chef est le flan de thon et sa fondue de poireaux. L'accueil est sympathique et l'apéritif est offert tous les soirs jusqu'à 20h.

• Beer Tasting
    • Women's Travel

• plancarpin's Profile Photo

René Nardone: best ice creams in Lyon

by plancarpin Written May 17, 2007

over 40 flavors! open daily (except winter) till midnight; be prepared to queue during hot summer days! nice shaddy terrace; open since 70 years, this is a real institution in town

Favorite Dish: glace pain d'epice (ginger bread ice cream)

• eversure's Profile Photo

Stefaro's: Lyonnaise cuisine

by eversure Written Mar 4, 2007

You need to make a reservation even if its 2 hours before. The place is small and homey. The owner is a jolly fellow who looks after the diners like his guests. When you go to his restaurant you go to his territory and he is the boss. He has a booming voice. It felt a bit like home.

Favorite Dish: Hubby ordered tripe. It was breaded lightly with a buttery texture complemented by an herby lyonnaise sauce. I had chicken. It was the sauce that was the piece de resistance. The chicken was tender of course but the sauce was what I remember the most. Hubby topped the meal with espresso. Thick and dark. Rich coffee smell with a pleasant slightly bitter aftertaste. No nonsense coffee.

• podinfrance's Profile Photo

Don't follow reccomendations

by podinfrance Written Dec 10, 2006

I don't want to incur too much rage, but Lyonaise food...eh? I understand that it may be the seat of French culinary history, but it should be left to history! Now I'm talking about "traditional" food. There is plenty of great food, in fact in Lyon you probably have a better chance of scoring a great meal by just wandering into any ol' restaurant than in any other city in the world. But give up the quest for "traditional Lyonaise Food" we tried several before we realized that the traditional stuff was a bit heavy, wierd, and dare I say Bland? Sort of comfort food from the middle ages! But wow, we had some great meals by happenstance, my reccomendation here is to avoid the reccomendations. Walk the foodie streets and when a plat du jour sounds good...sit down!

• scanos's Profile Photo

Le Garet: Great Meat dishes

by scanos Written Mar 19, 2006

This is a restaurant in the centre of Lyon very much for Francophiles. The cuisine is excellent and the sevice first class. It tends to attract locals, including businessmen. It's closed saturday and Sunday. It contributes significantly to the Lyon's claim to be the culinary capital of France.

Not for the faint hearted, the menu includes heart and brain from various animals, but most of the dishes are very palatable. The lunch menu includes wine and be careful with dessert and coffee, as they will often add liqueur to it, with little prompting.

Favorite Dish: Saucissons Lyonaisse with fresh vegetables, particularly asparagus and aubergines.

• RESTOPIRATE: CUISINE SAUVAGE WORD FOOD

by 2live Written Mar 7, 2006

RESTOPIRATE IS A NEW CONCEPT IN LYON, IN THE OLD AREA OF THE CITY ( Vieux Lyon).
    IT OFFERS FOREIGN FOOD AND THE MENU CHANGES EVERY WEEK FOR THE PLEASURE OF THE REGULAR CUSTOMERS.
    THIS PLACE IS COOL WITH POP ROCK MUSIC, AND THE PIRATE'S STAFF TAKES CARE OF US.
    IT'S NOT ONLY VERY GOOD,BUT IT'S ALSO CHEAP !!!!
    I ENJOYED THE SPECIALS RUM RECIPIES ( I RECOMMEND THE JACKASS FRACASS ONE).
    IF YOU'RE LOST IN ST JEAN, DON'T HESITATE TO TRY THIS ORIGINAL PLACE...

Favorite Dish: BIG TARTIFLETTE OF 1 KG / PERSON.
    THE MENU CHANGES EVERY WEEK.

• Study Abroad

• tomerik's Profile Photo

La Nef Des Fous: Superb French restaurant

by tomerik Written Nov 6, 2005

Great French restaurant in Vieux Lyon. Superbly decorated restaurant in ancient style over two levels but still small and cosy. The cuisine is French with a wide variety of meat and fish along with local specialities. Frequented by locals and hopefully it will remain as a "hidden treasure".

Favorite Dish: Favorite dish in a French restaurant ? C'mon, everything on the meny is delicious!

Instant Answers: Lyon

Comments

Lyon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lyon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lyon sightseeing.