Lyon Shopping

1. Outdoor market by the Saône
    2. People at the outdoor market
  • 3. Eating and drinking at La Buvette Bonaparte
    3. Eating and drinking at La Buvette...

Best Rated Shopping in Lyon

• RichardBlaine's Profile Photo

Axelle Rude-Bettolo, Roaster @ Halle de Lyon: 'French Roast' Coffee

by RichardBlaine Updated Mar 6, 2005

Axelle at Work

Halle de Lyon is a food shopper's paradise in downtown Lyon. Butchers, bakers, and coffee roasters extraordinaire.

What to buy: Let Axelle Rude-Bettolo blend a special coffee just for you. She will numerically code it so that your own unique blend can be recreated when you visit a second time. She is very cordial, professional, and extremely talented when it comes to coffee. Her english is excellent, and she will allow you to practice your bad French without rebuking you.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Shopping

by keeweechic Updated Aug 8, 2006

With its department stores and pedestrian precincts, its luxury goods shops and fashion boutiques - not to mention one of the largest shopping centres in Europe - Lyon is a shoppers paradise. The main shopping area in town, the Presquile has its hub between the Rhone and Saone. There is a wide range of shops which are sprinkled with loads of bars, cafes and theatres.

B.H.V.: b1bob's Lyon shopping tip nº6

by b1bob Updated Apr 4, 2011

B.H.V.

B.H.V. is rather like a French Home Depot or Lowe's.

What to buy: Housewares, furnishings, and all manner of do-it-yourself items can be found here. Luc was looking for an artificial Christmas tree to adorn the flat, some ornaments, lights, and a star. The first 3 were no problem, we found them here. The star was another ballgame (we a sorry looking star at the Carrefour at the other end of the mall). Luc went home and he set up the artificial Christmas tree. Because I'm very clumsy in terms of decorating and my taste is questionable to some, I don't help set up the Christmas tree even at home. The lights Luc bought turned out to blink. Baby Florian sure enough liked them, but they drove me crazy. It's a good thing Florian isn't epileptic!

What to pay: Reasonable prices.

Carrefour: b1bob's Lyon shopping tip nº1

Carrefour

Carrefour is rather like a French Wal-Mart. Like Wal-Mart, you can find Carrefour in both Argentina and Brazil. We don't have Carrefour in the USA yet, though.

What to buy: The first time, Luc and I were searching for a Christmas tree star, which by 7 December, were as rare as Democrats in Hanover County. We finally found a sorry-looking specimen, but you can't be choosy when you pick your Christmas tree star this late in the game.

The second time, Luc and Isabelle were buying things for Christmas and fixins for Florian's first birthday party the following Saturday (16 December). I thought it would be an hour or so at the Carrefour (meanwhile, I would exchange my francs into dollars and get James Ayres some herbs from Provence- the only reason I went along with them) and that would be the lot...like Gilligan's Island was supposed to be a 3-hour tour.

Although I had changed all my paper money back into good old American currency, I had enough coinage to buy those herbs for James. As I was looking for the herbs, I ran into a stewardess named Leslie who, it turned out, was to be part of my crew on the following day's trip over the big pond. At first, I thought she was French, so I asked her how to find the herbs from Provence in French. She must have thought I was French too. It was the first American voice I've heard since landing 8 days before. They fly from New York to Lyon every Tuesday evening, land on Wednesday morning, have the rest of that day free, and fly back on Thursday mornings. Leslie had to go meet up with the rest of the crew which included Calvin and Ruth from the flight over.

Luc and Isabelle bought enough groceries and whatnots to feed all of Rhône Alpes and parts of Isère. Since the grocery section of Carrefour was on the 4th floor and we parked in the bowels of the underground parking deck, I wondered about the logistics of getting that buggy full of groceries down to the Peugeot. It turns out, there is a freight lift which is big enough to hold two full buggies of groceries and right many people to boot.

What to pay: Like Wal-Mart, Carrefour is reasonably priced.

Super U: b1bob's Lyon shopping tip nº3

by b1bob Updated Apr 4, 2011

Super U

Super U is a chain of French grocery stores.

What to buy: You would think grocery stores are pretty much the same all over the world. The basic layout is the same, there are trolleys, and check stands, but the French grocery stores are stocked with things Americans would only find in special gourmet shops such as tabouli, pâté, and other things you simply can't find at Ukrop's or the Wal-Mart Super Centre. We bought cassoulet (a fancy word for beans and franks), chocolate bread, pâté, tabouli, and other stuff some people from Roxboro might not have heard of.

What to pay: The prices seemed reasonable.

Part-Dieu Shopping Centre: b1bob's Lyon shopping tip nº4

Lyon Part Dieu

Part-Dieu is a big shopping centre in the middle of downtown Lyon. Instead of spreading it out like Virginia Center Commons and Regency Square back home, they have the same amount of stores, they just build them up into a compact 4-storey building. I went here twice. The first time, I had to change my traveler's cheques into French francs. The Thomas Cook change kiosk was outside the shopping centre and across the street. Luc was afraid I would fall into a hole on the way. Now, why would I be up to doing something so daft? I was more worried about my travelers cheques or my paper money blowing away in the strong wind. I managed to hang onto it as I got a good rate of exchange (7 francs to the dollar). The second time was nearly a week later when Luc, Isabelle and I were looking to buy a whole buggyful of fixins for baby Florian's first birthday.

What to buy: Anything and everything is available...

What to pay: ...in all price ranges.

Galeries Lafayette: b1bob's Lyon shopping tip nº5

Galeries Lafayette, Lyon Part-Dieu

Galeries Lafayette is a French department store chain. Each storefront looks decisively different. That's why I have a tip for this in Paris, Nice, and here in Lyon.

What to buy: All I planned to buy on this particular outing was some scented soap for Grandma Atkins. I found just that at the Galleries Lafayette department store, scented in vanilla, chocolate, and orange vanilla.

What to pay: Everything that Luc and I bought seemed to be reasonably priced.

Mandragore: Medieval Shop

by tweetycaro Written Mar 29, 2004

This is a small shop in Old Lyon in one of the Traboules full of old jewelry, old furniture, leather,.... all celtic and gothic inspired.

Open from thuesday till sunday from 14 till 19h

Galeries Lafayette

by tweetycaro Updated Apr 4, 2011

lafayette

Galeries Lafayette is a huge department Store for women, men and children clothing, toys, make-up, parfum, .... you name it they got it. They also have all the brands.

• tweetycaro's Profile Photo

Tati: i love this shop !!

by tweetycaro Written Oct 22, 2007

this is such a great place, they also sell some of the brands in cosmetics like Nivea, the childrens clothing is great.

Instant Answers: Lyon

Comments

Lyon Shopping

Reviews and photos of Lyon shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lyon sightseeing.