Saint-Rémy Travel Guide

Saint-Rémy Local Customs

by edwis Written Jun 20, 2007

. Near St. Remy we found the ancient settlement of “Glanum”, a ancient Roman ruins site. They said it is one of the four most famous monuments in all of France (we guessed that they’ve never been to Paris). Still intact are a very large and impressive “Triumphal Arch” and the “Julius Mausoleum” tower. Across the roadway is the old mental sanitarium hospital where Van Gogh spent some time trying to get his head screwed on straight. We did a self guided tour finding his tiny room that has been preserved. This is also where he painted the famous sunflowers and fields of lavender. In St Remy one evening, we came across some kind of veteran’s ceremony, where the classic old-time mayor with a red-white –blue French banner across his chest read some proclamation and a drummer and horn player provided the music to a crowd of about 20.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Archeology

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

by skywalkerbeth Written Jan 20, 2005

Click, click, clank, clank! These will become familiar sounds to you if you travel in France. Who said football was the national game of France? I daresay it is petanque (boules).

if you see something which looks like a sandbox, in a tranquil, well shaded spot - wait around, you might be lucky enough to watch a game.

shhhh, all quiet now, play in progress
    • Theater Travel

• Saint-Rémy Hotels

0 Hotels in Saint-Rémy

Saint-Rémy Tourist Traps

by edwis Written Jun 20, 2007

Across the roadway is the old mental sanitarium hospital where VINCENT VAN GOGH spent some time trying to get his head screwed on straight. We did a self guided tour finding his tiny room that has been preserved. This is also where he painted the famous sunflowers and fields of lavender. In St Remy one evening, we came across some kind of veteran’s ceremony, where the classic old-time mayor with a red-white –blue French banner across his chest read some proclamation and a drummer and horn player provided the music to a crowd of about 20.

Fun Alternatives: BE SURE TO SEE THE GLANUM RUINS VERY CLOSEBY.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

Saint-Rémy Off The Beaten Path

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

by skywalkerbeth Updated Apr 4, 2011

on horseback.

I always strive to go horseback riding when I travel. So far I've gone riding in France a few times, and Peru. It's a brilliant way to see the countryside.

I would recommend going on the two hour tour with this group, not the one hour tour. They will take you wayyyy up into the Alpilles, and you will be so intent upon talking to your guide, and looking at your surroundings, that you may not find yourself looking backwards! But when you reach the top, you must! My biggest regret on this ride was that I didn't carry my camera with me. The view is breathtaking, from the top - and I understand you can only get there via horse, or foot.

an enjoyable way to spend the day
    • Horse Riding

by edwis Written Jun 20, 2007

Marie told us to be sure to come here on a Sunday for the town’s market day. Oh my god, the whole town was a giant street market. Parking was about 5 blocks away and Joan creatively parked our little car up on a sidewalk, perpendicular to the street. We then wandered around amongst some very large crowds, but loved it all. There are little streams running all throughout this village complete with a green moss covered working water-wheel. On some back neighborhood streets, we found some type of local event using 2-man boat race in canoes circling the town, going under some very low bridges. The racers actually had to lie down in the canoe as they went under some bridges. The crowds were cheering the teams from the bridges and side walks. Eventually, everyone fell into the stream one way or another and ended up drinking beer at the finish line standing in the waist deep water. What a kick that was!

• Festivals

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Saint-Rémy? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Saint-Rémy

Comments

Saint-Rémy Travel Guide
Map of Saint-Rémy