Val Thorens Travel Guide

Val Thorens - Col
    by mikula
    Cafebar Snesko in Val Thorens
    by mikula
    View from one of the many peaks
    by surf_grrl

Val Thorens Hotels

Val Thorens Nightlife

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

by Dizzyhead Written Jan 24, 2010

This is a perfect place to spend your time after the skiing. Here you can drink beer and listen to some live band, usually a band who play covers.

Dress Code: When it is afterski here, you will come in your ski clothes, and you dont have to be dressed up. Come with a good smile on your lips and enjoy the good time and sing with the artists.

• Dutch1980's Profile Photo
    from the outside

by Dutch1980 Written Nov 8, 2006

The Yorin bar in Val Thorens is a dutch apres ski bar...
    Good atmosphere, dutch song and sing along songs and a lot of alcohol.

Just a real apres ski bar were you can party after a day of fighting with the snow.

Dress Code: Wintersport outfit

• Beer Tasting

• Dutch1980's Profile Photo
    outside the pub

by Dutch1980 Written Nov 8, 2006

Cafe Snesko is Danish pub in the ski resort Val Thorens.
    There is live music and the band plays Danish and famous hits that you can sing along.
    The band plays till 22.00 hour and sometimes longer ass long as the people pay...

We visited the pub to escape from our fellow dutch to sniff some danish atmosphere, I thing its a very good bar with a great atmosphere....

we yelled often Sköll .... ( cheers)

so take a look there

Dress Code: casual, wintersport outfit

• Beer Tasting

Val Thorens Tourist Traps

• Expensive view

by surf_grrl Written Feb 11, 2008

The food at the cafes on top of the mountains is, in a word, exorbitant. You are pretty much paying for the luxury of sitting and eating in a stunning location. A plate of fries cost 5 to 7 Euros (about $7 to $10 CAD). A 500ml bottle of water - 5 Euros. A nicoise salad - 14 Euros. You are not allowed to bring your own food onto the patios, so if you want to bask, you do have to buy at least a beer.

The consolation is that sitting in the sun on one of the balconies truly is fabulous.

Unique Suggestions: Enjoy the view! Have a glass of mulled wine!

Fun Alternatives: Pack a lunch and it it on the lift.

• Spa and Resort

Val Thorens Sports & Outdoors

• View from one of the many peaks

by surf_grrl Written Feb 11, 2008

I can't possibly say just how much I loved skiing at Val Thorens, part of the Three Valleys ski area.

The location is spectacular - the resort town is at 2300m, and once you take a lift up one of the peaks, you are on top of the world. Looking in any direction gives you a stunning vista of endless peaks. I get the impression that the weather is usually very good. We skied for 4 days, and it was perfectly sunny for 3 out of the 4. This means that you can spend your lunch time or the end of the afternoon basking at the top of a mountain while you enjoy your beer.

The lift system is impressive. There are about 200 lifts. Most of the ones we rode were detachable quads and gondolas, with the odd triple and cable car. Our 4-day pass cost averaged out to around 42 Euros per day, and allowed us to ski all 3 valleys. The only time we had a line-up of any significance - about ten minutes - was a line for a gondola at the end of the day (when everyone was heading home), and there was an alternative set of lifts we took the following day at the same time which had no lines. Essentially, we skied right on to most lifts. Your lift pass is like a little cardboard credit card that you put in your pocket, which is read automatically as you pass through a turnstile - very efficient.

Europeans seem to prefer groomed piste skiiing over bumps, so the runs were generally perfectly groomed and very cruisy. We did get a dump of snow one day that gave us some moguls (to the dismay of our German and Austrian companions, who were all excellent skiers and who generally out-skied us on the groomers). The run difficulty indicators are perhaps a little exaggerated by North American standards, with the "Black" runs being what I would consider a difficult "Blue" over here, and nothing resembling a double or triple black diamond. That being said, there are plenty of opportunities to ski off-piste if more difficulty is desired, and off-piste skiing is not at all frowned upon.

Equipment: I don't think it is hard to rent equipment - our accomodation had a rental shop right off the lobby, and there were plenty of shops throughout the village.

As far as what to wear, I wore what I would wear at my home mountains (coastal British Columbia i.e. Whistler and Vancouver Island) and I was plenty warm - very thin long undies, a thin layer over top, a lined water-proof jacket with no extra fill, unlined snowboard pants, and a helmet. I had to take the vents covers out of my helmet to stay cool.

• Spa and Resort

Instant Answers: Val Thorens

Comments

Val Thorens Travel Guide
Map of Val Thorens