Related Europe Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Europe

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

In the south of Europe.

by Dizzyhead Written Sep 8, 2013

Favorite thing: When you travel to the South of Europé. Be sure that you have a fresh orange juice drink. It is so Lovely and deliciously during the hot summer Days and you also get a lots of needed vitamins for your heart and body! Enjoy!

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Avoiding high roaming costs

by lotharscheer Updated Jul 16, 2013

Favorite thing: Removing the SIM lock is in some countries legal (like Austria, usualy €10 in many fone shops, but might not be possible or more expensive for some new, sophisticated fones), in others illegal (like Germany). You also can get a cheap fone without a contract for € 20 to 30.
    You can buy a prepaid SIM card in most countries, there is a ceiling of 28,6 cent/minute for active roaming and for passive roaming 7 cent/minute (from july 2014 it will be 22,6 cent/minute) per minute for EU SIM cards roaming inside the EU and Norway and Island, but much more for calls outside EU. Local calls with Austrian prepaid SIM card for around 7 cents (depending on Provider).
    Data roaming with a SIM card from a EU country within the EU and Norway and Island 53,6 cent/MByte, from july 2014 it will be 23,8 cent/MByte..

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Ukraine > Lviv region

by Raimix Written Jan 5, 2013

Favorite thing: In Ukrainian: Львівська область.

I have been to Lviv, Olesko and Zhovkva in Lviv region.

This Ukrainian region is known for an interesting feature: it has synthesis of West and East, as it was part of Lithuanian Grand Duchy, Poland Kingdom, Austria and so on. Place as Lviv is full of Western style architecture, so some places looks like Vienna or Prague. Zhovkva comes with Renaissance architecture. All land is plain, bordered with Poland and known for revolutionary place against official authority.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Avoid whistle stops

by Maryimelda Updated Nov 13, 2012

Favorite thing: There are many travellers who, like me, think that this might be their one and only chance to see Europe so they are determined to squeeze as much into each day as possible. This is a huge mistake folks. Don't be tempted to just "tick boxes" so you can say you've been there. I have learnt well since I first began travelling regularly to Europe in 2002, to pick out the places I REALLY want to see and to put others on the back burner in the hope that there will be another trip.'Believe me there is nothing worse than spending a few hours or one night in a fascinating town or city and then finding out when you get home all of the things you didn't see. It is also super tiring packing up every day and lugging your baggage around on a daily basis.

I also learnt not to book trains, flights etc too early in the morning unless it is absolutely necessary and there is no other option. When I have a really early start, I find that I do not sleep at all because I am afraid that I won't wake up in time and that the early morning wake up call won't come. I have now made it my very strict travel policy not to board a train before 9am at least. That way I have plenty of time to wake up, finish my packing and have a leisurely breakfast before the train goes.

• Trains

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Be proud to be a tourist in Europe

by Maryimelda Updated Oct 16, 2012

Favorite thing: Why do so many people on this forum have such a low regard for "tourists"? Are these people so naive that they don't realise that anyone who travels anywhere in the world for the purpose of seeing the sights is a tourist? Or do they really consider themselves to be so bloody special that they don't rate as "tourists"? It never ceases to amaze me how many people subscribe to VT (Virtual TOURIST) and yet consider themselves to be somehow made of better stuff than the "tourists". The way I see it, we are all toursits, like it or not. I for one am perfectly content in the role and very grateful that I have had the good fortune to be able to see a little of this wonderful world of ours. Consequently, you can call me what you like, I'll still keep travelling for as long as I am able. I do understand that there are some who simply don't like the queues or the inflated prices etc. that popular tourist destinations are full of, but I can't for the life of me, understand the attitude that tourists are the lowest of the low. I especially have to smile when VTers write wonderful tips and travel pages for the purpose of enticing others to go to a particular place, but at the same time warn against the many tourists they will find there!!!!! "Go early or stay late to avoid the tourists!" I would prefer to have them say "to avoid the crowds", that I could readily accept, but I can't accept the fact that "tourist" to some is a dirty word.

Be proud to be a tourist in Europe. There are millions of people the world over who would give their eye teeth to be able to join the hoardes of tourists there.

• Photography
    • Castles and Palaces

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Answer to Forum Question - October, 2012

by riorich55 Written Oct 7, 2012

Favorite thing: Hi Heidi and another welcome to VirtualTourist.

First one quick suggestion. Although this is a very friendly sight with plenty of friendly members you still want to be a little cautious. Therefore on your profile here on VirtualTourist I would recommend you don't include your full name. If you need any help with how to delete your last name you can post here and we can help you.

A little of my international travel background next. My wife and I did our first international travel only 4 years ago after all our 4 children had graduated college and we finally had some additional funds to start some major trips. On our first trip we went to London, Paris and several areas in Switzerland. All our travel in and around the cities and countries was by train or buses. Our second trip was just this year and we went to 4 of the 5 places you are going to (Rome, Florence, Barcelona and Paris again) plus a few others. We only speak a few words of French, Italian and Catalan, but had absolutely no problem in any of the areas we visited as most people do also speak English and even if they don't you can communicate with some gestures, pictures, etc and you will be fine.

Now some answers to your questions which I will answer as a father of a daughter and 3 sons. My daughter actually went to Europe for 28 days with a friend of hers a few weeks after graduating college and so actually beat my wife and I on international travel. I will answer by city from our experiences.

Rome - We were in Rome for 3 days for the first time this past May. Rome is a fairly compact city so walking around is probably the best way to get from place to place. We stayed on the other side of the Tiber River near Vatican City because we knew we would spend almost an entire day there. On our ventures to the main part of Rome on the other side of the Tiber River we walked over one day, took a bus on another day and the metro on yet another. We also took a taxi from our bed and breakfast on the final morning to the main train station for our trip to Florence. The buses we took were very easy and well marked. You can buy tickets at any pharmacy (look for the Green Crosses). Can't remember the exact fares, but they were relatively inexpensive. The Metro at night was very crowded and we did have to push our way out at one of the spots we were going to. I'm a 6 foot tall male so it makes it easy for me to see in a crowded metro, but my wife at 5 foot 3 inches obviously cannot and relied on me to see. In most metros you do want to keep anything valuable you have close at hand. My wife carried her rather large camera in a camera bag wrapped in front of her on any public transportation. This trip I carried my iPad in a small brief case and also carried a smaller camera/camcorder. Again I kept these close to my body (in front of me) when I was standing, sitting or pushing my way out of the Rome metro.

Florence - On our 1 day visit we walked just about everywhere and later in the day got on a local bus and just rode it around to see a little more of Florence (literally rode it in a circle for about 30 minutes). Got off near the river as it was approaching sunset and we wanted to get off and take some more pictures.

Barcelona - We spent 4 days here a little further from the center of town actually 1/3 the way up Mt Tibadabo. We walked down each day to the Barcelona Metro which was by far the cleanest Metro or Subway system I have ever been in. Also one of the cheapest. You could buy 10 tickets for under 10 Euros and get to most places in town. We also took a bus one day from the Mt Tibadabo area to the Barcelonetta area near the sea. I would not hesitate to take the Metro in Barcelona no matter what time of day. We felt very safe.

Paris - Since this was our 2nd trip we knew the Paris Metro fairly well this time around. We still haven't been on a bus in Paris although that would be another great way of seeing the city going from place to place. The Paris Metro is heavily used and during certain hours will be very crowded. We have travelled on the Metro with our suitcases with us on both trips. My tip for the Paris Metro with suitcases is to sit near the end of each car again with the suitcase, backpack or both right in front of you. When you exit keep a good grip on anything and don't be distracted by the numerous forms of entertainment going on in a lot of the Paris Metro stops. If you do stop and watch any entertainment keep your back up against a wall and enjoy the show. In fact I suggest that in any Metro or Subway in the U.S. as well. I've ridden the subway in Chicago every since I was a kid.

I think that's enough for now. The other suggestions you've gotten have been great. I will also give you one other source that some of my European VTers may not like, but I like his advice. Rick Steves (who is from Edmonds, Washington in your neck of the woods) has some very good guide books and shows on PBS that are very good. I would recommend his book Europe Through The Back Door as an excellent source of information for a first time traveler to Europe from the U.S.

Please use VT for additional questions and if you click on our names you will be taken to our home pages where you can see tips we have individually written on our personal experiences.

• Photography
    • Architecture

• Train Travel in Europe

by kathydonaldson Written Jul 10, 2012

Favorite thing: Yes, via train and 1/2 day to see the cathedral, baptismal and tower is sufficient

Please consider taking only a backpack as luggage, you will enjoy your trip more.
    Site: All of Rome!

Fondest memory: I miss the public transportation.
    Best memory: Chappelle next to Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

• Trains

• maz100's Profile Photo

Magic words

by maz100 Written Jun 14, 2012

Favorite thing: I don't know how writing a tip became a favourite thing, but my tip is as follows:
    Learn the words for good morning in the language of every country you visit and use them on the help. This will reap great rewards like clean sheets when you least expect them.

Fondest memory: Good cheap wine

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Answer to Forum Question - May, 2012

by riorich55 Written May 22, 2012

Favorite thing: Your scenario or as I'm starting to refer to questions as "Your Travel Style"

My wife and I just got back from 18 days in Europe so here are some of those reflections and some suggestions to help you along.

First the countries you are planning to possibly visit (Spain, Greece and Czech Republic).
    - You have narrowed down Czech Republic to Prague but just list Spain and Greece. Both are large countries especially Spain and in both there are different regions.
    - I will only give you some idea on Barcelona, Spain as we were just there less then 2 weeks ago for 4 days. I have no personal experience with the Czech Republic or Greece as of yet, so I won't comment on those.

1) Can only travel in February - My first question to you would be does weather have an affect on how you plan? Do you like warmer or colder weather or doesn't it really matter. My travel style would stay away from very warm or very cold places because I am a middle of the road traveller on vacation (between 50 F and 80 F or 10 C and 25 C. You will need to determine your personal style.

2) I only have 2 weeks holiday - You either must be from the USA like we are or some other country with limited holidays (our recent 18 day trip was the longest we've ever taken). Here is my question for you here. Are you going to limit yourself to one area or country in the 2 week time frame? Do you want to travel around a bit or stay in one hotel/hostal/hostel/b&b?

3) I can speak only English - The same for my wife and I. We have travelled to major European cities of Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona in the past 4 years and have gone to smaller cities of Bern, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne in Switzerland and Riomaggiore and Stresa in Italy. We were not hampered in any of these cities by our lack of language skills. You can easily pick up a few words in each language, especially thank you, hello and goodbye and bring small translations books or computer software for a mobile device to help you along.

4) Extremely concern for personal safety - I am going to guess from your VT name that you are a single female. My wife and I have travelled together and I have done a lot of business travel in the United States, Mexico and Canada in my days so I probably can't give you an answer for your personal situation. As far as Barcelona was concerned my wife and I were riding their metro every evening after 9:00 p.m. Everybody from young children to older adults were riding and we had no fear at all.

5) Current situation in Spain and Greece - I am not sure how that would personally affect your travel. I would not think there is going to be mass chaos and I don't expect that the countries will shut down. Maybe minor things will affect travelers, but I think it is more of a worry and problem for their citizens.

6) We love to take pictures also (over 3,000 between my wife and I after 18 days in Europe in addition to my 4 hours of video). We do a number of museums that interest us and sometimes it will depend on the weather. In rainy London and Paris we did museums on rainy days. In sunny Barcelona all of our activities were outside and we did not go to any museums on our 4 days there.

If you have any specific questions about Barcelona as you plan I will be more then willing to help you with that city if you decide you need more information.

• grayfo's Profile Photo

History of Europe

by grayfo Written May 16, 2012

Favorite thing: About 100 million years ago the great land masses of Africa and India collided with Europe and Asia and caused the crust of the earth to crumple upwards in a long almost continuous ridge of high ground. The western side of this is Europe and it is separated from Africa and India to the South by more natural barriers; formed by the waters of the Dardanelles, the Sea of Marmara, the Bosporus, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea.

• Unlimited offline maps for iPhone users

by JasonBern Updated May 10, 2012

Favorite thing: I am an iPhone user and iPhone has no offline maps, means, I need to pay 3G to get maps.

I found an app that provides offline maps for more than 5000 cities around the world. Their website is - http://besttravelapp.org/#, which gives the list of all the cities they have, and you can also ask them to add any city if you want.

They also have list of restaurants, hotels etc. in on the map. And, the cool thing is that they have language help too if you are going to a foreign country and you don't know the language.

You can download it from appstore http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/best-travel-offline-maps/id501782148?mt=8

Fondest memory: I miss pesto pasta the most :).

One of my best memories visiting Colosseum; wait, it gets better - after all the walking, we were hungry and exhausted, found great food and wine :). You really cannot find bad food in Rome.

Foreign exchange

by gwened Written Apr 26, 2012

Favorite thing: best is to use the ATM in town, not at airports. than ask your US bank for correspondant banks in UK, need to press for this but will provide. that way no withdrawal fees.
    You can check the members of the global aTM alliance for free ATM withdrawals fees.
    here are some specifics on it

And its always good to come with some change in Pounds for the hot press coffee at the airport lol! or tea ::)

Credit cards carry fees on purchases, check your bank contract ,these can be steep;depending on your bank,that I dont know. Compare the difference in using cash only or credit cards.

Hope it helps your planning

Fondest memory: visiting the Thames and tower of London,St Paul, Westminster etc

• Architecture

• simiritch's Profile Photo

Speak english only?

by simiritch Written Apr 20, 2012

Favorite thing: Every country I visit I learn to politely ask "pardon me, do you speak english?" And learn to say "thank you". Most all are appreciative that you dont assume they speak english. All they can say is no, or be rude to you doing so. Every country has it's malcontents. If you get one, walk away and feel bad for them that they carry a grudge. Dont let it bother you. You are on vacation!

flash or not ,it is Art to protect

by gwened Written Apr 11, 2012

Favorite thing: I am ok for no flash to preserve the work, but not allowed it because some rich company bought the copyright to it is ridiculous. Never heard of it.

only the Louvre is opening branches in Lens north of France (opening Dec 2012!) and Abu Dhabi (2014) lol!

Fondest memory: walking the streets and soaking in on the artful sights

Free WiFi and WiFi connections in Europe

by gwened Written Mar 8, 2012

Favorite thing: plenty available for free , near city govt building,libraries, McDonalds as prev mentioned;some require a password, and some require a small fee. But you wont have a problem connecting cheaper with your laptop I do it all the time in Europe.

these sites will help you find it near you

HOpe it helps

Fondest memory: stay in touch with loves ones and friends

• Business Travel

180 Reviews - 362 Photos
Palma de Mallorca Hotels
735 Reviews - 1882 Photos

Instant Answers: Europe

Comments

Europe Favorites

Reviews and photos of Europe favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Europe sightseeing.
Map of Europe

Popular Countries in Europe

United Kingdom Favorites  Italy Favorites  France Favorites  Spain Favorites  Germany Favorites  Greece Favorites  Netherlands Favorites  Portugal Favorites  Ireland Favorites  Belgium Favorites  Switzerland Favorites  Austria Favorites  Sweden Favorites  Croatia Favorites  Poland Favorites  Norway Favorites  Russia Favorites  Denmark Favorites  Hungary Favorites  Czech Republic Favorites  Bulgaria Favorites  Finland Favorites  Romania Favorites  Malta Favorites  Cyprus Favorites  Ukraine Favorites  Slovenia Favorites  FYR of Macedonia Favorites  Iceland Favorites  Bosnia and Herzegovina Favorites  Republic of Serbia Favorites  Lithuania Favorites  Estonia Favorites  Republic of Montenegro Favorites  Albania Favorites  Slovakia Favorites  Latvia Favorites  Luxembourg Favorites  Gibraltar Favorites  Monaco Favorites  Belarus Favorites  Moldova Favorites  Vatican City Favorites  Andorra Favorites  Liechtenstein Favorites  Svalbard Favorites

More Countries in Europe

Europe Members Meetings

May 01, 2014
VT@Budapest
May 03, 2014
VT@Berlin
May 13, 2014
Gwened is in town again!
May 20, 2014