Bad Tölz Restaurants

• Germknödel (wikimedia) (they serve 3 smaller ones)
    Germknödel (wikimedia) (they serve 3...
    by Turtleshell

Most Recent Restaurants in Bad Tölz

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Culinario: Simple and good

by Turtleshell Updated Nov 18, 2012

Coming from northern Germany, and having spent many years in Berlin, I can't do much with Bavarian "Gemütlichkeit", checked table-cloths, ornated chairs, chopped off deer heads on the wall, and all that.

So I'm happy there are a couple of restaurants in this ueber-Bavarian town one could find in Berlin, too: Sober, modern and with a menu that isn't spammed with liver-dumplings in dumpling-sauce and dumplings and dumplings.

One of those few restaurants would actually be more of a wine delivery service, catering service and deli shop with an enclosed bistro: Culinario.

When I say bistro, I meant to say delicatessen bistro. Culinario is not cheap, nor expensive. They serve simple, no-nonsense food and some good wine. The beautiful view over the river comes as an added bonus.

Only caveat would be that they only have few tables, and their bistro is crowded with local business people at noon. Being a shop and delivery service first, they close earlier than "real" restaurants: At 8pm.

Favorite Dish: Their menu changes frequently, hence I can't tell.

• Wine Tasting

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Kaffee Garten: Strudel and Germknödel

by Turtleshell Updated Oct 6, 2009

Germkn��del (wikimedia) (they serve 3 smaller ones)

Kaffee Garten is a coffeehouse situated at a corner between Schützenstrasse and Ludwigstrasse. This makes Kaffee Garten easy to find, but at the same time a bit noisy. This and the notoriously slightly annoyed service explain, why I didn't award Kaffee Garten five points.
    The Strudel and Germknödel they serve, however, deserve praise.

Strudel (German for eddy or whirl) is a pastry, which dough is difficult to make which explains why Strudel is a bit more expensive than a usual piece of cake. It is filled with apple or cherry, poppy seed, nuts or peach. There's at least half a dozen of Strudel variations to pick from.

Germknödel are yeast dough dumpling with melted butter and poppy seed on top. The original Germknödel is filled with spicy plum jam, but you can have other fillings as well, such as peach.

Both, Strudel and Germknödel, should be served warm and go well with vanilla sauce. Vanilla ice cream with Strudel is fine, too. And of course coffee - or, better yet, Cappuccino.
    Epicureans will have a field day.

• Seniors

• rdywenur's Profile Photo

First taste of dark German Beer here!

by rdywenur Updated Feb 22, 2004

How do I get across?

Favorite Dish: We stopped here for lunch and the food was great but I can't remember what I ate (my guess would be little bratwurst and German potatoe salad )

What I do remember is that this was the first time I tried Dark German Beer. Did not like it. I am not a beer drinker, but I did enjoy all the regular lighter beers.

Instant Answers: Bad Tölz

Comments

Bad Tölz Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bad Tölz restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bad Tölz sightseeing.