Bad Windsheim Things to Do

Freidlandmuseum Herb Garden

Best Rated Things to Do in Bad Windsheim

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 3 ~ BARN'S

Grabfeld area

As I continued on my way, in the first area, I discovered many different Barn's & Farmhouse's which had old, restored building's from the area of Grabfeld, Bavaria.

The Farmstead from Bahra, had a main building, with a pigsty, barn and drying house with a fruit kiln. A "Dröcke" (sort of balcony for drying herbs, fruit etc.) is typical of House's in the border area of Lower Franconia and Thuringia.

The next Farmstead was from Trappstadt, Grabfeld, and had a main House and Stable which was dated back to 1724. It also had a fruit kiln.

The last one, came from Muhfeld in Grabfeld, and had Stable's, Pigsty and Cow-shed that are about 300years old, and have been brought here from Herbstadt, Grabfeld.

I really loved these old building's, and was so glad they had been saved! Volunteer's from the Museum were working on restoring them when I was there. They certainly made them a solid structure back them with solid beam's that would last forever!

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 1

by balhannah Written Dec 14, 2011

Freiland Museum

On reading about this Open Air Village/Museum, I decided it was a must see on our tour of Germany.
    I went, I saw, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Village, thinking it was one of the best I had seen.

So, I will tell you a bit about it over a few tips, starting of with the important information first.

On arrival by Car at the Franconian Open Air Museum in Bad Windsheim, we found a huge Car park and a Toilet block. The car park has many Tree's, not quite big enough to give a lot of shade yet. From here, it is a short walk to the Entrance of the Park.

I probably walked many, many kilometre's here, because I wanted to see everything, but you don't have to if you can't. There are plenty of building's close by.
    I was there on a week-day, so people weren't in old costume's or doing chore's etc, but I do believe on weekends they are.

The Park took me back through 700 years of the everyday live's of people in Franconia. There were 100 authentically furnished houses, and these are spread around the park, often with quite a walk between the [small village's.] - These are grouped in 6 module's, and arranged by region's and topic's.
    Farmhouses, barns, mills, breweries, pubs, shepherds and artisans' houses were all open for me to wander through, and to see how different they were to what we have at home.

If you are lucky, or maybe you can plan it, they hold over 100 events annually, including museum festivals, exhibitions, concerts, outdoor theater and readings.

From May to October, daily-changing trades are shown as weaving, wool spinning, basket making, cooperage, wooden shoe making or forging.

Please check the website for opening times, as they vary through out the year, and sometimes it is closed on a Monday.

ADMISSION IN 2011....Adult's ...6euros..Family ticket ..15 euro's

On entry you are given a brochure, and pointed in the right direction to begin the tour of the Village.

• School Holidays

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 2 ~ THE HERB GARDEN

Freidlandmuseum Herb Garden

I have entered the Museum Village and now are walking towards my first compound of building's.
    Before I reach them, I notice quite a large Herb Garden.
    The garden's here are also grown and tended to in the "old" style, so you won't find modern equipment and tool's being used. The Museum worker's cultivate the field's with old style plough's and agricultural equipment, and use Horse's and Oxen to pull the plough's, etc.
    Further on, there were Fruit Tree's around the houses and more Vegetable garden's.

• School Holidays

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 8 ~ BAUERNHOF

Happy to see me!

The Bauernhof is a working farm from the Furth area. There are four building's in this group dating from 1684 to 1850.

I went into the Barn first, and here the Goat's were very happy to see me! They thought I had food for them, so they were out of luck, a pat on the head was all I could give!
    There were Pig's in the pig-sty, a mother Pig and her Piglet's.
    In the next section were the Cow's.

I walked around the yard, and then went into the Farmer's house to see how life was back then.
    An interesting area!

RATHAUS

Rathaus

Located in Bad Windsheim's Market Square, is the historic Rathaus. It was built in the Baroque style from 1713 to 1717.
    It was burnt down by fire in December 1730, and it wasn't until July 1732 it was rebuilt. It has a lovely Astronomical Clock on top of the Rathaus.

CHURCH OF ST. KILIAN

by balhannah Written Dec 16, 2011

The Church of St. Kilian was located close to the Rathaus.

The church dates back to a church of St. Martin in the year 740. In 1200, St. Kilian's Church was built, but was burnt down along with the art works by Tilman Riemenschneider in the great fire of 1730.
    Inside, it is quite plain with very little decoration, but does have a nice Organ that has been recently restored.
    The Tower you see when entering Bad Windsheim, is the Tower of this Church.

Open the rear door in Luther square to enter the Church.

OPEN....
    Monday to Friday 9.30 - 4.45PM
    Saturday and Sunday 9.30 - 5PM

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 4 ~ PARISH BREWERY

by balhannah Updated Dec 15, 2011

This Brewery was built in Alsleben, Grabfeld in 1836, and is now here at the Village.

It contains a Brewing room from Rugheim, and is still in working condition. Once a year, Beer is brewed here, and the public can try the brew at the Festival, which is usually held at the same time. There was a part where the Cooper was making the wooden barrel's, probably would see him working on a weekend, but I didn't on a weekday.

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 6 ~ OLD MACHINERY

Freilandmuseum

I walked and walked, looking into every building that I could.

In one, I found a display of old Tractor's, another of old vehicle's and farm implement's.
    Then in another old building, they were restoring the Wagon Wheel's. I saw how they managed to get the water from the Well in the old fashioned way, and some other working equipment that I can't remember what it is.
    Everywhere I went, there is a number and a description of what you are looking at. The trouble was, the brochure was only in German, so not much use to me!

MARKET SQUARE & FOUNTAIN

by balhannah Written Dec 17, 2011

Apotheke

The Market Square in Bad Windsheim is worth a wander around.
    When restructuring and digging in this square, architectural treasures of the Middle Ages and graves were found.

The Rathaus is here, and there is a very nice Rococco building built in 1743 and the Apothoke which is painted green [see photo] dating from 1717.

The Fountain, with a Statue of Kaiser Karl VI [1727] is surrounded by a well of water and nice flower's.

There are shop's and Cafe's, so somewhere to rest those weary leg's too!

HALF - TIMBERED HOUSES

by balhannah Updated Dec 17, 2011

Rector house 1581

BAD WINDSHEIM WOULD HAVE ABOUT THE BEST VARIETY OF HALF - TIMBERED HOUSE'S YOU COULD SEE.

I walked many of the streets, and really enjoyed what I saw. I didn't see all by far, as if you look at the listed website, there are many photo's of these "jewel's" in this Town.

Some I saw, that I haven't written about are.....

The RECTOR HOUSE, built in 1587, [photo1/2]

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 5 ~ GRABFELD HOME'S

Grabfeld area homes

In the village, all of the House's were open for you to go in and have a look around. I just walked inside, upstairs if I could, and generally had a good look around. Furniture was sparse, and what was there, was solid.
    Outside, I really liked what I saw. Some of the home's were huge, others small, most were half-timbered, but not all.
    They all had lovingly cared for Vegetable garden's of the period, nothing like growing your own Vegetable's for the best flavour. Back then, it was necessary to do this.
    These house's were from the Grabfeld area.

ST. MARIA AM SEE

by balhannah Updated Dec 16, 2011

St. Maria Am See

St.Maria Am See in Bad Windsheim was founded around 1400, and was dedicated to the Maritime
    Chapel in Bad Windsheim.
    What I liked about this Church, was the Spire that was a dark Green and patterned. I read that the roof is made out of brick's, so I guess this is correct?
    I then walked inside to see the interior's that only date back to 1725.
    It was fairly plain, but had a lovely wood carving worth seeing.

• Religious Travel

KORNMARKT

Kornmarkt

Located in the Kornmarkt, is the Opotheke [pharmacy], built in 1318, making it one of the oldest houses in Franconia. It is the oldest timber-framed house bathroom home.

There are some other nice half-timbered building's in the Kornmarkt, and a fountain with a sculpture of a couple dancing.

FREILANDMUSEUM ~ 7 ~ JURA VILLAGE

by balhannah Written Dec 15, 2011

Coming across the Jura Village, I noticed a distinct change in the style of building's.
    They were different in that stone, and what looked like mud, may have been used as building material's.
    Located here, was a lovely little Chapel, closed, but I could peer throught the window's!

On display in this Village were two Farm's, the Chapel, an Inn and a Herdsman's House.

GOTHIC REVIVAL STYLE HOUSE

by balhannah Updated Dec 16, 2011

House at Wood Markt

This interesting House, I found in what was the wood market in Bad Windsheim.

I think it reminded me a little of a small chapel! The Brick building is built in gothic revival style and has stepped gable's and turret's that make it rather attractive! Only built in 1894, it's not that old compared to lots of other building's in Bad Wersheim.
    Nearby, is the old man's yard that date's back to 1441.

Instant Answers: Bad Windsheim

Comments

Bad Windsheim Travel Guide

Bad Windsheim Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Bad Windsheim things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bad Windsheim sightseeing.

View all Bad Windsheim hotels