Bamberg Off The Beaten Path

  • Pictoral view of the palace complex
    Pictoral view of the palace complex
    by BruceDunning
  • Front of the main building
    Front of the main building
    by BruceDunning
  • Ornate sculptures on top of the roof
    Ornate sculptures on top of the roof
    by BruceDunning

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bamberg

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Veste Coburg Museums

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Inside is a very large armoury museum and an art gallery, as well as glass and china pieces. The armoury has 10,500 pieces; the largest collection in Germany. The Ducal Palace museum takes you through the 20 or so rooms of the royalty, which many have very elaborate wood paneling and sculpted ceilings. The art collection-Kunstsammunlugen includes 300,000 drawings and prints, 20,000 piece coin collection, and 3500 pieces of glasswear.
    All are very good collection and the total tour may last 3-4 hours to see it all. Open time are 9-5PM daily April-October and 1-4PM in winter months Entry fee is 7 Euro for all museums.
    Getting there is the challenge and not for the out of shape. It is a straight up 30-40 degree climb about 3/4 mile from the parking area designated.

    Rows of soldier gear and weapons Armor used during the knight Medieval ages. Deer antlers adorn the walls Room of souvenir weaponry CArved wood apnel ceiling
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Veste Coburg

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The castle portions date back to 1056 and was a key to the region in 1230 about the time the town was forming below. It was upgraded in the 17th and 19th centuries and blended in very good. The great hall made of decorated inlaid wood is from 1504. The latest added was the half board dwelling house used as apartments for the Duke Carl Eduard of Coburg in 1910 and after. There are many modern day conveniences due to the use until some recent years ago by the family owners.
    There are three very nice museums inside the apartments and other areas. The standout is the weapons and armour, but also there are historic living quarters and very ornate wood panels, glass and crafts, carriages, and more.
    It sits VERY high on a steep hill about 1 1/2 miles from the town. It is open 9-5PM April through October and 1-4 in other months. Parking is a wild ride to find a spot

    View from below in the town Viw of the fortress from CAllenberg castle Solid walls and many sheer feet up WAlls and tower overlooking the views Pictoral layout of the fortress
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Coburg-the town

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is an absolutely wonderful town that has about 42,000 people. Centered with a platz, it has good churches among other decorative and old buildings. A town was first learned about in 1056, and since then it has been under the Saxon or Thuringian rule, with the Dukes of Coburg ruling the area.
    it has the St Moritz church, Little Burglass castle, town hall, theater and much more to stroll and view.

    Overview of the town center Half board facades with color Decorative neogothic style Picture perfect covering on the building walls Elegant building and columns
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Coburg-CAllenberg Castle

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    A castle been on this site since 1123. In 1231, it changed ownership to Duke of Wurzburg and others. From 1586 through 1826, the Dukes of Coburg had control and from 1831 to 1945 the reconstruction was performed on the castle. Again in 1998 this was again renovated and this time brought back many pieces of art and furnishings.
    The Andreas family, Dukes of Coburg still live on the premises and an heir now is in New York as a photographer. He comes back every fall for a stay.
    Tours are available from 11-5PM daily, but closed on Mondays. Entry fee is 5 Euro and the tour lasts about 1 1/2 hours. It takes you up and down many stairwells into various rooms.

    Pictoral view of the castle Angle of caslte walls Weapons of old days Circa 1800's furniture Colorful rose garden an veranda
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Rosenau-Glass Museum

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The most unique glass works I have been in-and have been in quite a few. These pieces are contemporary and of some well know artists. They desire to display works here due to the fame of the museum of art.
    The collection has glass sculptures, containers, and various objects-some recognizable and some not so much. There is 10,000 square feet of exhibit space and it houses 1,000 pieces. A tour may take over one hour to see most of it and study some pieces. A group of films also can bee seen at your leisure.
    It is located in Rodenthal which is northeast of Coburg about 5 miles. The museum is open 10-5PM Tuesday through Sunday and entry fee is 3 Euro, or a combo ticket with Rosenau castle across the street for 7 Euro

    Glass stairwell and glass chandelier close up of the chandelier odd looking thorny glass Poodle patterned in glass pieces Design in green glass scratched out
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Rosenau Palace

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    It was a castle the later became a country house for a local duke. The first structure was built here in 1439, but the family Rosenau lost it in 1704 to Pernau, when they lost their fortune. It then was sold and later the Duke heirs of Coburg had control. They castle was renovated in 1808-1817. The ends of the structure have stratified stepped gables that are unique in style. '
    The inside does not have much in furnishings, but the rooms are stylish and painted different colors. Tours are every hour beginning at 10- and the last at 4PM from Tuesday-Sunday It is a 45 minute tour and the entry is 4,50 Euro, or combo ticket with the glass contemporary museum for 7 Euro.
    It is in Rodenthal, a town about 6 miles northwest of Coburg

    View of gable roof line and tower Inside of a room ceiling Wood designed inlaid celing Square design of ceiling Ornate ceiling adn chandelier
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Bad Staffelstein

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is a very beautiful spa town about 15 miles outside of BAmberg. It is located on A713 and about 6 miles north of Zapendorf, the exit off Strada 73. The whole town has the half board wood facades, and most still in very good condition. There is a spa at the edge of town on the west. The town hall has a clock piece and sculpted statues on top.
    Some tourists come here and stay to take in the spas, but maybe the architecture is also worth a visit.

    Orante wood facade decor on town hall wooden pattern of nice building Rough structural on this building-but holding Row od great looking bulidings on main street Alter of a church
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Coberg-Ehrenberg Inside

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The inside of the neo -Gothic style from around mid 1800's ordains the walls and ceilings. There is so much elaborate decor that it is hard take in all the beauty.
    The palace is open Tuesday-Sunday from 10-3PM and entry is 4 Euro

    Painted them on celing and candy border Wonderful Sculpted plater celings Rococo chapel ceiling
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Coburg-Ehrenberg Palace

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This was the Bishop's palace was built in 1543, but rebuilt in 1690, making it newer. It has a church and hall of Giants; a group of 28 Atlas statues. In the 19th century the palace was modernized again to include a neo-gothic look facade and more updated rooms inside. It remained as a palace residence for the Coburg rulers until 1918.
    There is tours inside that includes art galleries of Cranach works and Flemish artists. Also to see are the Giants Hall, Goblien room, REd reception room, and court church.
    It is open Tuesday-Sunday 10-3Pm and entry is 4 Euro

    Frontal view of palace and garden View of elegant bedroom palsterd decorative ceilings Giants Hall with Atlas statues Rococo looking doorway
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Church of Fourteen Keepers-Inside

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is the baroque style from the 1742 period when the newer church replaced the old one. Statues line the alter area and it is considered Germany's more ornate rococo basilicas.
    It is open daily 7-7PM in summers and 8-4Pm other months. Take in the beer garden and brewery in the rear area.

    Altere with statues Blurred view of alter pieces Decorative ceilings
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Church of Fourteen Holy Keepers

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The miracle myth is that a shepherd boy from a monastery saw a vision of a child who then disappeared. He was perplexed but then that vision child came back with thirteen holy children and the boy was told they want a place to rest, so they asked him to help build church. The rest is history because the church was built for them. It was built apparently by the children and local citizens. Later, another was built by BAlthasar Neumann and in 1742 when its construction commenced to have a larger church.
    Today it is s pilgrimmage for many people to be near the miracle.
    Is is located 16 miles north of Bamberg on B173-exit Lichtenfels South. It is 5 kilometers south of there.

    View of the church complex standing out in hills Close up view of the front facade View of two towers in front Sculpted statues and clock in the alcove
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Seehof Palace Inside-Mememelsdorf

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The inside tour is guided and well worth the visit. There are nine rooms to go through and the tour last about 3/4 hour. This was a hunting and fishing lodge for the ruler of Bamberg and the first was Prince Shenk von Stauffenberg who had this built in 1683. The baroque gardens were added within 30 years and has 400 sculptures on the grounds. The one side is the old orangery and horse stables.7
    Entry fee is 4 Euro and it is open 10-5PM from May through early October and closed the other months.

    White hall celing painting green bedcahmber wallpaper color in bedroom decorative bed chamber sculptures in the baroque garden
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Seehof Palace in Memmelsdorf

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Is was named see-hof for the one hundred acres of lakes on the property. It was a hunting and fishing lodge for Prince Bishop Shenk von Stauffenberg, and was built starting in 1683. He was ruler of Bamberg in 1683-93. It was built with four towers and four wings. Prince von Schonborn-who also own Weissenstein to he west in Pommersfelden, built the orangery and gardens in early 1700's. The palace was restored in 1995 to it original state that existed in late 1700's.
    It is located 4 miles northeast of Bamberg. Take exit A73 at Memmelsdorf and it is down the road one mile.

    Beautiful palace on a hill The onion domes stand out as a feature Sculpted statuary on the roof lines-horse stables Close up of the iconic coat of arms Inside courtyard view
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture
    • Photography

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Weissenstein in Pommersfelden

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is called a country house yet and still. The family that has owned it for 250 years and it was designed for Lothar Franz von Schonborn, the first to occupy.They still come here during the fall months and allow tours even though they are in residence. The one half is now a hotel with about 25 rooms in order to defray some of the large costs of maintaining such a facility-or even the heat bill. The castle was built between 1711-18. it was restored in 1977 and looks brand new. Especially significant is the sculptures all along the rooflines of the structures, and the theme they display.
    Inside is a collection of Baroque art paintings numbering 600, and is the largest private collection in Germany.
    It is open for guided tours daily 10-5 April-October and closed the other months. Entry is 6,50 Euro.
    Direction are take Hwy 505/3 to the southwest of Bamberg for 10 miles. It is 2 miles north off the highway and in Pommersfelden town

    Pictoral view of the palace complex Front of the main building Ornate sculptures on top of the roof Close up theme of Greek  style Wing of the building
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Weissenstein Inside

    by BruceDunning Updated Dec 18, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The castle/palace has been in the family of von Schonborn for 300 years, and they still frequent the place for some months of the year.
    This is the reason the take the tour. it is open for guided tours April-October from 10-5PM daily. The fee is 6,50 Euro. The tour takes about one hour, and is very good.
    It is in Pommersfelden about 9 miles southwest of Bamberg off highway 505/3 and 2 miles noth off the higway

    Decorative ceilings from 1700's Typical elegant room for the gentry Painted relief on the ceilings Columns by staircase on second level English staircase
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Bamberg

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

22 travelers online now

Comments

Bamberg Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bamberg off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bamberg sightseeing.

View all Bamberg hotels