Bamberg Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bamberg

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier: Smoked Beer - A great local Beer

by ophiro Written Mar 6, 2014

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is the local beer of Bamberg.
    It was excellent beer , reminded me a little bit a stout beer.
    Very tasty , very aromatic

I tasted it on Hofbrau restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier !!!

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Hofbräu: Nice place in the middle

by ophiro Written Mar 6, 2014

After driving so many hours to Bamberg and walking it started raining and i found this nice restaurant.
    I heard about the local beer so i had to taste it.
    Beside the beer of course i ordered a good soup.
    The smoked beer was very good and the onion soup was also great

Favorite Dish: I liked the beer very much !

• antistar's Profile Photo

Hofbrau: Pumpkin Pasta, Franconian Style

by antistar Updated Jun 6, 2013

Luciano (right) and Me, Hofbrau, Bamberg

This is a cosy bar restaurant right outside the Alte Rathaus, on the Cathedral side of town, with warm lighting and dark, half-timbered walls. When I entered I expected some kind of sausages and sauce kind of place, as it advertised itself as Franconian, but it actually took me a little by surprise. The first thing I noticed was that nearly every dish had Kurbis in, which is a German word I'd not seen before. I asked the waitress what it was, and she pointed to the oddly shaped green and yellow vegetables that were on every shelf: pumpkins. Strangely enough I'd never eaten pumpkin before in my life, but had dreamt about it the night before, because of a picture of my niece eating pumpkin soup from a carved out pumpkin bowl had set me thinking. Taking it as an omen I ordered the pumpkin ravioli, and was pleasantly surprised to discover how many different flavours they could pack into a dish that was mostly pasta and pumpkin. I think there were some pine nuts, garlic, basilica and strong parmesan cheese in there as well. Luciano had the rump steak, which he claimed was one of the leanest he had ever had.

Overall a very nice restaurant, with staff who smile and speak some English, and not all that expensive for the quality of the food.

Opening Times*

Sunday to Friday 10.00 - 01.00
    Samstag 10.00 - 02.00

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Fässla: Beer, Bamberg and a Dwarf?

by TomInGermany Written Jan 12, 2013

Their building

Bamberg is famous for its beers, especially its smoked beers. There are eight breweries within walking distance of each other and a ninth is you are into long walks. One of these breweries (and the first one we stopped at on our visit) is called Fässla which brews six different beers (no smoked beers) and serves good food.

We visited the brewery for lunch before we set out on our visit to the town and some –okay – most of the other breweries. Their menu was on a single sheet of paper but the two dishes we ordered were very tasty. My wife got a pork dish and I ordered some Bamberg sausages. Both dishes came with sauerkraut which was delicious. It was on the sweet side and the German couple sitting next to us said they add honey to it.

As for their beers, they only serve ½ liter servings so I limited myself to one beer – their Lagerbier. It was a dark yellow in color with an off-white head to it. The taste was a little malty but also had some bitterness to it. I’m not a big fan of the Lager beers and this one didn’t change my opinion. I should probably go back to sample their other beers but there are so many to try.

About the dwarf: As you can see in their logo, there is what appears to be a dwarf pushing a barrel.

Favorite Dish: Get a dish that includes sauerkraut. I'm not really into sauerkraut but this was very tasty. Maybe all German sauerkraut tastes like this. If so I need to order it more often.

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Greifenklau: Beer, Bamberg and a New Brew

by TomInGermany Written Jan 12, 2013

Greifenklau

One our first but definitely not our last trip to Bamberg we ended the day walking to the Greifenklau Brewery Restaurant located a little ways away from the center of town. After a walk up the hill and a 10-minute search for the place since we didn’t read the map correctly we ended up in a lovely little restaurant for a light dinner and a final Franconian beer (the reason for my visit to Bamberg). The restaurant was very nice, with an atmosphere that made you feel you were eating where the locals eat and not the tourists visiting the city. The server was pleasant, cute, and spoke fairly good English while the French fries we ordered really hit the spot and the wheat beer I down wasn’t great but it was drinkable.

The best part of the evening was my invitation to sample a new beer the brew misters were working on. As I ordered my beer the server told me if I wanted a couple of minutes the brew misters would be tapping a new beer they had just finished brewing. I couple of minutes later I saw two gentlemen – found out later that they were father and son – come out of the back room, walk over to the tap and pull a couple of small glasses of beer which they proceeded to sample. I then saw our server talk to the younger man who then came over to our table and asked if I would like to sample their new beer. He was the beer mister for the place having taken over the position from his father – the older man I saw. As I sampled the beer which had a strong pineapple aroma he explained to me in excellent English how he brewed this batch of beer. I think I need to go back to this place to try one of their main dishes and possibly a new Bamberg beer.

Remember you never know when you are going to get lucky, so get out there and visit new breweries, sample their beers, taste their food, and hope you are at the right spot and the right time to try a new beer fresh out of the tap and right from the brew mister’s hand.

Favorite Dish: All we had were fries so I guess I'll say the fries. :)

Fourteen Keepers-Brauerei Trunk: Holy Food with Brew

Seating inside

It all was good and worth the visit to sample local made food and local made beer. The church still makes the beer and brings it fresh into the restaurant in barrels to serve up. The beer was very cheap at around 2,10-3,50 Euro for 1/2 liter; so fill up. The food ranged from 3,10-5,50 Euro, with most being 4,50-5,00 Euro average

Favorite Dish: The wurst were good and came with kraut, and the Gottinger was excellent. They serve it hot and it comes right out of the kitchen next to seating area.

• Festivals

Crepe booth: Crepes in the Gruner marketplatz

Preparing the crepe

Crepes made from scratch at a booth are always a treat. The price of these ranged from 3-4,50 Euro, depending on how much extra you want on the crepe.

Favorite Dish: Since crepes are the specialty, I would choose them I had a vanilla flavored one, and Micky had a double chocolate and it was loaded with filling.

Cafe Restaurant Michaelsberg: Plate of German Food

One sausage and kraut

The food was mediocre and not that good overall. It is a tourist trap to draw to the rear of the monastery, since only two restaurants are located on the hill, and most people have taken a long walk to get here. Prices were on the high side, with a lunch averaging around 7-10 Euro, or more for a full plate, and beer 5,50 Euro

Favorite Dish: The bean soup was fairly tasty, but cold; like it sat a long time before we got it served to the table. The same was for the sausage & kraut.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Schlenkerla: Schlenkerla

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Probably the most famous of the breweries in Bamberg. Producers of Rauchbier or smoke beer. Someone said it tastes like Bavarian smoked cheese, and they are not far fom the truth. As ever I develpoed a liking for it and managed to spend the evening there but Mrs Bonio was not so keen, other non - smoky drinks are available. Tasty food on offer too. This one is very busy, try to pick a good time to visit.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Keesmann: Keesmann

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Honest I didn't drink all of them!

In the suburb Wunderburg, about ten minutes walk along the canal bank, or bus #5 I think. Another very traditional yet very friendly place. Food excellent as is the beer, Mrs Bonio's favourite in town!

• Brauerei Fässla: For a Typical Pub Experience

by estargrl88 Updated Nov 17, 2010

This brewery, around since 1649, has an old, cosy atmosphere with lots of wood. I only had a cup of tea here, but was brought here by a local who intimated that it was a pretty establishment locality. Therefore, I recommend it for a taste of a traditional Bamberg experience.

• Spezialkeller: Great View and Great Beer

by estargrl88 Written Nov 17, 2010

This beer garden is perched on a hill above Bamberg and has a great view of the town. Though I didn't try the food, the beer was good. Since I was brought here by locals, I suspect that the food must be good as well though.

• seoulgirl's Profile Photo

St. Georgen Brau: Keller Bier!!!!! Beer!!! ANd the food!!!

by seoulgirl Written Jan 24, 2010

The Keller Bier is one of the best beers in the world and you can only get it in this area of Germany. Ang the food at their brewery is also spectacular.

Favorite Dish: The best saurbraten I have ever had. And get the Keller Bier! Awarded the Gold medal 1995 World Championship Beer.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Graupner Konditorei and Cafe: Coffee and cake in elegant surroundings....

by Maryimelda Updated Dec 1, 2009

What a choice!

The cafe is divided into two sections. On one side there is the most wonderful display of cakes, I have seenin a long time and which can be bought to take away. On the other side is an extremely elegant dining area, complete with friendly and smiling waitstaff. There are also tables on the sidewalk if you like.

Favorite Dish: I was so boggled by the array of cakes that I wouldn't even try to recommend what was best. All I know is that the one I chose (a creamy, custard type of creation) was fabulous. Add a very nice coffee for a total bill of 4.30 euro and I was over the moon.

• leics's Profile Photo

Brauerei Spezial: Rauchbier, other beers.......and a nice place too!

by leics Written Jul 21, 2009

Brauerei Spezial

It was pure chance that I came across this little brewery............I was on my way back to the railway station by a rather circuitous route, and was desperate for a dirnk and something to eat.

It brews its own beer, of course....including Rauchbier (a smoke flavour, which I thought was lovely)........provides good local food at reasonable prices and has a few rooms to let (a good pat to stay, I suspect, especially for beer-lovers!).

It's been brewing for more than 450 years, apparently, and certainly knows how to create a very smooth drink.

There's a pleasant courtyard, with some areas covered/shaded from the weather and it seemed to be popular with locals (always a good sign). Service was courteous and pleasant.

I had Limburger cheese with 'Musik' and local bread. It was really excellent......but the 'Musik' did not work for me at all. :-))

A good, inexpensive place for a break.

• Singles

Instant Answers: Bamberg

Comments

Bamberg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bamberg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bamberg sightseeing.