Benediktbeuern Restaurants

The café is behind the wall
  • Benediktbeuern, Klosterwirt, outside seating
    Benediktbeuern, Klosterwirt, outside...
    by Trekki
  • Benediktbeuern, Klosterwirt, my Reiberdatischi :)
    Benediktbeuern, Klosterwirt, my...

Most Recent Restaurants in Benediktbeuern

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Kaffeepause im Garten: Charming cafe inside the monastery nursery

by Trekki Updated Aug 4, 2013

After my visit of church, chapel and cloister I was in desperate need of a coffee. On my way to Fraunhofer’s lab I passed the monastery’s nursery and much to my surprise and delight I saw this sign outside “ Kaffeepause im Garten” (coffee break in the garden). I peaked inside and what I saw was most charming! There is this huge nursery and in a corner are a covered seating area and a small desk with delicious cakes and a coffee machine. The seating area has different chairs and tables, each table was decorated with different flowers and it was a delight to sit here and have my long needed coffee and this delicious cake and look at the plants in the nursery boxes. I could have sat there for hours. Very peaceful.

The café is open daily from 10 a.m., Sundays and holidays from 1 p.m.; closed in rain and closed in winter (it opens in spring again).

I paid 2,70 Euro for my cappuccino and 2,50 Euro for the cake. And on the board outside they mention that the cake is from the café Zum Blauen Reiter in nearby Murnau.

Location of café in the monastery’s nursery on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., December 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

continue with next review

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Klosterwirt: Huge beer garden and good meals

by Trekki Updated Aug 4, 2013

Benediktbeuern, Klosterwirt, outside seating

Brewing beer has tradition in monasteries and Benediktbeuern was no exception. Although the last official beer was brewed here in 1925. But since Meierhof, the farmyard of the former monastery was no longer in use after the effects of secularisation, brewery Spaten-Franziskaner has decided to renovate part of it and install Klosterwirt, the beer garden and beer restaurant of today.

I was quite hungry despite cake and coffee I had earlier in the monastery’s nursery. So this beer garden was a welcome stop before I continued my journey to Oberambach. I knew that I would have dinner with my sister later in the evening so I wanted to eat something small. Our famous Reiberdatischi (Kartoffelpuffer, something like potato pancakes) were on the menu (5,10 Euro), together with Krautsalat and bacon. I was also delighted that they had Black Currant Schorle (spritzer) available, even more that it came as 0,5 l (3,20 Euro) and that I could have it with tap water (I hate sparkling water). It was warm so I could sit outside to have my meal. A delicious end to a marvellous visit.

Klosterwirt is open daily all year round, from 9:00 to midnight. The kitchen is open from 11:00 until 22:00. And in summer, until September, they are having a barbecue outside with the typical delicious Bavarian grill dishes.

Location of Klosterwirt on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

continue with next review

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Benediktbeuern

Comments

Benediktbeuern Restaurants

Trekki's Profile Photo

You won't starve in Benediktbeuern. There are plenty of restaurants, beer gardens and cafès in both, the town and the monastery ground.

Benediktbeuern's monastery also...