Berchtesgaden Tourist Traps

The views are simply amazing
    by ilyathemuromets

• ilyathemuromets's Profile Photo

David Harper Tour is overrated

by ilyathemuromets Written Oct 23, 2007

Reminder of the dark history

We took David harper tour and i have mixed feelings. The actual Berchtesgaden is memorable experience: firstly, the document library which is in front of the bunker system is not a monument to Nazi as I was afraid it might be but rather a reminder of how horrible it was. There are documents from various propaganda items, reminders of various horrendous events, and other historical facts that turn up your feelings. After that you can calm down a bit by the views from the top. As for the tour itself i think its a bit overrated - firstly it is possible to get to both the bunker system and the bird nest by yourself with out a tour(first drive to bunkers and then you have to get a shuttle bus to the top). There was not nearly enough time to take a look in the document library. Instead, our tour guide gave us tickets to the library so we can come back within a year for free. Like that going to happen. And even if I do come back the ticket is only 3 Euro's. Although you do get a small intro about the facilities and historical facts, I think it would be better off to do at your own pace to have enough time to read.

Fun Alternatives: You can drive to the document library, explore the bunker system, learn about history. And then pay to get to the very top to enjoy the unreal views from the top of the world. Shuttles go every 20 minutes or so.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Don't Take The Guided Tour!!

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 5, 2007

Too Crowded for decent Photos

Guided tours are on offer at the Eagle's Nest in English led by a British Guide they cost five euros per person. The first thing I didn't like was having to wear a coloured sticker to identify you as a paid up customer - I wanted to wear it stuck to my forehead I was so angry but my husband wouldn't let me. After hanging around waiting for the tour guide to arrive in the blistering sun he finally showed up ten minutes late. That folks takes ten minutes off your guided tour. I really wish I hadn't bothered - the guide was the most pompous - arrogant and ignorant
    ( in manner - not in knowledge) person I have ever had the misfortune to meet. The tour takes along too many people making it impossible to see anything properly and if you are not part of the guide's selected people and stop to listen he will tell you in no uncertain fashion to go away. He made me ashamed to be part of the tour and embarrassed to be British.

Unique Suggestions: Try to keep your temper under control and look for the nearest exit to slip away.

Fun Alternatives: For around the same price as the tour you can buy a guide book - much better for charting the history or just visit the restaurant rooms inside and have a look around when the tour departs

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Berchtesgaden

Comments

Berchtesgaden Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Berchtesgaden tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Berchtesgaden sightseeing.

View all Berchtesgaden hotels