Dachau Favorites

• shaytana22's Profile Photo

College Student

by shaytana22 Written Nov 9, 2007

Favorite thing: Hey Mark,

thanks for writing this about me lol, albeit not completely truthfully :) In my case I didnt need to learn English, nor was I a college student, nor did you hire me, I offered but I still had fun with you guys and all the times we got lost, your friend ending up in the youth hostel in dachau, sleeping in the kitchen, by climbing through an open window hahah.

Seeing Raf's family was great too.

I cant say I have a fav thing about Dachau, as I did not go inside, both times that I was there. I just cant do it.

Christine

Fondest memory: see above

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

1933: the Dachau KZ opens!

by Mikebond Updated Dec 31, 2005

opening of KZ in Dachau

Fondest memory: This article from a newspaper of Augsburg, exhibited in the museum, reminds us of the inauguration of the Dachau concentration camp on 31st March 1933, just two months after Hitler's ascent to Kanzler, ("Chancellor").
    The Dachau KZ was the first of a long series.

• Museum Visits

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Dachau nature

by Mikebond Updated Dec 28, 2005

the entrance boulevards

Favorite thing: Walking across the wide boulevards and stopping for a while in the wild nature of the concentration camp makes one feel strange. Actually, the trees provide a great sense of peace but, at the same time, one is aware that many people suffered to death in that same place. Unfortunately, it is difficult to perceive the peaceful atmosphere because of the many noisy students who do not care at all about the concentration camp. However, rest some seconds or minutes in these boulevards, especially in the one that connects the entrance with the area of the museum and the huts.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Hire a German College Student

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 26, 2005

Christine our Guide

Favorite thing: One of the most interesting parts of our whole trip was that we were able to hire a "free" translator... which really helped out on several occassions during the trip.

Since most Germans do not get the opportunity to see their own country, and choose to go elsewhere on vacations instead, you can normally find someone who is interested in touring with you, learning English from you, and will act as your translator when you head off the beaten path.

We all met Christine in Frankfurt, where she met us at the airport, took us to her house, and then went on a 12 day vacation with us around Europe... all she asked for in return was for us to pay for her portion of the hotels and meals! What a great deal!!!

• TinKan's Profile Photo

A Strong Message to all

by TinKan Updated May 3, 2004

Monument

Favorite thing: One of the things that you will get from a visit here is a very strong message about life and freedom.

This is a place that everyone should visit if they are visiting Europe. There are lessons to be learned here.

This is a part of history and it should be told.

• Museum Visits

• d_d's Profile Photo

The Dachau's camp history (2)

by d_d Written May 3, 2003

Never Again!

Favorite thing: The prisoners had to build a larger camp which was completed in 1938.

The camp office files show a total of more than 206000prisoners registered between 1933 and 1945.

In addition, however many prisoners were taken to Dachau without being registered.

• d_d's Profile Photo

The Dachau's camp history (1)

by d_d Written May 3, 2003

Blocks

Favorite thing: On March 22, 1933, the first German concentration camp was set up near Dachau on the grounds of a former ammunition factory by Heinrich Himmler.

Political opponents, Jews, clergymen and so called 'undesirable elements' were to be isolated here as enemies of the regime.

In 1937, the camp, originally planned for 5000 persons proved to be too small.

Instant Answers: Dachau

Comments

Dachau Favorites

Reviews and photos of Dachau favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dachau sightseeing.