Now a hostel for about 17 beds. Markanter FAchwarkbau back in 1508 built this as a corn storage building. It has been modified and reworked many times since, and no doubt modernized inside now for lights and toilet.
This was not open for viewing, and maybe has not been for quite some time based on the look of being desolate. The tower also called Schuldturm connects to Zwingerhaus. Behind the tower is the park garden area.
The tower gate was the main entry from the north in the older days and that was back in the 1400's when it was built in 1390. It is one entry for Imperial Cities to be merchants of trade and food goods. There was once an entry to get to the mid section of the tower, but now it is closed off. The treppen gables on either side of the tower are ornate.
Dating back to 1378, this church was a dedication to three kings and now is only used as a memorial of wars. It has Spitzbogigen Fenstern and Walmdach. There is no entry from what I noted, and looks usually closed. It sits on the acess of a split street leading to Segringertor and also up to the Kornhaus along the wall.
It is the gate on the west side of the town and dates back to about mid 1500's. It was damaged in Thirty Years War because the Swedes attacked this side most vigorously. They breached the wall here, and entered the town. The moat on the outside only held them back for some days. The tower was damaged but later rebuilt in 1655,
This museum features holographs, 3D perspectives, illusions of things and distortions, and light and laser shows. The tour is not much to see here. It is open 10-6 daily and only until 4PM on off months and then Saturday and Sunday only. Entry is free.
This street is mostly made up of residences of the locals living within the walls and some businesses for normal daily needs such as plumbing, electrical and some food stores. At the end of this three block long street is Nordlinger Tor
This is the main street for the shopping and branches off with the Winemarket buildings. The end of the street leads to Rothenburger Tor, and is only a couple of blocks long. The Gastof Gold Hirsch is in the middle between some other retail shops and stores for locals to buy merchandise
This red decorated facade was built in 1773 and used since 1855 as the current town hall after the Geschichtehaus was used for other purposes that was owned by von Krieg und Frieden. The town hall is active today and going inside is administrative offices mostly.
This museum is very nice, and not publicized as much as it should be. Inside the Haus Geschichte which also is the town hall and the tourist information office is the museum taking up 1/2 of the large building. The museum itself shows a lot of history of the town from the 8th century and the Thirty Years War impact. They also have displays of weapons and period costumes of the time in the 16th century. The tour may last about 3/4 hour and times are 10-5PM daily The fee is 4 Euro and they give you an audio guide in language preferred.
This is located in the Altrathausplatz near the Wornitz Tor gate. It is used for tourist information, local events, and has the town history museum which is worth a visit. The tourist office times are 9-6Pm daily Monday-Friday and 10-5Pm on weekends, but have some lesser hours in November-April. The house was erected in 1188, and became the Reichstadt-town hall in 1274. It was the house of von Krieg und Frieden
Five practical but ornate buildings of Giebelhauser from 1600 was used for merchants to not only process wine, but also have usual merchandising of goods and storage for commerce. The Alderman's Inn was the central corner location for congregating, and the other decorated buildings for weight station and storing agricultural foods. With this being an Imperial City, and a cross roads for trade, the merchants got rather wealthy and built these wonderful structures. The Patriezerhaus with the Treppengable is foremost, but also are the today's GAsthaus, was Zur Glock, and the Deutschaus with figures on the facade.
It is located in the midst of the street buildings on Nordlingerstrasse and Marktplatz. This Evangelical St. Paulskirche was built between 1840-43. The kloster connection dates back to the sect located in Wurzburg from friars spreading out to preach religion. The Protestants bought the facility in 1809, but now it is a music teaching college-Bezirks Mittelfranken
The interior is one of the most highly decorated in the region. It brought pilgrims to here to celebrate the splendor of the church beauty. Besides the large main altar and lovely nave, there are seven other altars on the sides and eleven huge columns holding up the Gothic ceiling that is over 70 feet high.
The architectural masterpiece of the 15th century was designed by famed Nikolaus Eseler. It took from 1448-1499 to complete the structure, that features a large vaulted roof with a criss cross pattern and eleven huge columns holding it all up. There are side altars besides to decorated main altar in the nave. The tower was originally intended to be a separate site, but due to lack of funds, the church was expanded to connect the tower to it.