Füssen Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Füssen

Alpsee

by iandsmith Updated Apr 15, 2008
    Odd shapes in the snow

Different times of the year will yield different results for your walk. It was fairly slushy at times during our stroll and the spring vegetation hadn't yet sprung forth.
    As with most walks of this type, the scenery is constantly changing.
    The varying angle will make what you saw a minute ago seem completely different and offer different photo opportunites.
    These are samples of my snow shots.

Power to the people

by iandsmith Written Mar 25, 2008

I had wondered the previous year what this building was all about but really had so much else on my mind that I forgot about it. This time I pursued the matter further. What was this white structure over the river?
    It turns out that it is a hydro-electric power station and it only started working in 2007, so I had seen it just before it actually opened.
    It's situated just below the Lechfall (where the river Lech cascades down some man made cataracts) but you have to walk a few hundred metres to actually get a good view of it due to the small gorge below the falls.

Der Alpsee I see

by iandsmith Written Mar 24, 2008

Lovely reflection

In a way it's not really an "Off the beaten path" activity as there is a well trod path around this small lake at the base of the alps. It's just that compared to Neuschwanstein and Hohenswhangau, the number of tourists is a trickle.
    I had wanted to walk around it on my previous trip but ran out of time and was uncertain just how long it would take. Had I simply noticed the sign my question would have been answered! It happens to be about 90 minutes around this body of water and, on the northern side there's a lovely aspect looking directly at the first of the alps.
    On a clear day you might get a wonderful reflection shot but I had to make do with a reasonable one as my pictures indicate. They also reflect that it was wintry conditions although it was Easter, albeit at the earliest of its dates in March. It had snowed lightly for the previous two days and was about to dump even more that day and night and that made for a nice colour variation on the peaks. It's a fairly flat walk except for a minor hill near Hohenswhangau but it's definitely not suited to wheelchairs and can get a bit wet after snow, as it was for us.

Seeing der Alpsee

by iandsmith Written Mar 24, 2008

The path along the River Lech

Fuessen - The path along the River Lech

The path along the banks of the River Lech runs upstream to the district of Bad Faulenbach and downstream to Lake Forggensee.

During a walk you repeatedly catch sight of fine views of the river, which up into the XIXth century was an important traffic and trading route navigated by rafts.

Baumgarten

Fuessen - Landscape park

There is a fine landscape park near to the Castle. A pass to the Castle is cut through a rock. A walk around of the Castle and picturesque park has given us huge pleasure. Pity that we hadn't enough time to stroll over the whole park.

An amasing fountain

Fuessen - An amasing fountain

I have seen such a fountain for the first time in Fuessen and it has very much surprised me with its design.

On several granite columns in height about five meters under action of jets of water granite stones were shaking, everyone in weight not less than 100 kg! In each column the deepening has been made due the stone has not slid off downwards. The jet of water pushed out a stone from this deepening and it rose above a column on some millimeters, being shaken here and there.

An amasing fountain!

Franciscan monastery

Fuessen - Lech and Franciscan monastery

There is the bridge across the Lech River in the city centre. Very fine views open on Schlossberg, Kurfuerstliches Schloss and Benedictine monastery of St. Mang from the bridge.

The Franciscan monastery and baroque church of Sacred Stephen is appreciable in the distance. The venerable monastery buildings with the baroque St Stephan’s Church are situated on a small hill above the River Lech from where there is a magnificent view of the medieval town centre. Next to them is the old St Sebastian Cemetery.

Unfortunately we did not manage to get there. Probably, we badly searched for an entrance, may be there is no free entrance. I don't know yet. Next time we'll try to find it out.

Alte Stadtapotheke

Fuesen - Alte Stadtapotheke

The building of the old drugstore (Alte Stadtapotheke) has one of the most beautiful facades of the city. I've already wrote, that there are many very beautiful old houses in Fuessen. But Alte Stadtapotheke is allocated among them.

I am glad, that my opinion coincides with opinion of Michael which can be found out on his magnificent page Fuessen by Michael.

• Architecture

• asianbelle's Profile Photo

A walk in the woods

by asianbelle Updated Jul 13, 2004

We took the regular tourist path going up to Schloss Neuschwanstein. The hike took us around 45 minutes (it really varies depending on one's strides and frequency of stops to rest).

After visiting the castle, we passed by Mariahilbrucke or the hanging bridge (made of steel to withstand the weight of the tourists trying to get a good shot of the castle). And what a shot! from there, you can really have a very good and clear view of the castle, mountains and fields.

From the bridge, going back to the lowland, we took a detour and followed the path less traveled - through the woods. Just follow the graveled foot path and you won't be lost. It is a longer route, but you have the trees, birds and very few people as companions. The path ends near the edge of the lake.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Hike above Neuschwanstein!!

by herzog63 Written Feb 25, 2003

Bavarian Plains

I went on an Awesome hike above the Neuschwanstein Castle! It started out as a small walk to get above the castle to get some better pictures. But It turned into a really beautiful hike! After I had been walking for a half hour or so it started snowing. Then the snow gradually became a real blizzard!! I couldn't even see the trail and my foot prints in the snow were being covered almost immediately! I figured as long as I stayed on the main part of the trail I'd be ok. And I would be able to find my way back. You get beautiful views of the Bavarian Plains on this hike except when it is snowing so hard that you can't see 20 feet in front of you. I saw alot of Antelope or Deer too. This was one of my fond memories of my Europe Trip.

• truus_s's Profile Photo

WIESKIRCHE

by truus_s Written Jan 4, 2003

WIES CHURCH

You will find a church in every German village. One of the loveliest churches in Europe is the "Wies Church". When standing in front of the church the visitor will find it hard to anticipate the splendour of the interior of the nave executed in the exuberant rococo style. The Wies Church was one of the first monuments to have been adopted by Unesco as an object of cultural and natural heritage worthy of being protected and preserved.
    There are very few churches in Germany with comparable ceilings to those in the Wies Church which show such artistic paintings.

• ardnas67's Profile Photo

walk the longer way back from Neuschwanstein!

by ardnas67 Written Jul 25, 2007

the longer route back from the castle goes through the woods along the river, is very nice and not so busy as the faster way back.

• Castles and Palaces

• bicycle_girl's Profile Photo

Go hiking

by bicycle_girl Written Jul 27, 2006
    Around Neuchwanstein Castle

There is a fair amount of walking available from Fussen to the castle, and you can even go up the mountain and get tremendous views over the valley.

• Mountain Climbing

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Beautiful view!

by herzog63 Updated Jul 8, 2003

Bavarian Alps

This is a picture of the Bavarian Alps that I took on my hike. A few moments after this all I could see was snow!! The blizzard was upon me!

Instant Answers: Füssen

Comments

Füssen Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Füssen off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Füssen sightseeing.