Garmisch-Partenkirchen Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Cafe Konditorei Thron: Opened for Breakfast

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 29, 2014

We did not want to walk all over town to find a place to have breakfast. So, walking from the place we stayed over night, this is the first place we found open. My boyfriend had a slice of cake and a cup of coffee. I ordered a breakfast sandwich and a cappuccino. It was all okay but not great. My mistake was having my egg cooked over easy instead of sunny side up. The egg was completely cooked instead of slightly runny is how I like to have it. Other than that, it was pretty good. My boyfriend would have preferred having a pastry or two instead. And, as we walked around town, there were some places that had pastries. Prices were not bad.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Zum Wildschütz: Great Food & Ambience!

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 29, 2014

We did not plan to stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen but it was the ideal location after having visited the Neuschwanstein Castle. We found a place to stay over night and immediately set out to have our evening dinner. Checked Google Maps for restaurants and found this one had great ratings. I must say, it did not disappoint! My boyfriend and I ordered some white wine and shared a mixed salad to start. I ordered a venison dish cooked in red wine sauce served with chanterelle mushrooms in a cream sauce and schupfnudeln (which is like a fried, potato dumpling or gnocchi). It was really, really good! My boyfriend ordered a roast beef dish in a sauerbraten sauce and kartoffelknödel (raw potato dumplings). This was also delicious!

We were lucky they could fit us in. The place was packed. I suggest you make reservations if possible.

I did not find an official website but below is a Yelp site that tends to have basic information and honest reviews.

• Wine Tasting

Wankhaus: cool, but warm

by iaint Updated Jun 9, 2014

You have 2 choices at the top of the mountain. The Sonnenhaus in the building where the Wankbahn ends (on the left in the photo), or the Wankhaus right on the summit. We had lunch in the Biergarten part of the latter.

Mine was delicious. A lentil soup with a chopped up Wien sausage in it, plus a Brezl. Great soul food. All washed down with a half litre of helles (light beer, as opposed to white beer, dark beer or pils). I don't usually have beer that early (it was just 12 noon) but what the hell (excuse the pun) - I was on holiday!

It’s fun to eat outside in the sun at close to 6,000 ft wearing a shirt, shorts and sandals.

UPDATE

Re-visited in June 14. Excellent again.

Favorite Dish: The soup.

It's the one on top entrance terrace table view

Eibsee Pavilion: spectacular

by iaint Written Sep 3, 2012

Try having lunch at the lakeside Pavilion. It has a restaurant and Biergarten section (both outdoors) so you can chooses to suit your budget.

We chose the restaurant (first). Tremendous views out over the lake, to the forests and mountains beyond. Lovely food too, and excellent service.

D paid, so as usual I can’t help with prices.

We did have a drink in the Biergarten after our hike around the lake.

Favorite Dish: Tbc

stunning view popular place aaah!

Schachenhaus: something very special

by iaint Written Sep 12, 2011

Wow! Lunch at 1,800m. Or 6,000 ft (plus a bit) for us Brits. Maybe this should be under “off the beaten track” as it’s a 3.5 hour walk from Elmau, and Elmau is a bit south of town. Anyway, here it is.

I had the lamb stew with a potato dumpling - the lamb supplied from the owner’s brother’s local farm. Really delicious. A 0.5l of Mittenwald helles along with it really helped me recover from the climb. My better half had the Swiss wurtsalat - one of her favourites - and she loved hers too.

After lunch we visited the “palace” and then came back for a coffee and cake. Both also delicious.

Service was quick - except for the coffees which involved queuing. I’m not sure about prices as I didn’t pay, but from what I remember from the menu they seemed reasonable.

It was busy on a sunny Sunday afternoon in September, but people seemed to move on as soon as they’d finished eating - heading down, heading up, or to take the palace tour. We had no problems getting a table either time.

Whilst the food is good, it’s the views which make it truly magnificent.

Favorite Dish: My lamb stew.

the place at ground level seen from above from one side your view over lunch

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Isis Goldene Engel: Isis Goldene Engel

by mvtouring Written Oct 27, 2010

We arrived in Garmisch on a Sunday, so everything was closed and we had no food to feed ourselves, so we decided to go and enjoy some local cuisine. We found the Goldene Engel just around the corner from where we stayed and I just loved the place from the moment I set eyes on it.
    Prices for what we enjoyed:
    Small beer Euro 2.00
    Orangejuice Euro 2.50
    Schweinehaxe Euro 12.80
    Duck with red cabbage 12.80
    Salad plate Euro 4.50

Favorite Dish: Schweine haxe with sauerkraut. Nowhere else in the world do they do the schweinehaxe like they do it in Bavaria!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Munchner Haus: Munchner Haus

by mvtouring Written Oct 27, 2010

Situated on the Zugspitze, I loved eating at this place. Very rusty, but the food is of good quality and very tasty. I had the leberknodel suppe and my friend had a meatball with boiled potatoes. It was rather cold up on the mountain (lol it is the Alps!) but after lunch I was ready to explore the mountain further.

• Restaurant Husar: This is it! The hussars would be still amazed!

by der_caravaner Updated Nov 25, 2009

I found this place more or less accidentally but since then, I go there again and again. As you walk to that restaurant you will see a nice house which is probably a couple of hundreds of years old. As you enter the restaurant, you will find a very nice styled, classical, high class restaurant. The fine difference is that you really feel sort of a family atmosphere which is no surprise because, to my knowledge, this is a real family business for decades. Attention is paid to perfect service and really, really good food - just awesome. The nice thing is, that the menu keeps changing so there is always a new surprise waiting. Be careful, because if you stay to long, you feel so much home that you don't want to leave anymore :-). The nice ambiance matches the design and the food also ... yummy, yummy.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the "Husar Teller" ... a nice combination of different kinds of meet with vegetables and potatoes. It sounds easy and standard but it just tastes better than anywhere else ... very enjoyable. My wife tends to eat the mussels. I really recommend the three-soup starter ... a very delicious combination of three different kinds of soup (Süppchen-Trio). One time, I did eat the "Bunter Fischteller" (colorful fish plate) which is now a big competition to the Husaren-Teller.

the Husar house (from their web-page) in the restaurant
    • Castles and Palaces

• Jamison's Pub (a.k.a. La Baita): Great Italian food, excellent experience

by 1stWaver Written Dec 29, 2008

Many restaurants were closed on Monday evening, so after walking about 20 minutes in the cold, we reluctantly went into what looked like a neighborhood bar. The combination of aromas and the staff's greeting told us that we were in for something good. We were NOT disappointed! The waiter was very friendly and made sure that we were not wanting for anything. We couldn't find anybody who ate there so that we could compare notes. I'm not sure why, but based on our evening, I would highly recommend it, especially if you're in need of a diversion from the sausage and potato and kraut dinners. Only sorry that our schedule did not allow for a return visit.

Favorite Dish: I had the frutte de marre (seafood and pasta), my wife had a caprese-pasta dish, my sis-in-law had basic spaghetti & meatballs. We all sampled each other's. All were great. A couple of points to note: prices are a la carte so the salad, which was very simple but very crisp, cold and fresh, was extra. In most restaurants, asking for water will get you a bottle (gass or no gass) that is usually more expensive than the wine. As to the wine, I prefer a glass of hearty working-class chianti with pasta, and that is what I got. My taste is simple and unsophisticated so I was quite satisfied with a generous 2 euro glass. A true conniseur might be disappointed although they probably had more top-shelf choices by the bottle. Dessert? are you kidding?!?!? I wish that I'd worn my "buffet pants" with the stretch waistband. My only redemption was the 20 minute walk back to the lodge. aah....

• Business Travel

• kls67's Profile Photo

No "doggy bags" in Germany

by kls67 Updated May 19, 2008

Of course, I wanted nothing but typical Bavarian faire on our first night but it was rather late when we got back from driving around so we settled on the hotels "Heurigen Restaurant". Decorated just like you would imagine a characteristic Bavarian lodge to be, it takes you in and makes you feel warm and comfortable – as if you were Heidi. We ordered a special appetizer and were amazed when it arrived on a wooden chopping block loaded with vegetables, regional cheeses and breads. That should have been enough - however I still a hankering for spätzle and schnitzel. And when they brought that out - I honestly thought I was going to explode. Again with the HUGE portions.....not that there's anything wrong with that except.....when you can't finish it and you want to take it back to your room and savor the flavors the next day for lunch (yes, they had refrigerators in the rooms)....and the staff have no idea what "doggie bags" are. I talked to my brother-in-law about this phenom and apparently there really isn’t a German translation – so good luck and try not to waste too much food.

• La Mamma: Not great service but amazing food

by PSYCHOPIXIE5 Written Feb 24, 2008

La Mamma is what used to be La Lapanto, which is described on this site as well. I think they changed owners or names, since it is at the same address. The restaurant is situated on the bottom floor of a local hotel and has a nice interior with tablecloths and dark wood panelling. The location is very convenient for picking up a pizza to go after skiing or a day sightseeing as it is right on the main drag.

The food was wonderful; my guest and I ordered tortellini soup and and a calzone and spaghetti carbonara. The pizzas are great, thin crusts and large enough to fill up anyone. The service leaves something to be desired, it took almost 10 minutes just to get a drink order put in, and other patrons that arrived after us got their food even before our order was taken. I'm not sure if they are not American friendly or just overlooked us, but to have someone else get their food before we order and leave by the time we got our food was irk-some to say the least.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Calzone- It had a thin crispy crust with cheese baked on top, with mozzerella, artichokes, mushrooms and ham inside. It was quite large, and with soup or salad, could have served two. My guest had Spaghetti Carbonara which was also excellent, with an egg cream sauce and ham, with pasta that was done to perfection.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Adventure Travel

• geigen's Profile Photo

I really don't know its name!: The place with the big dogs

by geigen Written Dec 10, 2006

When ate here all the time when I was a kid. I truly don't know the name of this restaurant but it is near St. Martins church and has a heavy dose of 'luftmaleri' on the outside. The owners used to keep Newfoundland dogs. Once, when I was about 5, I left the table to go to the bathroom. When I didn't return, my parents went looking for me and found me cornered by a gigantic and gentle dog who was chewing on my hood ties.

But the food is good here too and the inside is pretty!

The restaurant is in the middle.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Restaurant "Munchner Haus": Have a dinner at the top!

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Aug 8, 2006

Restaurant "Munchner Haus" settles down almost at the top of the mountain.
    I can say nothing about it because it was closed at 17.00.
    I'm sure you will have a beautiful lunch or dinner if you manage to get there a little bit earlier.

Zugspitze-Restaurant

• PaulKirk's Profile Photo

Various: Afternoon meals

by PaulKirk Written May 13, 2006

Most resturants will seve food at lunchtime until 1430 or sometimes 1500 and then offer a smaller snack menu until early evening. The same applies to the bars in the hills. Don't worry! You won't go hungry. The afternoon menus centre on cold plates wirh cheese, ham and pork with some local bread usually available. A mixed plate of meat & cheese should also be on offer.Hot dishes tend to be limited to Goulaschsuppe or an Eintopf (Potato & Vegetable soup with frankfurter type sausage) or Strammer Max which is the local name for Ham & fried eggs on a piece of bread. Some places will seve Bratwurst and fried potatoes or potato salad. The cold plates usually comprise of a plate covered in meat or cheese with 2 or 3 slices of the local brown bread and go down well with a few beers. Most places will sell Apfel Kuchen but it's better with coffee than beer so I stick to the savoury stuff.

Favorite Dish: Schweinbraten and horseradish. The horseradish is hot and strong.

Feeding Time!

• PaulKirk's Profile Photo

Braustubl: Eating Out 3

by PaulKirk Written May 13, 2006

Well worth a visit for the vaulted bar and wall paintings. Pine benches and tables are crammed in and it's basic but homely. It can get busy so booking some places is reccomended in the evening. There is a proper restaurant with tableclothes but it lacks the atmosphere of the bar. There's also a terrace outside but it doesn't get the sun after early afternoon. The menu is basic and the specilities are Scwheinenhaxe (pork knuckles) which I think are the best in town whilst at weekends they sell some excellent Bauernente (roast duck). They do a good plate of venison in thick gravy/sauce with noodles or dumplings. Good helpings and service. There's no regular music but sometimes the local theatre musicians come in after meeting upstairs and will play. In the Fasching season in Jan-Feb it's always got these entertainers in on a Sunday night.
    Food is served at lunchtime until 1430 and in the evenings from 1800 to 2100. In the afternoon they will sell smaller dishes like cold plates and the pork plate with horseradish is excellent. If you're there on a summer afternoon it's a great place to watch the local cows make their own way back to the several farms that are near the Braustubl.

Favorite Dish: Bauenente with bread dumpling or Scweinhaxe.

Duck's off! Braustubl

Instant Answers: Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Comments

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Garmisch-Partenkirchen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Garmisch-Partenkirchen sightseeing.

View all Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels