Garmisch-Partenkirchen Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

• lareina's Profile Photo

Gasthof Fraundorfer: Guten apetit!

by lareina Written Dec 23, 2003

Slap-Happy!

The Fraundorfer has a cozy, rustic atmosphere and excellent food. It is a hot spot for locals and tourists. Come here hungry because you will be stuffed with the generous, hearty portions. The walls are covered in photographs, hunting trophies, and all sorts of Bavarian items. Usually there is an accordion player who sings, plays, and yodels during your meal and every half an hour, or so, the Bavarian slap-dancers come out and do a performance. Reservations are recommended.

Favorite Dish: Jagerschnitzel--The sauce is rich and wonderful.

garmischer brauhaus: local fare with local flare - 3 -

hands off my beer

As I said, the true test of a locale is the locals that frequent it. There is nothing worse than being in a local beer stuebe, and being surrounded by tourists.

However, here is some German you may need to know.

Kann ich ein bier haben, bitte? Kann ich zwei bier haben, bitte? Kann ich drei bier haben, bitte?
    Can I have a beer please?

Ich hatte gerne ein Jaeggerschnitzel und ein bier, bitte.
    I would like a Jaggerschitzel and a beer please.

Durfen wir bezahlen bitte?
    May we pay please?

When they say,
    Hat es gut geschmekt?
    You may answer, Ja, es hat gut geschmekt, danke.
    Yes, it tasted good, thank you.

That along with Gruess Gott (greetings from God) and Aufwiedersehen (good bye) should get you through your first visits, and will impress your hosts with your willingness to try the language. Never underestimate this politeness.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Isis Goldene Engel: Isis Goldene Engel

by mvtouring Written Oct 27, 2010

We arrived in Garmisch on a Sunday, so everything was closed and we had no food to feed ourselves, so we decided to go and enjoy some local cuisine. We found the Goldene Engel just around the corner from where we stayed and I just loved the place from the moment I set eyes on it.
    Prices for what we enjoyed:
    Small beer Euro 2.00
    Orangejuice Euro 2.50
    Schweinehaxe Euro 12.80
    Duck with red cabbage 12.80
    Salad plate Euro 4.50

Favorite Dish: Schweine haxe with sauerkraut. Nowhere else in the world do they do the schweinehaxe like they do it in Bavaria!

• MoreBarTime11's Profile Photo

Gasthof Fraundorfer: Great entertainment

by MoreBarTime11 Written Aug 15, 2005

Make reservations any night of the week for this place! There is a reason it is a packed house! Wonderful food and great entertainment!

Wish we would have stayed in their Guesthouse upstairs!

The Acordian music, singing, yodels, were wonderful! The slap dancers were just neat!

Don't be alarmed if you are seated with others---a chance to meet new people and enjoy great food!

Favorite Dish: Literally EVERYTHING we saw the staff bring out looked very good!

• MrBill's Profile Photo

La Lapanto: best pizza in town

by MrBill Written Jan 18, 2005

friends

So, normally you might associate Garmisch-Partenkirchen with Bavarian food, but GAP has always attracted many foreigners, and some stay and open up local restaurants with other cuisines. In our case, we really like La Lapantos authentic southern-Italian style pizzas. They have very thin crusts and are big enough to satisfy the biggest appetite after skiing. The prices are very reasonable and we like the family atmosphere. There are other Italian restaurants in GAP, but we like this one the best.

• Adventure Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• MrBill's Profile Photo

garmischer brauhaus: local fare with local flare

by MrBill Written Sep 15, 2004

ceramic oven for chilly days

There are many bierstuebe's and local Bavarian restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen where you can get a half-liter of beer and something good to eat. The prices are about average, but the portions generous. Stay away from the tourist areas and look for the locales where the Bavarians themselves eat and drink. Usually there will be lot's of smoke from pipes, a dialect of German you're not likely to recognize, and plenty of locals dressed in their lederhoesen and checked shirts and wool vests with bone buttons. Most likely local farmers who have made their millions through selling farmland for development. However, you wouldn't know it by looking at them.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Munchner Haus: Munchner Haus

by mvtouring Written Oct 27, 2010

Situated on the Zugspitze, I loved eating at this place. Very rusty, but the food is of good quality and very tasty. I had the leberknodel suppe and my friend had a meatball with boiled potatoes. It was rather cold up on the mountain (lol it is the Alps!) but after lunch I was ready to explore the mountain further.

• Jamison's Pub (a.k.a. La Baita): Great Italian food, excellent experience

by 1stWaver Written Dec 29, 2008

Many restaurants were closed on Monday evening, so after walking about 20 minutes in the cold, we reluctantly went into what looked like a neighborhood bar. The combination of aromas and the staff's greeting told us that we were in for something good. We were NOT disappointed! The waiter was very friendly and made sure that we were not wanting for anything. We couldn't find anybody who ate there so that we could compare notes. I'm not sure why, but based on our evening, I would highly recommend it, especially if you're in need of a diversion from the sausage and potato and kraut dinners. Only sorry that our schedule did not allow for a return visit.

Favorite Dish: I had the frutte de marre (seafood and pasta), my wife had a caprese-pasta dish, my sis-in-law had basic spaghetti & meatballs. We all sampled each other's. All were great. A couple of points to note: prices are a la carte so the salad, which was very simple but very crisp, cold and fresh, was extra. In most restaurants, asking for water will get you a bottle (gass or no gass) that is usually more expensive than the wine. As to the wine, I prefer a glass of hearty working-class chianti with pasta, and that is what I got. My taste is simple and unsophisticated so I was quite satisfied with a generous 2 euro glass. A true conniseur might be disappointed although they probably had more top-shelf choices by the bottle. Dessert? are you kidding?!?!? I wish that I'd worn my "buffet pants" with the stretch waistband. My only redemption was the 20 minute walk back to the lodge. aah....

• Business Travel

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Restaurant "Munchner Haus": Have a dinner at the top!

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Aug 8, 2006

Zugspitze-Restaurant

Restaurant "Munchner Haus" settles down almost at the top of the mountain.
    I can say nothing about it because it was closed at 17.00.
    I'm sure you will have a beautiful lunch or dinner if you manage to get there a little bit earlier.

• Mountain Climbing

Braustubl: Eating Out 3

Duck's off!

Well worth a visit for the vaulted bar and wall paintings. Pine benches and tables are crammed in and it's basic but homely. It can get busy so booking some places is reccomended in the evening. There is a proper restaurant with tableclothes but it lacks the atmosphere of the bar. There's also a terrace outside but it doesn't get the sun after early afternoon. The menu is basic and the specilities are Scwheinenhaxe (pork knuckles) which I think are the best in town whilst at weekends they sell some excellent Bauernente (roast duck). They do a good plate of venison in thick gravy/sauce with noodles or dumplings. Good helpings and service. There's no regular music but sometimes the local theatre musicians come in after meeting upstairs and will play. In the Fasching season in Jan-Feb it's always got these entertainers in on a Sunday night.
    Food is served at lunchtime until 1430 and in the evenings from 1800 to 2100. In the afternoon they will sell smaller dishes like cold plates and the pork plate with horseradish is excellent. If you're there on a summer afternoon it's a great place to watch the local cows make their own way back to the several farms that are near the Braustubl.

Favorite Dish: Bauenente with bread dumpling or Scweinhaxe.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Kurpark Pavillion: Kurpark Pavillion

by antistar Written Jun 1, 2005

After three hours of non-stop walking in 30+ degrees of burning afternoon sunshine the Pavillion, perched on the edge of the fountain square in Garmisch and shaded by trees, appeared as if an cool oasis in a sea of shimmering heat. The food was excellent, the service acceptable, and the choice of food wide. For those with limited German the menu had English translations and the staff spoke excellent English too. There was even a good selection of vegetarian options, which is unusual for a restaurant serving mostly German food.

• La Mamma: Not great service but amazing food

by PSYCHOPIXIE5 Written Feb 24, 2008

La Mamma is what used to be La Lapanto, which is described on this site as well. I think they changed owners or names, since it is at the same address. The restaurant is situated on the bottom floor of a local hotel and has a nice interior with tablecloths and dark wood panelling. The location is very convenient for picking up a pizza to go after skiing or a day sightseeing as it is right on the main drag.

The food was wonderful; my guest and I ordered tortellini soup and and a calzone and spaghetti carbonara. The pizzas are great, thin crusts and large enough to fill up anyone. The service leaves something to be desired, it took almost 10 minutes just to get a drink order put in, and other patrons that arrived after us got their food even before our order was taken. I'm not sure if they are not American friendly or just overlooked us, but to have someone else get their food before we order and leave by the time we got our food was irk-some to say the least.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Calzone- It had a thin crispy crust with cheese baked on top, with mozzerella, artichokes, mushrooms and ham inside. It was quite large, and with soup or salad, could have served two. My guest had Spaghetti Carbonara which was also excellent, with an egg cream sauce and ham, with pasta that was done to perfection.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Adventure Travel

Werdenfelser Alm: Eating Out 2

What fitness?

Not as touristy as the Frauendorfer but still decorated in local style if not quite so ostentatious. Plenty of room and a good place to head for if you want steak in an area where pork is the most popular dish. The beer is Augustiner which isn't a favourite of mine but I do like their steaks. Entertainment is provided by an organist who occasionally sings. The music tends to be cheesy American rather than Bavarian. There's a small dance floor by his stage so dance music is played too. Sometimes the thigh slappers will come in too. I like plain steak and that's why I go to the Werdenfelser Alm. Some of the dishes particularly those with sauces can be very salty but there is a good choice and as usual there are good pork dishes and local trout. The staff are busy and do well to get the meals out once you've ordered.

Favorite Dish: It used to be called a Fitness steak. A slab of steak covered in crispy fried onions with pan fried potatoes. Followed by an Apfelkuchen mit eis and often a complimntary schnapps.

Various: Afternoon meals

Feeding Time!

Most resturants will seve food at lunchtime until 1430 or sometimes 1500 and then offer a smaller snack menu until early evening. The same applies to the bars in the hills. Don't worry! You won't go hungry. The afternoon menus centre on cold plates wirh cheese, ham and pork with some local bread usually available. A mixed plate of meat & cheese should also be on offer.Hot dishes tend to be limited to Goulaschsuppe or an Eintopf (Potato & Vegetable soup with frankfurter type sausage) or Strammer Max which is the local name for Ham & fried eggs on a piece of bread. Some places will seve Bratwurst and fried potatoes or potato salad. The cold plates usually comprise of a plate covered in meat or cheese with 2 or 3 slices of the local brown bread and go down well with a few beers. Most places will sell Apfel Kuchen but it's better with coffee than beer so I stick to the savoury stuff.

Favorite Dish: Schweinbraten and horseradish. The horseradish is hot and strong.

garmischer brauhaus: local fare with local flare - 2 -

smoke covered walls & murals

As you can see from these walls, they have been smoke covered for many years, but when they need to repaint, they cannot touch the murals, so they need to paint around them. The furniture is old, original, and along with the ceramic oven, warm & inviting on a cool day, cool & refreshing on a hot day. Outside the Garmischer Brauhof, is a beer garden where you can sit in the summertime. Just down the street is the Isar river.

Favorite Dish: My favorite Bavarian dish is Jaeggerschnitzel und pommes. The veal cutlet comes in a rich, mushroom gravy, which adds flavour to the french fries or pan fried potatoes. All washed down with some of Bavaria's legendary beer. I usually take the Helles, which is an Export or Lager beer. If it is hot outside, then a nice Weissbier is good, too.

Instant Answers: Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Comments

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Garmisch-Partenkirchen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Garmisch-Partenkirchen sightseeing.

View all Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels