Ingolstadt Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Ingolstadt

Restaurant Hugl: great!

by iaint Written Jun 9, 2014
    dusk

We had a really enjoyable dinner in the Biergarten at this city centre place. Excellent food and service.
    I had a meat dish - pork and chcken in a peppercorn/cream sauce with gratin potatoes and vegetables. All great.
    Then a lemon sorbet in vodka on a red fruit coulis. Fresh and yummy.
    Its really restaurant rather than Biergarten food!

Favorite Dish: The dessert!

• Work Abroad

Zum Anker: excellent

by iaint Written Mar 5, 2014

This is a traditional Gasthof right in the city centre, opposite the theatre. It was pretty busy even on a Tuesday night, so think about booking a table!

The food, atmosphere & service were great. The food is mostly typical German/Bavarian.

We shared a mixed starter - smoked salmon, poached trout, smoked ham with melon, mozzarella with tomato and some hot duck breast.

My main course was rabbit in a mustard sauce (rabbit is hard to find - you need to know someone) with potato and a mixed salad.

Dessert was panna cotta with sorbet & fresh pineapple.

I had a glass of Dornfelder red (from Pfalz) to wash it down.

All highly recommended.

I wasn’t paying, so I can’t help with prices.

Favorite Dish: My rabbit!

• Wine Tasting

Shinshu: shabushabu

by iaint Updated Dec 29, 2013

way in

I had my second visit in December 11. This time I had shabushabu. It’s one of the fixed price menus - €27. Great value.

One course was half a stewed aubergine, with these things on top which wriggled as if they were alive. Turned out to be dried tuna flakes. Weird, but wonderful

Shabushabu is a dish which you cook by yourself at the table. Thinly sliced beef, veggies, noodles & tofu go into a simmering stock. When cooked, you fish them out to eat. Great fun.

Highly recommended for quality and value for money.

UPDATE
    Back in December '13, and super again. This time it was the mega €40 menu. About 9 (small) courses.

Favorite Dish: The shabushabu - it's fun

Schlosswirt: old style

by iaint Updated Dec 3, 2013
    entrance

A traditional "Gaststätte" with a history going back into the 19th century.

It seems to be very popular for family celebrations, such as weddings & birthdays. Several private rooms.

It's a hotel as well as a restaurant, and being 2km from Audi's world HQ must be a big plus.

We just went for a quick midweek dinner, knowing nothing about it in advance. Turned out great. So traditional that there is no menu (at least midweek). We were offered the soup of the day (cream of broccoli) and a choice of 3 main courses - all local. We had pork with Schpaetzle & Blaukraut.

All wonderful, and (traditionally) generous portions.

Beer is Nordbräu - brewed just a couple of kilometres away. Excellent too.

Friendly service and lovely traditional decor. Cheap too (can't be precise as OH paid, but she was very chirpy about it).

Highly recommended if you're willing to take pot luck with what's "on" that day, or can phone ahead to check.

Favorite Dish: Pork - deeelicious

Da Gino: lunch al fresco

by iaint Updated Mar 4, 2013

An Italian place right in the city centre. We had a lovely open air lunch there in July 11 - I had ravioli in a sauce made with gorgonzola and local mushrooms. Delicious.

My friend had black pasta with scallops in a curry sauce. Sounds weird, but it was lovely.

Good service and about €30 for the 2 of us, with a big bottle of water. Not cheap, but...

UPDATE!

We were back last night (3-3-13) for dinner. Very enjoyable. Eating inside, of course.

I had carpaccio of octopus, a steak in mushroom & red wine sauce, and panna cotta. Red wine too.

Dr D had 3 courses with wine too.

No change out of €108, but what the hell.

Favorite Dish: My ravioli, I guess...

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Schonzer Ratschen: Take a Slide down to keller

by BruceDunning Written Aug 5, 2012

Sign on the street

Traditional brat was good and haerty

Favorite Dish: The prices were rather pricey for all food at 12-22 Euro and drink of 1/2 liter beer 4 Euro. I had a brat and kraut because the other items sounded too steep for the value

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Kuhlbauer: BAvarian Food of Tradition

by BruceDunning Updated Aug 5, 2012

View of the seating area

It was good overall BAvarian food, and plenty to eat. The menu items price ranges 10-18 Euro and the drinks-beer 1/2 liter 3,50 Euro. Sauerbraten was 13 Euro. Schweinhaxen was 10 Euro

Favorite Dish: Always like the Schweinhaxen. This one was a bit on the small side, though. It came with kraut and dumplings of course-tht thick potato lump

Delphi: Greek

by iaint Written Jun 25, 2012

A Greek taverna in downtown Ingolstadt. And very good too.

We ordered a cold mixed starter and a hot one, then shared between us. Great, except that we were so stuffed the main courses became a problem.

Mine was souvlaki, and whilst I could eat all the meat I hardly touched the rice. Even with the help of some retsina...

Like the other Greek place I've been to locally, they give out a complimentary ouzo... but in a shot glass. No water! Beware. You were warned. Seems to be what the Germans expect.

I wasn't paying, so can't help about prices.

Favorite Dish: The souvlaki.

Colosseo: the local

by iaint Written Jun 16, 2012

deliveries too!

A 5 minute walk from the house.

Friendly atmosphere and good food at very affordable prices. The pizza "Colosseo" weighs in a massive €5.50 - and it's good. Extra cheese, Parma ham & rocket.

Even fritto misto is only €9.50.

Worth the trip out from the city.

An outside area for sunny, summer days.

Favorite Dish: The pizza!

• iaint's Profile Photo

Klosterschenke Weltenburg: Worth the trip!

by iaint Written Jun 12, 2012

Biergarten

Well off the beaten track - 45 minutes by car down the Donau.

It's a Biergarten in an Benedictine abbey right by the river. The abbey has a brewery too. Has done since 1050 - the oldest abbey brewery in the world.

I tried their equivalent of Helles, and it was excellent. For food I tried the award winning Klosterwurst. Delicious - served with creamy potatoes & veg.

My friend enjoyed her asparagus with lamb "ham". Yes, cold lamb slices which looked for all the world like sliced ham, but was lamb!

It was a public holiday in June when we visited, so very busy. As with all Biergartens, you just have to find your own space on a bench and sit down, even if sharing. Good way to get to know people.

A bonus is being able to see the chapel etc - per my Weltenburg "things to do" tip.

Favorite Dish: My scrummy sausage!

• Religious Travel

Avus: Wonderful

by iaint Written Dec 4, 2011

Our visit here was to celebrate my business’ 5th anniversary - a special occasion. It was just right for that!

A special location - it’s in the AUDI Forum, and my AUDI A3 has come to symbolise the business it represents.

A special menu - the 5 course “surprise” menu. The restaurant chooses all 5 courses and all 5 wines!

It turned out great - special food, special wine, and special service.

First course was lobster & a scallop, with Sancerre. Next was zander (a local freshwater fish) & kohlrabi, with a Chilean white. Then quail & pasta, accompanied by a red Reisling. Now that’s unusual for a wine, and delicious - young, light and smokey. Steak with mashed potato came next, and the wine was Tempranillo. Desert was a chocolate mousse with fruit salad, and a desert wine from Italy was offered. Delicious - more like a sherry than a sweet wine.

Our waitress was wonderful - so knowledgable about the wines (her choices, apparently).

€65 p-p for that menu - worth it for sure.

Oh, and most importantly - special company.

Favorite Dish: Lobster...

• Wine Tasting

Antalya: super!

by iaint Written Oct 4, 2011

street view

It’s a well established Turkish place and we loved it.

Hot and cold meze to start - a typical mixture. Of the 12-14 dishes, probably only 2 I wouldn’t order again.

We had enough space left for main courses - mine was Adana kebap. Slightly spicy, served in a tomato sauce with yoghourt on top, and some crispy flatbread on the bottom.

The strange thing was they gave each of us a complimentary rakı as we ordered, but in a shot/schnapps glass with no ice or water. Never had that before - neat rakı. But, I’m told that’s the normal way locally, but usually you get it at the end of the meal. Weird. Apparently it’s the same with ouzo in Greek places.

Hmm...

I didn't pay, so I can't help on price.

Favorite Dish: The Adana kebap - lots of flavour!

Antonius-Schwaige: mixed...

by iaint Written Oct 3, 2011

The oldest biergarten in the city - 1905!

We were there on a beautiful, sunny, warm Saturday afternoon on the 1st day of October. Unusual to be able to sit outside in a t-shirt at that time of year.

The place has a good reputation, but...

It was quiet when we arrived - 3-4 tables max - and the 2 waitresses completely ignored us for about 15 minutes. Eventually we had to go find the menus and the waitresses. The food was good enough when it came. Mind you, my mushroom and potato omelette was crying out for a little salt and pepper. There was none on the table, so I just left it.

Enjoyable, but frustrating.

Favorite Dish: my omelette

Star Canyon: fun!

by iaint Written Jul 26, 2011

A Tex-Mex/South Western themed restaurant in Wettstetten, a village to the north of the city.

It’s ideal for kids and teenagers. Huge burgers, pizzas, steaks etc. Cocktails and American beer.

They have a happy hour from 6-7 on a Sunday. I’m told that - in keeping with local custom - Thursday, Friday and Saturday are the big dining out nights, and Sunday is much quieter.

We had a mixed starter for 2 - which was more than enough for the 4 of us. Onion rings, squid rings, mini samosas, mini spring rolls, deep fried stuffed jalapeños etc.

My main course was a chilli burger, served with home fries and a bit of salad. Delicious and big.

I really needed those two glasses of Nordbräu to wash it all down - couldn’t get into the theme and drink fizzy, tasteless, American beer in Bavaria!

I wasn’t paying, so I can’t help with prices.

Favorite Dish: My chilli burger... or maybe the Nordbräu.

Beckerwirt: special

by iaint Written Jul 26, 2011

A fascinating place. It looks like a standard village gasthaus, and in some ways it is, but all the food is organic, local and traceable.

Starter was dried ham. Excellent!

For my main course I had “Pariser” schnitzel - it is cooked in an egg batter rather than the more usual breadcrumbs - with fried potatoes. Delicious!

The service was good and the waitress was friendly and helpful - good that my friend often has seminars/meetings there, so she is a known customer.

The atmosphere was... well, gasthaus. Very family orientated.

Really enjoyed it.

I was paying this time - about €50 for the 2 of us, including a glass of wine each and a big bottle of water. Oh, and they gave us a complimentary glass of sekt while we wandered through the menu (I’m slow, because everything has to be translated for me!).

Favorite Dish: The schnitzel - or was it the glass of Zweigelt?

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Ingolstadt

Comments

Ingolstadt Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ingolstadt restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ingolstadt sightseeing.