It's a large artificial lake set in parkland on the edge of the city centre, right by the river (Donau).
It is the result of gravel excavation.
It opens up all sorts of possibilities. Walking, running & cycling on the paths around the lake. fishing for those wanting to chill. European bison & wild boar (in enclosures, not wandering about). Swimming I suppose, when warm enough. Picnics. A rowing club - on the river, not the lake.
You'll find a wee rickety Biergarten at the end farthest from town - no food, but cold beer & other drinks, ice cream etc. You can eat your picnic there, of course.
The Ingolstadt triathlon takes place there - see website.
Another Biergarten at the other end is currently being renovated.
Strangely enough this seem to be an arena for events; like hockey of soccer, or bands , so why it is called stadtheater, who knows. Not me. It is located on the ring road starting to enter Klenzepark. It looks more like a roller skating rink
It would have been nice to take some pictures-but alas not. The Asam brothers built this church to make themselves more redeemable. They wer both greqt well known architects in the region and good artists of design also. It was constructed between 1732-36 in major BAroque style. The ceiling frescoe is a main feature inside with it being the largest in the world at about 125 feet by 48 feet and completed by Cosmas DAmian Asam in 1780. The frescoe depicts the preaching to all corners of the earth and shows the religious connection between the points. The altar is a very colorful and special display of BAroque.
Shortly after the brothers got the church completed, the townfolk felt left out and demanded they get access to the church also. The Asam brothers relented and then felt the local swould like them more; maybe or maybe not.
it is open 10-1 and 2-5Pm March-October and lesser hours in other months. They charge 2 Euro to see the site, and sometimes close it for normal venues for the church practice of choir or events of teh members
This was a one day event because it takes a bit to get to it about and to here, being 20 miles out of town. Then you have to drive around to the back of the huge complex to enter to the tour place and gift shops/restaurants. The plant employs 20,000 workers and they move through around 600,00 vehicles a year, or 2500 a day.
The museum having about 50-60 old style cars and motorbikes are here to tour, and it is free. The tour may take 1+ hours to see and read the pamphlet information on the vehicles. The tour of the plant is long at about 2 hours, and takes you at least 2 miles walking; some other tours may take about 3 hours and longer. There are 7 basic tours with two being the general walk through the plant, while others are specific and show the make up of an Audi from front to back, or specialty functions; like paint rooms, etc. The price is 7 Euro for most tours.
It was a fantastic tour and you get right into the middle of the assembly areas to see workers putting the pieces together. Highly recommended even for those not into car manufacturing. it is open 10-6PM and reservations needed to get on the tour route. CAll ahead the day before, or show up early to get a spot to tour, or be left out. No pictures allowed inside the tour area.
The difference is night and day. The new rathaus is today's use by administrative employees. It is a mundane and ugle looking structure sitting in the middle of the main RAthausplatz. On the other hand, the Alte Rathaus consists of four buildings all connected, and the outside facade colorful and unique in its BAroque style. The first building on site was about 1323 and the last renovated portion was done in 1882 by GAbriel von Seidel, into Renaissance style and brought the structures together into one. It now is the house of the Lord Mayor
This was once the armory of the town and held many weapons. It held the defense position for the north side of the town in 1800's. It had its own gate at one time called Kavelier Hepp 1838-43. The museum is spread throughout the huge red brick building and must take up about 40-50 rooms. Once you get to an end, you must return the same way. The displays are scant in most rooms, and not a lot to see in each for the most part. Most are of people and their customs, archaeology, dress styles, religious items, and military pieces and weapons, and even some AFrican exhibits of their hand crafted "art" so called and of the indigenous people.
The tour may last 2 hours and it cost 4 Euro. It is open 10-6PM daily March-October and lesser hours in other months.
The roof is seven stories high and it took 3800 huge timbers to construct the supports. The church was built between 1425 and 1525, with towers and expansion added over the years. The intent was to have the biggest church for Ludwig Gebarete. The two main towers are about 180 feet and 210 feet high. The inside has many statues, reliefs, and icons of the religion. There are a lot of tombs inside and many are for professors to honor their contribution to the educated masses. There are a number of naves and prayer sanctuary places inside, and the huge columns overwhelm the masses that can hold a few thousand.
The church and Gnadenthal building next to it were built in 1276. In 1487 the belltower was added and in 1605 it converted into a baroque style. The kloster is behind the church and stil used today for the religious ones.
The church was built in 1275. It holds 90 graves of Governors, and other high ranking people of the town between 1472 and 1800. The friars made this a monument to those of the past, and the inside is quite average, yet still wonderful. Many items are to commemorate the famed people of the town.
The church has a presence her since the 9th century, and is the oldest in the town. It has been renovated and upgraded many times. The church is themed in Rococo and the Immaculata inside is said to be one of the best in Europe. A guard watch tower is adjacent to the church and it is the tall slender steeple with a triangle point.
This is one outstanding display of items from Medieval times to the mid 1800's, and the lives of the people and war to include the Thirty Years war. That war has the most displayed of armour, cannon, weapons, and booty taken from the Turks in 1536 strife. This army musuem dates back to 1879 when King Ludwig II turned the schloss over to BAvarian adminstration, and it has been a museum since.
Entry is the front of the schloss and the fee is 5 Euro combo with Reduit Tilley featuring the WWI exhibits. Open times are 10-5PM. It is located to the east and past the gate of the town wall' Pardeplatz
It was completed in 1418 and that made it new as compared to the older one inside the town walls. The schloss was part of a second wall that was added for defense, and also affiliated with Reduit Tilley nearby. Duke der GAbrete had this one built for more room and it is next to thew original schloss; Herzongskasten, the white buildilng with crenelated gables. The schloss now holds a great museum of WWII history, and features many very nice and unique displays. One great painting of Otto I on a horse is one of the first things to see inside. The Papenheimer is a great hall that used to be the place to congregate and eat with 42 tables and to serve food and drink.
The defense position was to support the protection of the Neuse Schloss nearby. It is a very large defense and has a moat around the perimeter. There are two levels with parapet outlooks to place the weapons. Inside there is a walkway that allows the party to maneuver to these points. Now the inside is a very nice WWI , museum. It has a large display of the war artifacts and everyday life of the people during the time besides a lot of weapons and cannon. There are great towers, casements and Scanz- an open air museum. It was first built beginning in 1527-76 and updated over the years. In 1828, it was modified to fit current day defenses. A renovation took place in 1992.
The museum is part of the BAyerisches Armeemusuem that is in the Neuse Schloss. This one takes about 2 hours to see the sites. This museum is open 10-5PM daily most of the time. Cost is 5 Euro combo with the Bayerisches museum
This large park has a grand display of green grass and trees, and is situated along the Donau. It has the Reduit Tilley and Brunnen in the edge near the river; another nice site. It is about 12 acres of ground and been added for more enjoyment back in 1978 more green areas. There is a canal running through it and also a garden area that has flowers and some vegetable plots.
Within the old town are about 10,000 residents, and they do not need defending any longer by using the walls and towers to fight off the attackers, unless today they are tourists filling every crack and cranny in the streets and off to side sites.
There once was 87 towers and the brick wall about 2 miles (3 km) circular was built in 1363, and expanded later in 1430 with a second wall being added then. The towers remaining are very well preserved. The Krueztor is the oldest gate entrances from 1385 and it today is still used for vehicle entry to the old town behind the walls. It was restored in mid 1900's and is now an icon of a solid looking gate.
The Taschenturm is also from mid 1300's, and the white facade standout out on the horizon. It was a key gate back in its day because it also allowed water from a creek to come into the town. After having no need for the gate tower any longer, it got additions of houses built next to it.
The Paradplatztor was the gate that the rulers came into the town from their residence. It begins the street called Ludwigstrasse; the main avenue in the town, and parades were marched down it in the old days.