Ingolstadt Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Ingolstadt

DB Bahn

by iaint Updated Dec 3, 2013
    man v machine

The city is halfway between Munich and Nürnberg on the train.

1 hour 10 minutes to Munich on a "Regional" train. A little more to Nürnberg. In both cases you have a faster & more expensive option of taking the ICE.

On the Regional line you can get a Bayern ticket for €22 (1 person, 1 day, off peak trains). You can add up to 1 adult & 2 children (I think) for a top price of €35. That's all in - not per person.

Good deal just for 1, but great if more than that.

Ticket machine has an English option, but it still helps if you know what you want! It won't take €50 notes. It takes my UK credit card, but only debit cards from Germany (I'm told).

Regional trains are pleasant & comfortable, if not fast. However, trains to/from Munich can be rowdy if FC Bayern has a home game and during Oktoberfest.

• Trains

by iaint Written Jun 15, 2012

ZOB

ZOB = Zentraler Omnibusbahnhof = central bus station.

Local buses are operated by INVG, and its website will give you a routemap etc.

The bus station is right in the city centre.

It is also where you'll catch the airport express to Munich Airport.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Airport bus

by Gili_S Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is regular airport bus service to/from Munich international airport. The buses are not that frequent, about every 90 minutes so check the schedule in advance. Buses are leaving from Audi building and the central bus station.

style pt II

by iaint Written Jul 18, 2010

My hostess Rosi has a 1980s vintage Vespa & sidecar, which she took me into town in (on?) and then collected me when I did my wee sightseeing tour.

Well, there's a first time for everything...

We got some amazed/amazing looks from the people we passed.

As an aside, it's comfortable & fun (in the summer heat, especially).

Thanks Rosi!

• Motorcycle

style

by iaint Written Jul 18, 2010

My host Till collected me from the airport...

While all the other sweaty easyJetters went hunting for buses, trains or taxis, I climbed into a 1980s vintage restored BMW convertible - 30c in July, so roof down even at 11pm.

A memorable trip up the A9 under the stars with the wind in my hair, at speeds up to 160km p-h.

Till also dropped me at the airport on the way back - when we hit traffic on the A9, we got off and took the scenic route through the hop growing area. Lovely way to see a bit of rural Bavaria.

All highly recommended...but equally exclusive, I'm afraid.

• Luxury Travel

easy access

by iaint Updated Jul 18, 2010

I flew to Munich Airport with easyJet from Edinburgh. A 2 hour flight, which was 2 hours late on the outward trip and 20 minutes late returning. All to do with the annual air traffic controllers' strike in France.

Cost was about £150 return, booked 4 weeks in advance.

The airport is 70km from Ingolstadt by autobahn. At 160km p/h it doesn't take long...

I'm told you can take a shuttle bus to/from the railway station in Ingolstadt.

The airport access by car is wonderful, although the A9 can be badly congested. The airport itself is also excellent - spacious and calm.

easyJet is easyJet, of course. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Bus

by Gili_S Written Sep 27, 2004

This is the bus station of Ingolstadt. It was surely nice and easy waiting for the bus here on a hot summer day, I am not sure how it would be in the winter, I would probably be too lazy to take my hands out of my pockets.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Plane .......

by Laura_Mexico Updated Dec 27, 2002

I flew to the Munich airport (closest one to Ingolstadt) and then I was taken to Ingolstadt, which is barely an hour drive away. There is a good way to get to Ingolstadt as soon as you land at the Munich airport, which I will describe in the next transportation tip. For now, I would like you to see what an amazing view this is: a plane running exactly above my head! The road goes below the plane's highway, so you can see from a car or a bus how the planes pass right above you! It's amazing!!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

....... + Bus!

by Laura_Mexico Written Dec 27, 2002

Now, once you get to the Munich Airport you can pick a booklet like the one shown on the picture and ride one of these express buses, which will take you to 4 different places in Ingolstadt (I took mine on the Audi Forum bus stop, but you can choose the closest one to the place where you need to go). It's a very comfortable bus and it will take you directly from the airport to this town AND VICEVERSA. The single trip will cost you around 14-15 EUR, but I think it's a lot faster than trying to go from the Aiport to Munich and then take a train to Ingolstadt. The booklet will show you the schedules (TO and FROM Ingolstadt-Munich Airport) and the places where you can take the bus. You can pay your ticket directly to the driver.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Rail train comes by

by BruceDunning Written Aug 5, 2012

Train on to next stop

The city is rather large overall and the rail comes here for stops to more major cities around the region and beyond. A number of locals come here by rail

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Ingolstadt Hauptbahnhof

by gordonilla Written May 14, 2007

The Hauptbahnhof is always very busy and over the years it has developed and now there are a number of thriving businesses. Bakers, florists, book store and internet facilities.

Instant Answers: Ingolstadt

Comments

Ingolstadt Transportation

Reviews and photos of Ingolstadt transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ingolstadt sightseeing.