Everything about beer, Munich

Know about this? Rate It!

Biergarten at the Viktualienmarkt
    Biergarten at the Hofbrau Keller
    A weiss bier from Hofbrau
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

Kirner Pils.

by Jerelis Written Apr 27, 2013
    Kirner Pils.

Favorite thing: Let’s make no secret of it. We both like a nice cold glass of beer. Being abroad is always a challenge to find a beer we like, which reflects our taste of having a beer. In Germany it was sometimes rather difficult. We found out that there are quite some local beers, only known in that particular area. But anyway, we did like the Kirner Pils.

The history of the Kirner family dates back to the 15th century. The first link to a brewery is made in the 17th century when they opened the doors in the little village of Kirn. The beer became rather popular and ever since 1798 it´s even available on a large scale. Just try it, it´s good!

• tompt's Profile Photo

Beer and beer

by tompt Updated May 3, 2009

A regular Hofbrau, the heavy drinker size.

Favorite thing: Beer is the local drink in Munich. Beer is all around at all times. From early in the morning to late at night you will find people drinking beer. There are 6 major breweries in Munich, together producing over 5.2 billion hectolitre beer a year. All of them having their own beer gardens. And all of them having several different beers. Just let it all surprise you and try whatever is on the menu.
    A litre is for the large drinkers. 500 ml is the normal size. For Weissbier (a turbid beer made from
    wheat) the glass is always 500 ml.

The websites of the breweries:

• shuen's Profile Photo

Weissbier - Wheat Beer

by shuen Updated May 4, 2004

Favorite thing: Gotta try bavarian wheat beer or commonly known as Weissbier in deutsch. My favourite weissbier definitely goes to Franzkiskaner. Paulaner or Erdinger Weissbier is just as good. And its cheap ! A pint of weissiber in germany don't cost anything more than 2-3Euros

Fondest memory: Weissbier ! Can hardly find any quality weissbier in manchester.

WEINHAUS SCHNEIDER

by LysDor Updated Apr 15, 2004

Favorite thing: Upstair there is this cosy and discret weinhaus just next MarienPlatz that offers a wide range of german wines. It is here that I tasted a dry-white-wine which just stucked onto my palate - it was meant for diabetes-people - no sugar!

It was good by all means after you'll get to appreciate it, and I loved the dryeness of it...!
    I just enjoyed it soooooooo much I forgot I had reservation for a dinner place -ups!!
    Fortunatly downstairs there was a relaxed typical bavarian restaurant and we could have a nice dinner there!

Address: Sparkassenstraße 1, 80331 München.
    Tel: 089/29161306
    Open: Mo-Sa 11.30am to 3pm and from 5.30pm until 1am (Kitchen closes at 10pm)

WEIN PROBIERSTUBE

by LysDor Updated Apr 15, 2004

Favorite thing: If you prefer german wines as I do, there are many 'Wein Stube' where you have the opportunity to sit at a shared wooden table, take part of a current discussion and taste one of the local wines-.

You can choose from trocken wine:'dry', never contains more than 9 grams of residual sugar per liter, often less or halbtrocken:'off-dry', may have not more than 18 grams of residual sugar per liter.

FUN TIME GUARANTEED even if there are no beers - ONLY WINES but you will make friends!!
    ......................................................................
    Address: residenzstraße 1, Munich
    Phone: 225628

UNIONS BRÄU

by LysDor Updated Oct 21, 2003

Favorite thing: Start your evening by a beer pubs' and winehouses' tour.

The true specialty of the house is the naturally cloudy, unfiltered beer.

This microbrewery is located in Haidhausen: Einsteinstrasse 42 - 81675 Munich.
    Open: Daily 11 am-1 am,
    Fridays and Saturdays to 3 am.
    No credit cards.
    Phone 477-677.

For more details (Only in german!): Unions Brau'

GERMAN WINES!

by LysDor Updated Jun 2, 2003

Favorite thing: WEINHAUS NEUNER

A relatively small weintube on the left side and a much bigger good quality restaurant on the right side.

I just had a glass of excellent Wurzburger white wine from Franken region and did not eat this time!

Address:Herzogspitalstrasse 8

JODLERWIRT

by LysDor Updated Jun 2, 2003

Favorite thing: It's a typical bavarian beer house with a rustic interior close to Alter Hof.

Upstair there is a pub with a local trubadour performing joddling and telling nasty jokes in drastic bavarian dialect!

If you thought you can understand fluently german you must see and hear this 'show'.

: Address: In the corner of Diener Strasse and Altenhof Strasse

• TinyTuck's Profile Photo

Biergarten

by TinyTuck Updated Nov 22, 2002

Favorite thing: There are tons of beer gardens all over Munich! Those are (usually traditional Bavarian) pubs where you sit outside in the "garden" and have some "Mass" of beer (one Mass = one liter!). Most also serve traditional (hearty) food.
    Open all day during spring and summer time.

• Pod's Profile Photo

Drink lots and lots of beer.It...

by Pod Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Drink lots and lots of beer.It rained alot so i could'nt go to any Biergartens.I did the next best thing and went into the Bierhalles.There were umpah bands and sing alongs.if you want something a little quieter,most restraunts have a bar.

• einokj's Profile Photo

Visit beergarten and parks

by einokj Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Beergartens with plenty of space, as well as beautiful and big parks. More information, check out: www.biergarten.com (only in german).

And our absolutely lovely and nice finnish people society! I've had so much fun with them. You can try to spot some of our events in www.suomikantis.50megs.com (under construction, naturally).

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Go to a beer garden if the...

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to a beer garden if the weather is nice, you will perhaps get more insight into the Bavarian culture than by doing anything else.

Fondest memory: It was New Year’s Day and I was a bit dejected. I had returned to Munich the day after Christmas, just six weeks after completing a marathon tour of Europe, to see just how well I would get on in “real” life with Hanna. I had grown very close to her in Munich in September and on a rendezvous in Prague. We had already begun planning a trip to Cambodia and Vietnam for the spring but having only spent a combined ten days together, much of it under the influence of the world renowned Pilsner Urquell, it seemed a good idea to see how compatible we were. It became apparent after five days that we really were a bad match and though could be great friends, there was no way we’d ever be a couple. I still stayed with her as I had nowhere else to go and my discount plane ticket carried big penalties for changing dates. New Years Eve had been fun if not what I had hoped for. Having spent five of the previous six Eves alone, I envisioned a cozy romantic night but since we broke up the night before, it turned out more as a bacchanal sort of outing. We partied till seven thirty in the morning and I was surprised and hurt when she decided to stay out rather than return home to her apartment with me. After sleeping a few hours, I woke up and logged onto VT in hopes of some companionship and was happy to see Andreas online. He suggested coming over and meeting his new housemate and I happily walked over to his place through the familiar cemetery that separated my two friend’s flats. It was nice to see Andreas and Silvia again whom I had stayed with in September in the beginning of my fall odyssey. The warm welcome I got was a real cure for the blues I was feeling and the new addition to the house, Doreen, took my breath away on first glance. I spoke with Silvia about my recent plights but Doreen was next to her and I used our established ease to parlay one between the enchanting stranger and myself. We found our eyes meeting on more then one occasion and when we sat down for coffee, Andreas insisted on a photo of us together. He cajoled us into sitting very close together and when our heads touched, there was a definite electrical spark between us. The day went by so fast and when it was time for me to leave, they suggested I come back on Friday night for dinner.
    I told Andreas that I would bring a Malbec wine from Argentina but he said that would not be necessary, that I should bring the biggest bottle of the cheapest red wine I could find along with a big bottle of rum. I was a bit confused but more then intrigued to see just what he had planned. I arrived that night full of anticipation. Doreen and I had e-mailed a lot in the 48 hours that had passed and it seemed much to my surprise that she was as taken with me as I was with her. Andreas explained that he would make a traditional winter punch and pulled out all the paraphernalia that went along with it. The wine was heated on the stove with some orange juice and spices and then moved over to a large silver pot that was heated more gently by a flame from underneath. There was a cylinder of sugar resting on a small platform above it. He poured the rum over it and lit it on fire, turning the lights out in the room for dramatic effect. It was quite romantic and the warm nectar was intoxicating and all too easy to drink. We soon found ourselves aglow in not only the fire of the cauldron but in the merry laughter that so easily was flowing. The whole batch was gone in no time and a second one more sloppily readied. Midway through it, Doreen and I found our faces growing closer, and soon our lips met in a longing and lasting kiss. I had come looking for love and though things had not gone according to plan, there was little doubt that said discovery was right around the corner now.

• The most beautiful place in...

by Romulo Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: The most beautiful place in munich to visit is a park where people drink beer every day, and one litre of beer cost 2 U$D.
    Un lugar hermoso en munich para visitar es una plaza donde los alemanes van a tomas cerveza a cualñquier horario del dia y el litro de cerveza cuestas 2 dolares estadounidenses.

• stoner's Profile Photo

go to one of the beer halls,...

by stoner Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: go to one of the beer halls, the Hofbrau Haus is one of the more reknowned halls.

Fondest memory: The beer is fantastic, and you have to sample at least one of the many Bavarian sausages (keep your minds out of the gutter).

• You must visit one of the...

by rundstrm Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: You must visit one of the beergardens (Biergarten) they hav ein Munich. I can especially recommend 'Augustinerkeller' which is located on the Arnulfsresse, not far from the trainstation.

Fondest memory: It's nice to have breakfast on sundays in one of the many pubs or cafe´s who serves breakfast.

Instant Answers: Munich