Hofbräuhaus, Munich

Know about this? Rate It!

Bavarian Band
    Exterior of Hofbrauhaus
    Interior of Hofbrauhaus
  • Hofbräuhaus: A worthy tourist trap

by mrandmrsdevlin Written Apr 7, 2005

The Hofbrauhaus is the embodiment of German beer-drinking, brat-munchin culture is all about. It's big, it's touristy, and people wear leiderhosen...what more could you ask for? Plus, you can carve your name in the furniture and nobody will think twice about it.

• Hosell's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: A GREAT NIGHT OUT!

by Hosell Updated Apr 6, 2005

I placed a picture of this restaurant at Things To Do,talking about the Oktoberfest.
    We went to the Hofbrähaus in the only night that I spent in Munich.It was an excursion from my trip including in the itinerary.

Hofbrähaus is without any doubts one best and most tourist spots in the city and is a Beerhall-Restaurant.It is a huge building and the ground floor is normally just for locals.
    The first floor are for tourist,and is an huge self service restaurant with local live music.
    In the self service buffet,you'll find a huge variety of food:
    Meats
    Vegetables
    Pasta
    Soups
    German Sausages
    and lot of nice desserts!!.

REALLY A GREAT NIGHT OUT!!!!!.

Dress Code: During our visit to Hofbrähaus we saw a few more groups of tourist,we were then: Spanish,Japanese,Italians,French and also a small group of Brittish.
    We had lot of fun with the very nice music and the best German Beers!!!
    :-)

• Hofbräuhaus: Where tourists are happy

by sabsi Updated Apr 5, 2005

Durst ist schlimmer als Heimweh: In Hofbr��uhaus

This is Munich's main tourist attraction and it's very unlikely you will meet many locals here.

I never laughed as much about any pub in the world before I think!!! It was a great experience to see all the tourists dance on their tables along to the live music by a good old "Blasmusik" band!

However, there have to be some locals at least: Several tables have a "Stammtisch" plaque which means that the same group of people meets here regularly. There also is some kind of shelf here where the locals store their "Steins" so that they can drink from their own glass.

We didn't stay for very long here because we felt like being in the Twilight Zone a bit....

Dress Code: Lederhosen, Dirndl, Shorts, Camera - anything will do!

• KieronP's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: Beer and Pretzels

by KieronP Written Apr 3, 2005

Waitress

The Hofbrauhaus is an amazing place. Sit down on a long table with a few beers and soon you will be talking to the people next to you. The first time I went we had three different groups of people sitting next to us in the first hour and we had fun talking with all of them.
    The food is traditional Bavarian which goes with the beer really well, you can also build up a thirst by munching on salty pretzels.

Dress Code: No dress code that I noticed

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: No Visit to Munich is Complete Without the HB

by XtravelloverX Updated Feb 28, 2005

Hofbrauhaus, Munich, Germany

Ein bier, bitte! (One beer, please!) hee hee

When we were there, they closed at midnight, not sure if that's still the case now. If you want an opportunity to drink many steins with people from all over the world, locals too, all the while jammin' to a traditional 'oompah' band, then this is your place!!!

Dress Code: Casual dress code b/c it's a beerhall! Be comfortable and ready to drink and eat. :)

• Music

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: Hofbrauhaus

by Blatherwick Written Dec 15, 2004
    Hofbrauhaus

Beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer...

This well known beer hall that has existed since 1589 has a great atmosphere that is hard to beat. It usually sits around 500 people but I hear that during Oktoberfest this number can swell to nearly 3,000. It has everything that you think of when you think of Bavarian beer halls right down to the oom-pah oom-pah music, drunken revelry and lederhosen. The beer may be a little bit more expensive but it is still some of the best in the world all served in 1L stiens.

Look at the ceiling before you leave. Those Bavarian flag colours cover up what were once Nazi swastikas. In February 1920 Adolf Hitler organized a much larger event for a crowd of nearly 2,000 here. Hitler himself was not the main speaker, but when his turn came he succeeded in calming a rowdy audience and presented a twenty-five point programme of ideas which were to be the basis of the Nazi party.

Dress Code: None

• Hofbräuhaus: laid back Hofbrauhaus option

by amish309 Written Nov 28, 2004

Directly across from the Hofbrauhaus and next to the Hard Rock is a nice little pub with awesome food. I'm not 100% sure what the name of the place was but the sign over the door says "Ayinger's". That happens to be a type of beer inside so I'm not sure if it's the name of the pub and the beer they have, or they're just advertising that they have that beer inside.

Dress Code: Whatever.

• Hofbräuhaus: Hoffy Heaven

by sam_c Written Oct 12, 2004

The Hoffy (as it was named by an Aussie guy I met in the youth hostel) was the most exciting place I happened across in Munich. The beer is not the best I've drunk, the music not the best I've heard, nor the company the best I've kept. But there is something about this place that I keep coming back to.

Beer. The Hofbräuhaus has some of the best brewed in Munich.

People: Of all nationalities. I even met an Iraqi Kurd here. We didn't talk about the war.

Price: Not the best. Lower is the Augustinerbräu, Paulaner etc., but you get what you pay for, usually.

The food is excellent, though the service leaves a lot to be desired. I had a hard time being understood in German, because my waiter was Polish....But English sufficed, as it always does..!
    If you're a meat eater, try the Schweinhax'n (pork knuckle, very nice big piece of roast pork on the bone), or the mixed sausage platter. But not, I repeat NOT, after ten "Maß" beers You'll be ill. Trust me..

Dress Code: None at all - just make sure you're wrapped up for the winter cold!

• School Holidays
    • Trains

• adinda's Profile Photo

Hofbrauhaus: ...and yet more beer!

by adinda Updated Nov 12, 2003

More beer! For me, one of these is enough to last me the evening! Just look around you and watch people have beer after beer after beer...Impressive! There are local bands playing some real Bavarian music for atmosphere!

Dress Code: For drinking beer, anything goes.

• myrtle's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: Be Careful

by myrtle Written Oct 18, 2003

Drinking at the Hofbrauhaus

The Hofbrauhaus is great, but be careful on your walk home. There were 4 of us girls by ourselves, but some German guys started following us & yelling at us as we walked back to our budget hotel. We were so scared we had to duck into a cafe that happened to be open late just to scare them off.

• Trains

• Hofbr?uhaus: everybody must get drunk

by maxomaxo Written Jun 17, 2003

The Muenchner Hofbrauhaus is a very old and famous place. It's basically a large market hall, filled with large tables to sit at. Beer comes in litres, I drank four of them. They've also got a food carte, so you won't need to get on your feet for some food, which comes in handy when you aren't able to stand on your feet anymore.
    When I was there, they also got live music; a little orchestra playing all the beer songs known to mankind.
    Tourists love the place, but it's great, cos everybody adapts so easily to the local customs: get drunk soon and sing.

• gingerpipp's Profile Photo

HofBrauHaus: World FAmous Pub

by gingerpipp Written May 5, 2003

Fantastic pub... the greatest i've been to. Beers come in 1L pitchers, the waitresses and waiters wear oldy style costumes and everyone is chatting and having a great time.... DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE IF YOU GO TO MUNICH!!!

Dress Code: Anything goes.

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Hofbrauhaus and Hard Rock Cafe: Beer and more

by TinKan Written Dec 17, 2002

Both houses

On one corner you have the best of both worlds... The Hofbrauhaus and the Hard Rock Cafe.

We went to the Hofbrauhaus for a few hours and enjoyed the oumpa music then went to the Hard Rock for some good old American Rock-n-roll.

The street between the two places is filled with people that were having a good time in both places and it is a good place to meet locals and travelers.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Hofbrauhaus: Two Bier or Not Two Bier

by Krumlovgirl Updated Dec 7, 2002

Everyone has heard of the Hofbrauhaus. And everything that you have heard is probably true. It's big, it's loud, and there is lots of beer. Basically, a bunch of people cram in there together where they eat, drink, and be merry all night. It's like Oktoberfest year round.

Dress Code: I don't think there really is one. Wear whatever you want to.

• Helga67's Profile Photo

HOFBRAUHAUS

by Helga67 Written Nov 21, 2002

Hofbr��uhaus, Munich

The Hofbräuhaus is one of the most popular Munich beer halls with spacious chambers, hard benches, crowds of tourists and locals having fun, and traditional oompah music. It still has a large hard-core local clientele. You will find them at the "Stammtisch".
    Here you can taste the local brewery beer HB in a 1l glass.

Dress Code: Casual or in the traditional Bavarian Lederhose :-)

Instant Answers: Munich