Know about this? Rate It!
Just outside of Munich is the city of Dachau. Dachau is more famous for the World War 2 concentration camp than anything else but there is more to see than just the camp. You can get there by taking the train which will take you to the main terminal for the bus and train near the town center. From there you can take the bus to the camp or explore the town itself.
- Historical Travel
- Family Travel
Dachau was one of Germany largest concentration camp. It has been turned into a museum that exhibits it´s history .
Dachau was the first concentration camp and over 200.000 people were sent there, of wich 30.000 died. The exhibition is shocking, to say the least.
The entrance is free but I would recommend hiring a radio guide.
- Museum Visits
Sleeping in Dachau
On one of his trips to Munich, many years ago, old Cliffie found that there was no room at the inn and drove off in search of a hotel in the outskirts. He ended up in Dachau, where his sensitive companion spent a troubled night dwelling on what had happened just outside the town. Old Cliffie has to admit that, as he sat in the bar of the Gasthof that night, idling watching the middle-aged locals sitting around their Stammtisch (regular table), he did wonder if any of them had been aware of what was happening on their doorstep not so many years before.
One thing that I liked about...
One thing that I liked about Munich is there are many day trips that are great! One that I will never forget is my trip to Dachau concentration camp, something that I think everyone should see although it is time consuming to get
there if you are using public transportation
Dachau is not only the concentration camp. It is rather a beautiful old town west of Munich. Main attraction is the Schloss Dachau (Dachau Palace) and the Marktkirche "Sankt Jacob".
Visit the former concentration...
Visit the former concentration camp which is now a museum and memorial at Dachau. Take the train to Dachau, and then there is regular bus service to the site.
See the travelogue for more pictures.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
Munich Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Yuba Lake State Recreation Area Hotels
- Tenali Hotels
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Ocean Lakes Hotels
- Grand Haven State Park Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path