Augustiner Bierhalle, Munich

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: A great traditional restaurant

by globetrott Updated Feb 23, 2006

Augustiner in Munich

Augustiner is one of the most beautiful traditional inns in Munich. It is situated in the pedestrian area and has this wonderful " beergarden " in the back of the building.
    I was there in october, and it was a bit too cold to sit outside, but in summer it will be hard to get any of these tables.

Favorite Dish:
    Schweinsbraten with Knödel / Knoedel and a fresh beer.
    There are different kinds of Knödel / Knoedel in Bavaria:
    Semmelknödel - made of rolls
    Kartoffelknödel - made of potatoes

• Seniors

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle/Augustinerbräuhaus: One of the best...

by flyingscot4 Updated Aug 25, 2007

First, there are three different Augustinerbräu sponsored bierhalls. The first in this pair of reviews is the Augustiner Bierhalle. This bierhalle is located in the pedestrian area between Karlsplatz and Marianplatz at Neuhauser Straße 27. While everyone should experience the Hofbräuhaus once, this is the place to return to. The food served in the downstairs restaurant is reasonable and excellent. The beer is inexpensive compared to a lot of the tourist places. The atmosphere is pure Bavarian. The biergarten is super with a very professional and friendly staff. Upstairs the actual bierhalle is lively and great fun.

The other, the Augustinerbräuhaus, is on Landsburgerstrasse. I believe that this is as close to the true (by definition) beer halls in the world. Like all of the Augustiner establishments, the food is great and the staff is helpful and professional. The atmosphere is beautiful but rustic Bavarian and wonderful. My only complaint about this bierhalle is the same in all of them: smoke. Wherever one finds beer, food, and people, one will always find smoker's in droves.

Conclusion: if you want to experience the real Munich, Augustiner is the word. For me, the Augustiner Bierhalle and the Augustinerbrauhäus are the best values for the money in Munich.

Favorite Dish: The schweinsbraten, sauerbraten, and schuefle at both places are all excellent. The do their own butchering and meatcutting. All of the sauces are perfectly subtle and not overpowering. A friend had the eisbein (pork shank) which was also excellent. The beer (Augustiner) is the best.

• Augustiner Bierhalle: A Classic

by sabsi Written Apr 4, 2005

Thomas @ Augustiner

This is one of the traditional beer halls of Munich. However, the waiters and waitresses aren't very traditional Bavarian. We heard a lot of slavic accents and one woman told her workmate in her best Berlin accent that she would wear her old Dirndl the following day ;)

In my opinion the Augustiner is not as touristy as Hofbräuhaus and I think the beer and food here is better too. The hall is huge and very traditional and nice. We sat outside in the backyard though to enjoy one of the first spring days of the year.

Favorite Dish: Weißwurst, Brezn and a very tasty sweet but spicy mustard.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Augustiner Restaurant: Historic place and a great location

by acemj Updated Aug 30, 2004

The Augustiner's origins date back to the late 13th century when monks from the Augustinian Monastery began brewing this celebrated beer. The existing location dates to the late 19th century and is located on the main shopping street between Marienplatz and Karlsplatz. I stopped in for a meal one afternoon and, although the food was heavy, it was very good. Try the pork knuckle if you don't mind clogged arteries and the potential for a massive life-ending heart attack!

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: I'll Have Another "Russ"

by Lacristina Updated Jul 22, 2005

Augustiner's Hidden Back Patio

An unexpected overnight stay in Munich - so I ask the hotel front desk to point me in the direction of the old part of town, where I might find a local restaurant and some good German beer.

The very first old-fashioned German-looking restaurant I came to was Augustiner. (Of course, it turns out it is extremely popular and well-known.)

Looked a bit touristy - the servers were even dressed in period-style clothes. But heck, that's what I'm here for!

I wanted to sit outside - but all the outdoor tables on the pedestrian street were filled. Walked inside to take a look.

Charming, cozy, with traditional dark wood. Quite lovely. But then I notice - this place is HUGE! I continue to walk back through room after room. Finally, I can see light - there's another patio all the way in the back!

I ask the host if there's a possibility of sitting with anyone (I know they don't want to give up a table for just one person). He finds a lovely German couple who've just sat down who agree to let me sit with them. He's a chemist - she's a pharmacist. They're in town for the opera.

And they introduce me to ein "Russ." It's a mixture of weissbier (wheat beer) and sparkling lemonade or soda. It sounds awful (to me), but it was wonderful.

Favorite Dish: I had a veal and chanterelles in a cream sauce - very rich. The dumplings could have been used as ballast they were so dense. The cooked, spiced red cabbage was overpowering!

In short - I LOVED IT! The Russ, too.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: A great experience

by Cristian_Uluru Written Sep 25, 2007

Augustiner Bierhalle

Augustiner Bierhalle is one of the ancient brewery of Munich (1328). Here you can taste the real Bavarian friedship and to eat and to drink the delicious Augustiner Beer in the typical long table. A great experience!!!

Favorite Dish: You must drink the Augustiner Beer. The restaurant has got a vast selection of Munich specialities like the rumpsteack, the sausages or the breaded pig.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Augustiner Restaurant: Atmosphere by the bucket load

by Maryimelda Written Mar 30, 2010

Wonderful atmosphere

The Augustiner is part of a big complex complete with hotel and function facilities. The Bierhalle is huge and loaded with atmosphere. We stopped in for lunch and were really impressed. The place was packed both inside and out and this to me, is always a good sign.

Favorite Dish: I must be honest and say I can't exactly remember what we ate only that we enjoyed it. They had a big basket of pretzels on the table which we tucked into only to find that what you have eaten is counted and charged for. I've since learnt that this is common practise in some parts of Europe and it doesn't bother me at all.

• Disabilities

• adambeau's Profile Photo

Augustiner: Notable

by adambeau Written Oct 27, 2002

Augustiner at Marienplatz

Another pleasurable outdoor cafe and Beer Garden with talented chefs sure to please.

Situate a fantastic restaurant in the center of Marienplatz, have some seating outside, and the others are history.

• adyeast's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Come in from the rain!

by adyeast Written Nov 18, 2007

To finish off our day, we stopped in the Augustiner Restaurant for a bite to eat and a refreshing drink. We found a table and it was a while before our stiff waiter decided he would wait on us. We ordered our meals and beers as best we could in German. He didn't seem to happy with our abilities. The food was ok, nothing too impressive. The beer was quite good though.

Since we were there a while we were able to meet several different groups of people as they came and went from our table.

At the end of the night when we went to pay, our waiter then decided to write down what we had ordered. I'm not sure if this is how it's normally done or if he does this with only those who speak little German (he tried to charge us for an entree we didn't order and was double what we had ordered!). We aren't positive but we think that we ended up getting charged for more than we ordered...so it's best to keep track of what you're ordering and the price!

• paoseo's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: It's always full of peole!!!!

by paoseo Written Feb 3, 2006

The first time I went there it was on the 31st. We tried to see if there was any space for two waiting for the midnight but it was a real "Mission impossible"!!
    But then I went back there other times and each time it was full of people eating, drinking beer and smoking.
    It was founded by Augustinian monks and the first time it was mentioned was 1328.
    It’s funny but you won’t find any nice and young waitressworking there but only middle aged women dressed as in the past; anothere funny thing is that it will be easier seeing young guys working there.
    They have the menu in all languages and don’t be upset if they look unpolite, it’s only that the place is always very full of people!!!!

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: A stopping off point for bier and kaffee

by gordonilla Written Mar 11, 2006

Front Door

We entered through the wrong doors, and as we did not want lunch we had to wlak through the restaurant area into the other side of the facility where we had bier and kaffee. We also had a few pretzels too.

• ayounker's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Bavarian Duck

by ayounker Written Feb 26, 2007

This a great traditional restaurant that I got directions to from some locals who eat there reguarly. Not nearly as touristy as the Hofbrauhaus and the food is much better. Prices were very inexpensive and the beer is as always in Bavaria, excellent. One of the cool things about this place is that it's set up like a Bierhalle, where there are long tables and you are seated next to strangers as you eat and drink. Since it's usually populated with locals, it's a great chance to meet people. I would also highly advise you to try the Bavarian Duck which came with Blau Kraut and a huge Potatoe dumpling (The size of a fist) on the side. When I got back home I tried in vain to replicate the recipe. I guess i'll just have to visit again! The Augustiner is located on Neuhauserstrasse, near central Munich.

Favorite Dish: Bavarian Duck.

• MLW20's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Make sure to go up to the Beer Hall

by MLW20 Written May 7, 2007

Augustiner was one of the best beer halls we visited. The place is huge and was totally packed when we got there. Make sure to go up the stairs on the right to get to the beer hall or else you will just be in the restaurant.

What was great about Augustiner was that lots of locals were here as well as tourists. Some say that Augustiner is the best beer in Munich. I'd say it was one of my favorites but not the top one.

The atmosphere was great at Augustiner. The waiter was very helpful and we ended up talking with some locals for a while and stayed until the place closed.

Favorite Dish: The menu was a bit limited due to a holiday but I was pleasantly surprised by my dish. I had fish which came with mashed potatoes and french fries. Fish isn't something I usually order out but it was really good.

For dessert I had this soft, doughy cake that came with vanilla ice cream and a really sweet syrup. It was pretty interesting and worth trying.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Big

by traveloturc Written Aug 1, 2006

Augustiner Gro��gastst��tte

Groß means big is an understatement - a really gross one. You could walk around this restaurant and beer hall for days. Just when you think you've seen the last huge room with antlers mounted on the wall, you turn a corner and there's another one or even a hidden courtyard beer garden. Like Munich, the brew is historic and excellent, as is the local cuisine prepared with meat from its own butcher shop.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Augustiner

by bonio Written Jul 21, 2005

ok, raining at the time!

Right in the city centre, a great beer hall, good food and my favourite edelstoff bier, hard to beat. Inside is huge, seems to be more rooms the further back you go and, outside a courtyard eating and drinking area. One not to miss!

Instant Answers: Munich