Places to eat in Munich

Interior (1)
    Interior (2)

Most Viewed Restaurants in Munich

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Villa Flossländle: A bit outside at Isar, but so cute :-)

by Trekki Updated Apr 18, 2014

This was a great find. For me that is, because Richie knows this quite well. We were walking along Isar River south of Tiergarten and wanted to have something to drink before we had to hop on the metro to make sure that I get my train back to where I live. So we were happy that this little restaurant was on our way back to the metro station.

I immediately liked its outside seating area with the untypical benches and tables and the cute decoration all over the place, like this huge iron works parrot (see photo). While Richie ordered the drinks, I went to the powder room and if there would be a nomination for the best ever, I would immediately choose this one. It has a very fresh and nice interior, with excellent photos, a huge mirror and little iron art work inside. The waste basket was not one of these plastic types but basketwork, something I would have expecteded in 5 star hotels.

But we came here to try the beer and Elderberry Schorle and to find another place where Richie can take Doreen to. My Schorle was really good and quenching and it looks like the beer was ok too. I wasn’t hungry so we didn’t eat, but the dishes on the menu outside sounded delicious. They also roast fish outside. Yes, it is a fish restaurant after all, given the look at the menus.
    Unfortunately I don’t remember most of the prices, but a baked potato with herb sour cream was 3,50 Euro and a medium portion of salad from the buffet 4,50 Euro. The prices on the menu list just outside of the restaurant weren’t that expensive either. As far as Richie remembers nothing was more than 15 Euro and as far as I remember, the majority of dishes were around 10 Euro (September 2010). Richie: reason enough to take Doreen there as soon as possible, note down the prices and write about it.

Directions:
    The place is easy to find. It is south of the nature bath Maria Einsiedel, south of Tiergarten Hellabrunn. It is not exactly at Isar River, but at one of its side arms. Get off at metro station Thalkirchen (Tierpark), walk direction Tiergarten but turn right (south) before the bridge to Tiergarten and walk until the restaurant is to your right.

Location of Villa Floßländle on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., June 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Isartaler Bräuhaus: Train Station Pub With a Twist

by travelfrosch Updated Apr 8, 2014

Update: The restaurant formerly known as Isarräu is now known as the Isartaler Bräuhaus.

Lots of train stations have pubs. But in this case, the train station IS a pub. A microbrewery, to be precise. The old Großhesselohe train station in the Pullach section of town has been converted into a clean, modern, and tasty destination in and of itself. You can sit inside at tables, or outside in the courtyard if the weather is good. The menu dishes range from traditional beer hall fare to Italian food to vegetarian dishes. And if you are a fan of weizen (wheat) beer, you have the opportunity to sample some brewed on the premises. Best of all, with an S-Bahn stop literally outside the brewery's back door, you don't have to worry about driving or finding the place.

Favorite Dish: I tried the Bierbratl and potato salad, while Sara had the vegetarian lasagne. Portions were quite large and prices were reasonable. For me, though, the star of the show was the Isargold weizen beer. I enjoyed the fresh and tasty brew very much. Isarbräu also makes a Belgian style "saison" beer on the premises. For those who prefer more traditional beer, you have the choice of pils, hell (light lager), and dunkel (dark lager) produced by Hofbräuhaus Traunstein (the "court brewery" of the Bavarian town of Traunstein -- not to be confused with Munich's Hofbräuhaus).

• Trains

Insel Mühle: Relaxing (Romatic?) Beer Garden by the Stream

by travelfrosch Updated Apr 8, 2014

Can a beer garden be romantic?

I stumbled across this gem on a Saturday afternoon while the rest of the VT crew was resting up for the World Cup Consolation Game. After an hour or so wandering around the outskirts of Munich (my guidebook's directions were way off), I finally found the place just as I was about to give up and head back to the S-Bahn station.

This ideally located beer garden is attached to a romantic hotel and restaurant by the same name. While the latter establishments are definitely more suited to well-heeled wedding receptions and/or honeymoons, the beer garden offers a more down-to-earth and peaceful atmosphere among shady trees and a flowing stream. Though I was alone, the scene did seem to work well for a Bavarian beer-drinking date location. I thought perhaps even Sara, by no means a huge beer fan, might enjoy the surroundings enough to let me enjoy a beer or three here someday.

Favorite Dish: Food was standard self-service beer garden fare at roughly average prices. On tap was the tasty Augustiner. I had a "mass" (1 liter) of the standard "Helles" (golden lager). If you want to get 1/2 liter of beer, you need to visit before 2PM. Otherwise, consider getting a "Weissbier," or beer made from wheat, which is served by the 1/2 liter all day long.

Ayinger Bräustüberl: Biergarten Next to a Brewery

by travelfrosch Updated Mar 28, 2014

If you're in a mood for a half-hour S-Bahn ride from Munich, a fun place to try is the flagship biergarten of the Ayinger brewery. Located (not surprisingly) in Aying, Ayinger Bräustüberl gets its brew fresh from the source just a few dozen meters away. Sit inside in the cavernous beer hall, or, if the weather's nice, outside at one of the numerous tables (the ones with table cloths offer table service, while the bare ones are self-service). Fresh, reasonably priced food and excellent beer are your reward for making your way out here.

Favorite Dish: I had some tasty mixed Preßack (head cheese) in vinegar with onions and pickles. Plentiful fare is available for more conventional palates, including a EUR 7.30, 3-course lunch option.

Beer is from the neighboring Ayinger brewery and delicious. A special treat is the "Kellerbier," an unfiltered golden lager which is (as far as I know) not available outside of Aying.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Stadtcafé: Coffee in the Film Museum

by gordonilla Written Mar 1, 2014

A friend who I had not seen for 30 years suggested we go for coffee here - it was enjoyable and pleasant. As with all such artistic locations, especially with a long history there is an ambience and atmosphere which seeps out and makes the location feel special.

Favorite Dish: coffee and cake

Kloster Andechs: Enjoyment for Body and Soul

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 3, 2014

"Genuss für Leib und Seele" (Enjoyment for Body and Soul) is the motto of the Andechs Monastery's "Bräustuberl." While not as much of a secret as it was when I first came here 20 years ago (that long??), it is certainly worth the effort to get here. My favorite way to get here is to hike (about 1 hour light hiking) from Herrsching. While I encourage you to visit the church, this tip is about the Bavarian food and heavenly beer.

When you enter the hall, you order food and beer in separate lines. There are actually three lines for food -- one for deli (cold cuts and cheeses), one for hot food (roast meat, sauerkraut, etc), and one for cafe food (tarts, cakes, coffee, and schnapps). Once you have your food and drink, it's open seating inside and outside (though there are a few tables in the main hall reserved for regulars). Note also that you're allowed to pack a picnic and eat outside as long as you buy your beverages.

The brewery opens daily at 10AM. Last call is at 8PM, but guests are allowed to take their time finishing their beer after last call. Table reservations are possible for groups of 20 or more; check the website for details. The Bräustuberl is closed Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.

Favorite Dish: I love the Schweinshaxe (grilled hamhock), although you're required to purchase an ENTIRE hamhock (2 pounds or more!). Sharing is allowed, but if your travel partner doesn't like pork, you're out of luck. Leaving food uneaten is considered very bad form by the locals. As a result, I normally order a few slices of "rollbraten" (roast pork), which is sold by the more manageable 100-gram unit.

Beer is plentiful, inexpensive, served straight from the barrel, and absolutely delicious. My favorite is the "Doppelbock Dunkel," a potent and sweet dark beer. Unfortunately, this wonderful beer is not always served; the Doppelock is often replaced by "Spezial Dunkel," a slightly less sweet, less flavorful, and considerably less potent dark beer. The monks also brew Helles (golden lager) and Weissbier (beer brewed with wheat). Beer is thankfully served in 1/2 liter glasses as well as the traditional 1-liter "masskrug."

• Religious Travel

• bonio's Profile Photo

Alte Wirt: Alte Wirt

by bonio Updated Nov 6, 2013

An Augustiner bar, restaurant with predictably good food and beer. Close to Unterschleissheim S-Bahn stop, good place to visit on the way to the airport?
    Both enjoyed our food here and it's a comfortable place to spend a couple of hours. lovey!

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Charming Café Tambosi (inside that is)

by Trekki Updated Sep 20, 2013

Yes, I recommend to go inside because outside it seems to be more a platform for Munich’s Schickeria (illustrious bohemia) or Bussi-society (bussi = kisses), see photo 3. The outside faces Odeonsplatz and this means that the people who sit there want to be seen with their sunglasses and their outfits. But... maybe I don’t get the idea...

Inside the café is cute, very charming. It is a mixture of Vienna coffeehouse and students’ cafe with these lovely marble “pillars” around the draft stations and the little iron statues on top. There is even a draft for tap water (second photo). Breakfast and small lunch snacks are served and of course coffee in all varieties. What I loved were the window seats. They were full with small cushions and the three of us could sit there and enjoy our coffee. The staff is incredible sweet and friendly. We had two latte macchiato, one double espresso and half a litre of black currant Schorle (1:1 mixture with water). Our bill came to 15 Euro (Sept. 2010), which is a bit on the more dearer side. But it was much worth it.

Update, September 20, 2013:
    In the meantime I learned more about Munich's and Bavaria's history and realised that there is a long story to Café Tambosi. Bavaria and Italy have bonds which date back many centuries. Especially King Ludwig I loved Roma and Firenze and wanted to establish a similar atmosphere in his capital Munich. He had Feldherrnhalle built, opposite of the cafe and modelled Odeonsplatz in an Italian way. So it was most natural that an Italian - Luigi Tambosi - opened the cafe here on what is still considered the most Italian part of Munich. And of course, around the corner is Munich Residence governmental seat for the Bavarian rulers until 1918. King Ludwig I had it extended and constructed in the style of Palazzo Pitti in Firenze.
    So... the café has its place in Munich's history and is not only just a café.

Location of Café Tambosi on Google Maps.

• Photography

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Porta Capuana: Excellent "authentic" Italian dining!

by Trekki Updated Aug 4, 2013

When I visited my sister in February 2012, we wanted to celebrate her birthday and decided that we want to eat Italian, but not pizza and pasta. We were looking for something more authentic. She found several restaurants and among these we finally picked Porta Capuana, an Italian restaurant with roots in Napoli.
    It was a very good decision because the dishes were indeed excellent. I had pumpkin soup as starter, followed by pasta dish orecchiette with spicy salami and pecorino cheese and as main dish I had slices of beef with mushrooms on a bed of polenta. And as desert we ordered a raspberry mousse.
    We also liked the interior: very simple, reddish orange painted walls and a good “acoustics”, meaning that we didn’t had to listen to all conversations at the other tables.

I can’t say anything about the final bill because my brother-in-law was so generous to pay. But it was average for a high end Italian restaurant.

Directions:
    The best would be to take the metro (lines S1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 stop here) and get off at Isartor. Depending where you surface, look for Thierschstraße and walk east. The restaurant is at the end of the building block.

Location of Porta Capuana on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., September 2012 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Augustiner Bräustuben: Good foul-weather beer hall

by travelfrosch Updated Jul 27, 2013

A fun place to visit, especially if the weather's bad and beer gardens are out of the question. Upon entry, turn left to the linen tablecloths of a genteel restaurant. Turn right, and find yourself in a woody beerhall, just as you'd imagine it (i.e. crowded, stuffy, smoky, noisy, and a barrel of fun). You'll generally sit on benches at long common tables in the middle of the hall. The tables on the sides are generally "Räsawiead" (reserved). You could call ahead to try and reserve one of these more comfortable tables. Good luck.

UPDATE: A rooftop beer garden / terrace is now open during fair weather. Also, another room (the "Alte Schmiede") is available for overflow seating and private functions.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the "Bratenpfanderl," a sort of combination hot-plate... a Bavarian Bento, if you will. You get 1/4 of a rotisserie duck, 1/4 of a Schweinshaxe (grilled hamhock), and several slices of roast pork, served with blaukraut and a "knödel" (a ball of bread or potato stuffing). Sara is fond of the "Rahmschwammerl," a bread dumpling smothered in cream-mushroom sauce. Yum!

This place is literally across the street from the Augustiner brewery, so you're not going to get much fresher beer anywhere. The "Edelstoff" is the flagship brand: fragrant, sweet, and slightly more potent than average (just under 6% alcohol). But here, order the ordinary "Helles," which is served directly "vom Holzfass" (from the barrel!)

Forschungsbrauerei: Microbrewery in Munich

by travelfrosch Updated Jul 21, 2013

Great Bavarian fare with excellent beer served in traditional clay mugs. Any form of payment accepted, so long as it's cash. Menus and service in Bavarian; German spoken on request. Tourists, foreign weirdos, and even Prussians are welcome -- but might be given a good-natured hard time, depending on the Kellnerin's mood.

UPDATE: Forschungsbrauerei is under new management, and perhaps even better than it was before. It's now open year-round, 7 days a week, has weekday lunch specials, and regular evening entertainment. Alas, the website is now monolingual... but then again, that's somehow fitting.

Open Monday - Saturday 11AM-11PM, Sundays and holidays 10AM-10PM.

Favorite Dish: My favorite meal is the 1/2 grillhendl (rotisserie chicken). It's always fresh and juicy. Note: because it's cooked fresh for you, it will take an hour from ordering. Order soup, salad, or some Obatzd'n (Bavarian cream cheese) while you're waiting for your chicken.

Beer now comes in multiple varieties: Longtime brewery mainstay Pilsissimus ("helles" lager) is available year-round, while flagship brew St. Jakobus Blonder Bock (sweet and very strong -- 7.5% alcohol!) is available most of the time (but not always). In addition, A Dunkles (dark) beer is now available year-round, and a summer lager is available from May to October. Finally, there is a special Weizenbock (strong wheat) and Christmas edition dark lager available in limited batches during the Christmas season. Beer is now available in half-liters as well as traditional liter mugs, but drinking and driving is still basically out of the question. Take the S-Bahn.

• Trains

• iaint's Profile Photo

Zum Augustiner: Atmosphere!

by iaint Written Jun 2, 2013

Dinner in Munich last night. We’d talked about it for ages, but never quite got there...

It was great. A typical “Bierhalle” & restaurant.

FC Bayern’s victory parade to celebrate the treble (Champions League, German league & cup) had just finished, so we opted for the sedate restaurant as compared with the rowdy beerhall!

Augustiner isn’t my favourite out of the city’s beers, but it was really food we were after.

I had the Biergartenpfann (2 kings of grilled sausage, a pork steak & French fries) and D had the Milzwurst (a kind of sauasage made from spleen). Uhuh. Actually, it was good and worth trying.

With a big salad and 3 drinks - €37. A beer was €3.85, which confirms that this involves downtown Munich prices.

All locals where we were sitting, but 2 or 3 tour groups came in as we ate. It’s a big place, so avoiding them should be easy!

Favorite Dish: I think I'd go for D's Milzwurst.

• klasher's Profile Photo

Ayingers Speis & Trank: The Best Beer!

by klasher Updated Apr 29, 2013

Ayinger Hof is across from the famous Hofbrauhaus. If you are looking for a better beer and less noise/people-duck into this place. Three weeks of travel in Belgium, Germany and Austria and this place won hands down for our beer. The food was delicious, probably the best traditional meal I have had in Germany.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

San Francisco: San Francisco

by mindcrime Written Feb 6, 2013

We walked on Theatinerstrasse early before 8.00am on a cold December morning. San Francisco café seemed like a shelter for us, at least we could drink something hot before we go out on the cold again.
    There are lots of coffees of course, I took a medium cappuccino (3,40e) but there are also chocolates, smoothies, teas, iced coffees (with the temperature down to zero that wasn’t actually a choice). If you are hungry there are sandwiches, muffins etc

The main room is very big and lucks of character but we didn’t care that much. There’s also free wi-fi.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Taklamakan: Taklamakan

by mindcrime Written Feb 6, 2013

This is a restaurant located opposite the train station, the fact that stays open till 5.00am (!!) makes it ideal for late night comers by train/plane and the numerous guests of near by hostels/hotels so although its nothing special it is great for a quick bite. It looks a like a typical Turkish fast food bar but in reality it is an Uyghur restaurant (Turkish speaking Chinese people that combine different food cultures, Asian and arabic), the names on the menu may look weird and unknown but the pictures will help to feel less confused :)

You can take away sandwich or doner style things or you can choose a table and have a proper lunch, we tried ququra soup (6e) which was tasty, donner kebap (4,5e), veggie doner (3,5e) and Uighur kebap platte (grill) that costs 10e but was served with rice and vegetables.

We washed them down with Weis beer (3e for a pint)

It’s open daily 8.30am-5.00am

Latest: Apr 21, 2014
Hotel Pension Am Siegestor
Latest: Mar 7, 2014

Instant Answers: Munich

Comments

Munich Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Munich locals.
Map of Munich