Zum Augustiner, Munich

by Sirvictor
  • iaint's Profile Photo

Zum Augustiner: Atmosphere!

by iaint Written Jun 2, 2013

Dinner in Munich last night. We’d talked about it for ages, but never quite got there...

It was great. A typical “Bierhalle” & restaurant.

FC Bayern’s victory parade to celebrate the treble (Champions League, German league & cup) had just finished, so we opted for the sedate restaurant as compared with the rowdy beerhall!

Augustiner isn’t my favourite out of the city’s beers, but it was really food we were after.

I had the Biergartenpfann (2 kings of grilled sausage, a pork steak & French fries) and D had the Milzwurst (a kind of sauasage made from spleen). Uhuh. Actually, it was good and worth trying.

With a big salad and 3 drinks - €37. A beer was €3.85, which confirms that this involves downtown Munich prices.

All locals where we were sitting, but 2 or 3 tour groups came in as we ate. It’s a big place, so avoiding them should be easy!

Favorite Dish: I think I'd go for D's Milzwurst.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Beer and Sausages

by akkipaa Written Apr 24, 2012

I have visitet many beer hallles and pub, for some reason this I count on of the best. Even if the place is huge and it can be fully growded. It has to do with service, waiters are very helpful, beer and food. But let's not forget the atmospherere, take stairs to up to beer halle, and you face one of the issues German in world famous.

IT's a place for locals and tourist, try to start a conversation with em, it is easy if you start from beer or BMW.

Favorite Dish: This is sposored byt Augustiner so take a one. There are Edelstoff hell, dunkel and weissbeers. My favorites are dark wheat beer so I would recommend to order unfiltered dunket weisbier, if you haven't ever done it, the flavor is extremely large! Hope thay have it.

To be the thing is beer and with beer I take something (in beer halles, places for dinner only are vise versa), here you can select e.g selection of sausages, rumpsteack or breaded pig.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Augustiner Restaurant: Atmosphere by the bucket load

by Maryimelda Written Mar 30, 2010

The Augustiner is part of a big complex complete with hotel and function facilities. The Bierhalle is huge and loaded with atmosphere. We stopped in for lunch and were really impressed. The place was packed both inside and out and this to me, is always a good sign.

Favorite Dish: I must be honest and say I can't exactly remember what we ate only that we enjoyed it. They had a big basket of pretzels on the table which we tucked into only to find that what you have eaten is counted and charged for. I've since learnt that this is common practise in some parts of Europe and it doesn't bother me at all.

Wonderful atmosphere Billy taking it all in.
    • Disabilities

• adyeast's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Come in from the rain!

by adyeast Written Nov 18, 2007

To finish off our day, we stopped in the Augustiner Restaurant for a bite to eat and a refreshing drink. We found a table and it was a while before our stiff waiter decided he would wait on us. We ordered our meals and beers as best we could in German. He didn't seem to happy with our abilities. The food was ok, nothing too impressive. The beer was quite good though.

Since we were there a while we were able to meet several different groups of people as they came and went from our table.

At the end of the night when we went to pay, our waiter then decided to write down what we had ordered. I'm not sure if this is how it's normally done or if he does this with only those who speak little German (he tried to charge us for an entree we didn't order and was double what we had ordered!). We aren't positive but we think that we ended up getting charged for more than we ordered...so it's best to keep track of what you're ordering and the price!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: A great experience

by Cristian_Uluru Written Sep 25, 2007

Augustiner Bierhalle is one of the ancient brewery of Munich (1328). Here you can taste the real Bavarian friedship and to eat and to drink the delicious Augustiner Beer in the typical long table. A great experience!!!

Favorite Dish: You must drink the Augustiner Beer. The restaurant has got a vast selection of Munich specialities like the rumpsteack, the sausages or the breaded pig.

Augustiner Bierhalle

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle/Augustinerbräuhaus: One of the best...

by flyingscot4 Updated Aug 25, 2007

First, there are three different Augustinerbräu sponsored bierhalls. The first in this pair of reviews is the Augustiner Bierhalle. This bierhalle is located in the pedestrian area between Karlsplatz and Marianplatz at Neuhauser Straße 27. While everyone should experience the Hofbräuhaus once, this is the place to return to. The food served in the downstairs restaurant is reasonable and excellent. The beer is inexpensive compared to a lot of the tourist places. The atmosphere is pure Bavarian. The biergarten is super with a very professional and friendly staff. Upstairs the actual bierhalle is lively and great fun.

The other, the Augustinerbräuhaus, is on Landsburgerstrasse. I believe that this is as close to the true (by definition) beer halls in the world. Like all of the Augustiner establishments, the food is great and the staff is helpful and professional. The atmosphere is beautiful but rustic Bavarian and wonderful. My only complaint about this bierhalle is the same in all of them: smoke. Wherever one finds beer, food, and people, one will always find smoker's in droves.

Conclusion: if you want to experience the real Munich, Augustiner is the word. For me, the Augustiner Bierhalle and the Augustinerbrauhäus are the best values for the money in Munich.

Favorite Dish: The schweinsbraten, sauerbraten, and schuefle at both places are all excellent. The do their own butchering and meatcutting. All of the sauces are perfectly subtle and not overpowering. A friend had the eisbein (pork shank) which was also excellent. The beer (Augustiner) is the best.

• MLW20's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Make sure to go up to the Beer Hall

by MLW20 Written May 7, 2007

Augustiner was one of the best beer halls we visited. The place is huge and was totally packed when we got there. Make sure to go up the stairs on the right to get to the beer hall or else you will just be in the restaurant.

What was great about Augustiner was that lots of locals were here as well as tourists. Some say that Augustiner is the best beer in Munich. I'd say it was one of my favorites but not the top one.

The atmosphere was great at Augustiner. The waiter was very helpful and we ended up talking with some locals for a while and stayed until the place closed.

Favorite Dish: The menu was a bit limited due to a holiday but I was pleasantly surprised by my dish. I had fish which came with mashed potatoes and french fries. Fish isn't something I usually order out but it was really good.

For dessert I had this soft, doughy cake that came with vanilla ice cream and a really sweet syrup. It was pretty interesting and worth trying.

Doughy dessert

• ayounker's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Bavarian Duck

by ayounker Written Feb 26, 2007

This a great traditional restaurant that I got directions to from some locals who eat there reguarly. Not nearly as touristy as the Hofbrauhaus and the food is much better. Prices were very inexpensive and the beer is as always in Bavaria, excellent. One of the cool things about this place is that it's set up like a Bierhalle, where there are long tables and you are seated next to strangers as you eat and drink. Since it's usually populated with locals, it's a great chance to meet people. I would also highly advise you to try the Bavarian Duck which came with Blau Kraut and a huge Potatoe dumpling (The size of a fist) on the side. When I got back home I tried in vain to replicate the recipe. I guess i'll just have to visit again! The Augustiner is located on Neuhauserstrasse, near central Munich.

Favorite Dish: Bavarian Duck.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Big

by traveloturc Written Aug 1, 2006

Groß means big is an understatement - a really gross one. You could walk around this restaurant and beer hall for days. Just when you think you've seen the last huge room with antlers mounted on the wall, you turn a corner and there's another one or even a hidden courtyard beer garden. Like Munich, the brew is historic and excellent, as is the local cuisine prepared with meat from its own butcher shop.

Augustiner Gro��gastst��tte

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: A stopping off point for bier and kaffee

by gordonilla Written Mar 11, 2006

We entered through the wrong doors, and as we did not want lunch we had to wlak through the restaurant area into the other side of the facility where we had bier and kaffee. We also had a few pretzels too.

Front Door Interior Lindsay, Maryann, Eddie, Kate and Matt

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: A great traditional restaurant

by globetrott Updated Feb 23, 2006

Augustiner is one of the most beautiful traditional inns in Munich. It is situated in the pedestrian area and has this wonderful " beergarden " in the back of the building.
    I was there in october, and it was a bit too cold to sit outside, but in summer it will be hard to get any of these tables.

Favorite Dish:
    Schweinsbraten with Knödel / Knoedel and a fresh beer.
    There are different kinds of Knödel / Knoedel in Bavaria:
    Semmelknödel - made of rolls
    Kartoffelknödel - made of potatoes

Augustiner in Munich
    • Seniors

• paoseo's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: It's always full of peole!!!!

by paoseo Written Feb 3, 2006

The first time I went there it was on the 31st. We tried to see if there was any space for two waiting for the midnight but it was a real "Mission impossible"!!
    But then I went back there other times and each time it was full of people eating, drinking beer and smoking.
    It was founded by Augustinian monks and the first time it was mentioned was 1328.
    It’s funny but you won’t find any nice and young waitressworking there but only middle aged women dressed as in the past; anothere funny thing is that it will be easier seeing young guys working there.
    They have the menu in all languages and don’t be upset if they look unpolite, it’s only that the place is always very full of people!!!!

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Augustiner-Grossgaststatte: Augustiner Bierhalle

by barryg23 Updated Nov 5, 2005

Great beer, friendly locals, cheap and delicious food. This was my favourite beer cellar in Munich. Seemed a little bit touristy at first but there were much more locals than tourists inside. We had planned to stop here for just one beer before going out for a meal but ended up staying most of the evening. Surprisingly for a beer hall, the food was very good value and the beer of course was excellent.

Dark beer, weissbier and light beer. Does it get a

• Big-Damian's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: Great BEER!!

by Big-Damian Written Sep 6, 2005

The surrounding was excellent, but it was very busy. And it took some time to get any service. Since it is the oldest beer hall in Munich and famous I got over the slow service. But beside that I enjoy the food very much, and the beer. But over all, it some thing you have to do once.

Favorite Dish: The BEER!!! The Goulash soup was great.

Beer hall

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Augustiner Bierhalle: I'll Have Another "Russ"

by Lacristina Updated Jul 22, 2005

An unexpected overnight stay in Munich - so I ask the hotel front desk to point me in the direction of the old part of town, where I might find a local restaurant and some good German beer.

The very first old-fashioned German-looking restaurant I came to was Augustiner. (Of course, it turns out it is extremely popular and well-known.)

Looked a bit touristy - the servers were even dressed in period-style clothes. But heck, that's what I'm here for!

I wanted to sit outside - but all the outdoor tables on the pedestrian street were filled. Walked inside to take a look.

Charming, cozy, with traditional dark wood. Quite lovely. But then I notice - this place is HUGE! I continue to walk back through room after room. Finally, I can see light - there's another patio all the way in the back!

I ask the host if there's a possibility of sitting with anyone (I know they don't want to give up a table for just one person). He finds a lovely German couple who've just sat down who agree to let me sit with them. He's a chemist - she's a pharmacist. They're in town for the opera.

And they introduce me to ein "Russ." It's a mixture of weissbier (wheat beer) and sparkling lemonade or soda. It sounds awful (to me), but it was wonderful.

Favorite Dish: I had a veal and chanterelles in a cream sauce - very rich. The dumplings could have been used as ballast they were so dense. The cooked, spiced red cabbage was overpowering!

In short - I LOVED IT! The Russ, too.

Augustiner's Hidden Back Patio