Oktoberfest, Munich

The Parade is about to begin
    by painterdave
  • klasher's Profile Photo

World's Biggest Kegger

by klasher Written Nov 4, 2007

From the Ferris Wheel

We went to Oktoberfest initially on a Thursday around 4 pm. There was not a seat to be found. So our first experience with Oktoberfest was walking from one food booth to another, sampling all of the deliciousness that is Oktoberfest.
    Our next attempt at getting seats was almost futile as well. 10 am in the Hofbrau tent got us some of the last seats available. It was apparently a German holiday. We had a blast. I highly recommend making reservations to a tent if you are planning your trip well in advance. If no reservations are made, get to the tents early!!

• dirtypierreontour's Profile Photo

100 Club held in the Aussie-Kiwi free camp

by dirtypierreontour Written Jun 8, 2007

Dirty Pierre doing the beer funnel at the 100 Club

An annual event in Munich Bavaria, Germany where thousands of Aussies and Kiwis gather with 7.8 million drunks from around the world to party like you wouldnt believe. I do a tshirt for the Downunder Drinking team.
    Plus I also put on a wet tshirt contest to entertain the travellers.
    Thats me doing a funnel at the 100 Club held on the friday before the Oktoberfest opens

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Welcome to the Wiesn

by grayfo Updated Apr 24, 2007

Oktoberfest - Postcard

The Munich Oktoberfest - known by the locals as the "Wiesn" - is a fortnight-long beer-drinker's paradise that attracts over seven million visitors, and this year (2007) will be the 174th. Each year over 5 million litres of beer is drank and over 200,000 pairs of pork sausages eaten - mostly in the "beer tents" put up by the traditional Munich breweries.

This year the festival runs from 22nd September to 7th October 2007.

• Theme Park Trips

• SailorRoar's Profile Photo

Crazy tabletop dancing and lots of beer

by SailorRoar Written Nov 29, 2006

Beer tent at Oktoberfest

If you love beer and a good party then the octoberfest is for you! I am not crazy about beer myself, but even so I found the Octoberfest interesting and a great experience. We arrived in the evening and in every beer tent (well they are more like houses) people where dancing on the tables and singing on great old classics. In one tent there was even a wedding ceremony taking place on the bans stands. A good tip is to get there early in the afternoon, if it could be a challenge to get indoor seating. Also if you are not the most outgoing person in the world, try to go together with some friends, the partying mood comes easier then ;) Ohh!! One last thing: the toilets have an enterance door and one exit door an watching the smooth flowing lines of people entering and exiting the toilet is quite amusing. It almost looks like a folkdance with all the people dressed up in their traditional costumes. This is another example of german excellence in engineering. It is extremely effective!!

• Ein Prosit, ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit...

by sabsi Written Oct 10, 2006

Oktoberfest Munich, Hofbr��u tent

I visited the famous Oktoberfest for the first time in 2006 and I expected to hate it. The thought of hundreds of thousands of drunk people didn't really sound appealing to me. We visited for an hour on a late sunday night and I was shocked. I have never seen as many drunk people on one spot before in my life than on the way from the S-Bahn stop to Theresienwiese. It was quite scary. We walked around the "Wiesn" for a while in the rain and just had a short look into the tents. While being sober I was more interested in the carousels than in the tents ;)

The day after we visited on the afternoon in order to be early enough to find space in one of the tents. Surprise Surprise! It was actually great fun. We stayed in the Hofbräu tent for a few hours and after the first litre of beer I enjoyed it very much there. Our table round was a very international affair with visitors from Australia, the UK, Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, and from all over Germany. Thomas was the only native Münchener at the table, if not in the whole tent ;) Together we had a lot of fun and a lot of beers, laughed a lot and sang along to the "Wiesn-Hits"..... And when I came out of the tent after 3 "Mass" I didn't even realise all the drunk people around me anymore. Maybe that's because I was one of them... ;)

We then walked around a bit, met friendly people and even took a turn on one of the carousels, one of the oldest on the Oktoberfest, the 80 year old Krinoline. The carousel is not really spectacular but it's old, and there's a traditional "Blaskapelle" playing live while the carousel is moving. Sooo nice. And even suitable for drunk people ;)

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest 2006

by Sunshine64 Written Oct 9, 2006

Horse-drawn Hacker-Pschorr kegs

One of the main reasons for our European Vacation in 2006 was to experience Oktoberfest. We only went for one day, but went for the whole day, and had a marvelous time. On the recommendation of others, we went early in the day. We started at the Hippodrom, then visited the Hacker-Pschorr tent, and ended up at Lowenbrau. The Hippodrom had a traditional band, as did Hacker-Pschorr - the Heaven of Bavaria.

I liked the beer at Hacker-Pschorr the best of the 3, and we had a delicious platter of snacks to soak some of it up. Hacker-Pschorr also seemed to be crowded with a lot of Germans (and less American and Australian tourists) which was made it feel more authentic.

The Hippodrom was the only tent we visited that served non-beer alcohol. But we stuck with the beer all day - well, except for the Coca Cola light after the beer tents closed.

I don't know if it was a result of the hour, but the music in the Lowenbrau tent had some traditional music mixed in with lots of sing-alongs. And I loved everyone standing on the benches singing "Country Roads", "You Can Leave Your Hat On", and "Let it Be", among others. I tried to make a list the next day, but I don't know if I can remember them all.

• codrutz's Profile Photo

OKTOBERFEST !!

by codrutz Updated Aug 21, 2006

This is obvious, but I thought not to forget to mention .. go to Munich during Oktoberfest, which is in September actually (!) and you will have an unforgettable experience in beer 'tasting', singing with Germans, Italians and other beer lovers and fun people :) I don't have any picture as I went to the tents with no objects that could loose in the crowd ;) After first 2 liters of beer try the rollercoasters. After two more liters just say enough, eat a cracker and take it easy :)

• dentremo's Profile Photo

Finding a Seat at Oktoberfest

by dentremo Written Dec 13, 2005

You need to plan ahead for Oktoberfest (Wiesn) or you will find yourself either standing up all day or shut out of the action. Here are a few tips:

1. Lodging: Find a friend in Munich who will put you up.

2. Get there early!!!! Tents are open from 1200-2300) On the weekends you need to be there at 12:00, or you will not get in unless there is some really crappy weather. During the week, the earlier in the afternoon you arrive, the better - after 16.00 or 17.00, it gets real hard (Although I have had some luck around 21.00-22.00, when many of the people who have been in there all day come crawling out). Another option is bribing the guy at one of the back entrances. A few years back, we gave the guy 15 Marks (8 Euros) to let seven of us in. The only problem is that you then have to find a seat (you will NOT be served if you are standing up).

3. If you take a train (espiecially redional trains) to Munich, try to find a train that starts where you are departing from, otherwise the train will be packed with people - many of them already drunk - by the time you board. When I rode in from Regensburg, we were packed in like rush hour on the subway in NYC. The crowds are not bad for the ride home, which is good considering you will need a seat in which to pass out. (See my picture taken from the train - no, its not a U-bahn picture.)

4. Eat a big breakfast or lunch before drinking. For the obvious reason, plus food is really expensive in the tents.

5. If you are a heavy drinker, start drinking beforehand. Ein Mass Bier will probably be over 7 euros next year (2006), so a few beforehand will help your wallet. (But don't go overboard. My picture of passed out people on the lawn was taken around 1300!!)

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Beer central

by alisonr Written Nov 19, 2005

Go Henry!

Oktoberfest is one of those things that you have heard so much about from your friends, but if you are like me, you are not really sure exactly what to expect. I had in my mind, a bunch of pissed people sitting around, leaning on increadibly oversized mugs. Oh no, how wrong could I be!!

It is like a huge amuzement park, with scary rides, all lit up like Luna Park! There are what felt like hundreds of beer halls!! All the locals are there, with their leiderhoosen and traditional dress, eating little biscuit things with names on them, and dancing and singing in the beer halls!! Amazing night!!

• al_mary's Profile Photo

by al_mary Updated Oct 26, 2005

Oktoberfest is now celebrated in
    September, because the chilly
    Bavarian October winds blowing
    from the Alps, can surprise you
    with an early cold and snow.
    The 16 day festival always starts
    on a Saturday in September and
    ends on the 1st Sunday in October ......

• Luca80's Profile Photo

by Luca80 Written Oct 8, 2005

Paulaner and Lowenbrau towers

It's terrific!!! Everyone musto go to Oktoberfest once in his life, it's a unique and terrific experience! Beer, music, and the atmosphere you can find there you won't find anywhere in the world! Tip: go without your girl/boyfriend if u really want to enjoy the party!!!

• Singles
    • Trains

• KieronP's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest 2005

by KieronP Written Sep 25, 2005

The Entrance

I finally managed to visit Munich during Oktoberfest and I had a great time. We arrived around 4pm without any reservations and found a seat in a tent. It took a while to settle as it was very busy and everyone around us was already drunk! But it did not take long for us to catch them up and we were soon chatting away to everyone around us (Despite the language differences) and around 9pm everone was up on the benches singing along with the band.
    I was shocked by just how big the festival actually is and there is much more to do besides getting drunk (Or after!). There are even some amusement rides to see how much you really want to keep all that beer inside!
    I am glad I finally made it and will definitely go again someday.

• Study Abroad

• Hosell's Profile Photo

MY OWN OKTOBERFEST!

by Hosell Updated Apr 4, 2005

OKTOBERFEST, is the world's largest and most frequented fair,over 6 million international visitors come to Munich to have fun on this amazing festival.It is starts from Sept. till beguinning of October.

We arrived to Munich on Sept. 30 and I was very glad because I'll have the chance to see the Oktoberfest!.We finished our walked tour in the old town at 7,30 p.m and the whole group had a table booked in one of most famous restaurants in the city,the "Hofbräuhaus" at 8,00 o'clock so we had "just" half hour off.I asked our tour guide where was located the Octoberfest from the place where we were on that moment,and he said that it was a bit far away,if i want to go to see it,I needed to take a taxi or the subway.

I felt frustrated!! being in Munich on September and don't having the chance to see the Oktoberfeast,really I don't wanted to miss that dinner because I didn't had to pay nothing,all meals in the whole trip was including,so you can imagine how I was feeling.I decided then to go again someday to Munich on that time to be there a full week at least and see the Oktoberfestt!!! :-)

Anyway I HAD MY OWN OKTOBERFEST at Hofbräuhaus as you can see on that picture,really it was a great and very funny night out!! And I can say that German Beers are the best that I ever had.

• smschley's Profile Photo

Octoberfest

by smschley Updated Mar 18, 2005

Oktoberfest is one of the world's largest parties! This festival began in 1810 with the wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. There was a horse race to honor the wedding at an open field at the gates of the city. In 1811, an Agricultural Fair joined the race, and though the race disappeared in 1938, the Agricultural Fair still runs every three years. In 1818, the first merry-go-round and a set of swings were set up and small booths began to supply beer. In 1896 the first beer tents were run and to this day,

Munich breweries supply the staple of the event, German beer! Many even brew special "Oktoberfest beer" just for the fair. The statistics are mind boggling: 6 million liters of beer, 500,000 broiled chickens (hendel, you must try this), at least as many pork sausages, 60 oxen roasted on a giant rotating spit, tons of fish, wursts and ham hocks, thousands of pounds of mandelin (almonds covered in melted sugar), 11 huge beer tents for different brands and each holds up to 6,000 people plus a live band, 40 smaller beer, wine and coffee houses. Most of the tables are reserved way in advance, but if you get there early and are persistent, you might just find a spot.

There were four in our group and thanks to Eduardo we always found a spot at a table every night. An experience we will never forget. The site of everyone in the room eating and drinking and just having a good time was amazing. I’ve never seen so much beer drunk and not a sign of any fighting.

At the foot of the Bavaria statue, the huge Oktoberfest grounds also provide carousels, roller coasters and all the spectacular fun of the fair for the enjoyment and excitement of visitors of all ages. .200 carnival attractions and 55 rides, 7,000 participants in the opening day parade, six million people partying - "all crammed into the most famous and fun-filled 16 days on earth, Oktoberfest

• Jtodd's Profile Photo

by Jtodd Written Jan 30, 2005

A must-do experience! I was fortunate to attend with some German friends and they had the inside scoop - which was helpful. We went on the first Sunday in 2003. It was a very hot day and we proceeded to rehydrate with bier for about 12 hours. I think there were 550,000 people there that day.

Instant Answers: Munich