Oktoberfest, Munich

The Parade is about to begin
    by painterdave
  • Oktoberfest
    by Maryimelda
  • Oktoberfest
    by Maryimelda
  • Jtodd's Profile Photo

by Jtodd Written Jan 30, 2005

A must-do experience! I was fortunate to attend with some German friends and they had the inside scoop - which was helpful. We went on the first Sunday in 2003. It was a very hot day and we proceeded to rehydrate with bier for about 12 hours. I think there were 550,000 people there that day.

• sswagner's Profile Photo

If you are in the area.............

by sswagner Updated Jan 12, 2005
    A beer tent

Many places have started a tradition of Oktoberfest, yet this is THE Oktoberfest. Actually, it begins in September. The location is a fairground area that is a short trip away from the Hauptbahnhof via the U-bahn. Of course, the U-bahn will be crowded, but your turn to ride is coming.

There is no admission fee to access the fairgrounds. Once you are there, you will see a huge array of carnival type attractions and games, food stalls, and of course those beer tents. We stopped by on our final night before flying back to the states. People from all over the world were there enjoying the food, entertainment and the beer. Besides the beer, I recommend getting some sausage and those peanuts that come in the cone with the Bavarian flag pattern on it.

This is definitely one very large party where everyone is invited!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

by deeper_blue Updated Nov 29, 2004

The legendary Oktoberfest is the largest beer festival in the world. It actually starts in late September running for 2 weeks. You must try out a few of the different tents and soak up the spirit of the festival, (Note you can not beer if you don't have a table) also try the many rides outside

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

The Beer Hall

by ChadSteve1975 Written Apr 11, 2004

Utopia

For those in the know they know to go to Munich in September for Oktoberfest.

With 14 or so beer halls to choose from visitors have their job cut out for them to reach all the beer halls in 1 day. Best idea is to keep your goals to say 3 or 4 halls before just taking plant in your favourite.

Hopfbrau House my the hall of choice for myself and our group.

• matseb's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest - the biggest party in the galaxy

by matseb Written Feb 9, 2004

... Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit!!!

Party animals all over the world come here in mid September 'til the first week of Oktober. Bavarians call it "Wies'n".
    Several large tens (each filled with about 10,000 guests) host the guest. All have a small band which play regional and international party music. It's really crowded at the weekends so you want to take a seat in the early afternoon... It's not a tourist thing; lots of Germans and locals come here, too.

Come between September 18th and. Oktober 3rd, 2004!!!

• yashiko's Profile Photo

Theresienwiese (Oktoberfest)

by yashiko Updated Dec 19, 2003

At the end off september and the beginning off oktober, you find a huge beerfestival held in München. We were there at the openingweekend to see the procession in the center off the city. Lots off people wearing traditional clothing, breweries with their carriages off decorated beerbarrels walking along, lott's off flowers, beautiful scenes from the olddays and about the great days off Bavaria. This procession ends at the Theresienwiese where they make a last round and greet the people. It's here you can easily make pictures off the lovely costumes the people are wearing.
    On the other hand there are a lott off beertents where you can drink beer by the liters. The tents are huge and look like real houses or buildings, but they are just temporary. They are decorated verry beautifull like heaven or like a real Alpenhouses or with a huge lion in front.
    And off course all off them got bands inside who play drinking music and good singalongs.
    But don't forget to take a walk around the Wiesen first (before you are totaly wasted) and take a look at the attractions and stands with "Sweethearts" as I call them.
    For more info and pictures go to the official website off the Wiesen. Here you can get an idea off the atmosphere over there.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest! What a gaudi!

by Bigs Updated Oct 12, 2003

Das schoenste was Fuesse tun koennen ist Baumeln!

I had to get 32 years old before I got to this big event. Always thought that it's nothing special really....Now that I was there I have to say it's something special, not to compare with other fairgrounds in Germany.

First thing is that it so huge... There are hundreds of carroussels and about 20 beer tents or so on the Theresienwiese.

Second thing is that the beer is delicious, so one liter in a "Maß" is not really a big problem!!!

The third very special is the mixture of people. There are a ot of Bavarian people that wearing costumes, "Lederhosen" and "Dirndl", even young goodlooking guys. What a sight, ladies! :) And there are a lot of international guests and "whole" Italy is there too.

I really had a good time there, even if I didn't make it into a tent. They were all full at about 10.30 in the morning! It has been the last weekend of the Oktoberfest. Anyway, it had a great atmosphere and I think that I have to go there again next year!

Added some pics of the Oktoberfest in my travelogues, if you want to see more impressions.

• Oktoberfest is coming!

by wildstrawberries Written Sep 8, 2003

The city is gearing up for this yearly event - be sure to book your tickets early if you intend to join millions of beer-guzzing -pretzel-loving people in giant tentages. This year there are 14 tents to choose from!

After quenching your thirst, you can head out for the big-scale funfair and rides - they beat those rides at Wiener-prater hands down!

• Theme Park Trips

• marzy's Profile Photo

craziness

by marzy Written Jul 21, 2003

Oktoberfest is a coming together of people from around the world to try good beer, mingle with other cultures and get really really pissed as the english would say. The beer "tents" are actually quite like the beer gardens of the city filled with up to 10,000 of your closest friends. However, reserve seats or get there early because if you aren't sitting you will not get served.

• School Holidays

• bhorton's Profile Photo

by bhorton Written Nov 7, 2002

Schottenhammel tent

More info about the Wiesn:you should show up around 4pm if you want to get in a tent, but you may get lucky anyway. On sunny days there are mini-beer gardens outside, but seating is nearly impossible, but at least possible... Contrary what I heard, I found the Fest to be vastly dominated by Germans/locals. The tourists were the ones walking around the perimeter because they are bewildered not being able to get a seat! Also: 1 Maß beer (33.4 oz) is $6.70. Very good price for the amount!

• bhorton's Profile Photo

by bhorton Written Nov 7, 2002

partied w/these girls!

Oktoberfest is what gives Munich it´s fame. Considering it mainly consists of drinking lots of beer and mounds of food, you´ll either love it or hate it. I reccommend the Schottenhammel tent. It blows all the others out of the water (for party goers, that is). Young people go here.
    Roughly 95% or more of the tables in the tents are reserved, so it is understandably very difficult to find a spot for 2 to sit, let alone a group. I should note you have to be seated at a table in order to order a beer, no exceptions. While I had loads of fun at Oktoberfest, it was because I knew people at tables, or because my buddy and I scrounged our way in. In other words, don´t expect to just show up and start partying! And lastly, the Oktoberfest shuts down at 11pm, and entrance to tents is generally stopped at 5pm.

• einokj's Profile Photo

by einokj Written Oct 15, 2002

Well. If you are here during Oktoberfest, you should visit there. Most likely you are here during Oktoberfest, if you are ever here. Surely, the place is packed of people, the prices are higher than normally but what the heck. The mood is splendid. For warning, the beer is stronger than normal beer, around 6%. The first year, I didn't knew that. Therefore, I didn't have any idea how I got home then. The second year was better. I even managed to get to the rollercoaster. My favourite tent is armbrustsomething.

• kimtina's Profile Photo

by kimtina Written Sep 12, 2002

for the first time,Beeing find that I am not good drinker was in Oktoberfest 2000..:)

Hummm,I heared from my colleague in Munich that my ex-company has already ordered the tables for the Oktoberfest 2002 for their employees,
    ... 2002.7.9

• diver-x's Profile Photo

For the first trip, my fiance...

by diver-x Written Sep 8, 2002

For the first trip, my fiance & I had heard that the Hofbrauhaus was too touristy, but we decided we couldn't go to Munich and not see it. We had a great time!

Also, on the second trip, my Mom, cousin and I arrived for the first weekend of Oktoberfest, so we did what we could there. It was extremely crowded and hard to get a seat anywhere, but we managed.
    The idea in the beer halls is to make friends with the complete strangers sitting next to you. We met some very interesting people and had some fascinating, beer-fueled conversations!

The only thing is that they close at midnight. But I guess that the night could end very badly if they stayed open later.

• AndreasK's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest takes place in...

by AndreasK Written Sep 7, 2002

Oktoberfest takes place in September! Despite its name, Oktoberfest starts in September and spills into the first days of October. In 2001 Oktoberfest starts 22nd September and lasts until 7th October. Book your hotel at least three months in advance for Oktoberfest.

Instant Answers: Munich