Oktoberfest, Munich

The Parade is about to begin
    by painterdave
  • Oktoberfest
    by Maryimelda
  • Oktoberfest
    by Maryimelda
  • smschley's Profile Photo

Octoberfest

by smschley Updated Mar 18, 2005

Oktoberfest is one of the world's largest parties! This festival began in 1810 with the wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. There was a horse race to honor the wedding at an open field at the gates of the city. In 1811, an Agricultural Fair joined the race, and though the race disappeared in 1938, the Agricultural Fair still runs every three years. In 1818, the first merry-go-round and a set of swings were set up and small booths began to supply beer. In 1896 the first beer tents were run and to this day,

Munich breweries supply the staple of the event, German beer! Many even brew special "Oktoberfest beer" just for the fair. The statistics are mind boggling: 6 million liters of beer, 500,000 broiled chickens (hendel, you must try this), at least as many pork sausages, 60 oxen roasted on a giant rotating spit, tons of fish, wursts and ham hocks, thousands of pounds of mandelin (almonds covered in melted sugar), 11 huge beer tents for different brands and each holds up to 6,000 people plus a live band, 40 smaller beer, wine and coffee houses. Most of the tables are reserved way in advance, but if you get there early and are persistent, you might just find a spot.

There were four in our group and thanks to Eduardo we always found a spot at a table every night. An experience we will never forget. The site of everyone in the room eating and drinking and just having a good time was amazing. I’ve never seen so much beer drunk and not a sign of any fighting.

At the foot of the Bavaria statue, the huge Oktoberfest grounds also provide carousels, roller coasters and all the spectacular fun of the fair for the enjoyment and excitement of visitors of all ages. .200 carnival attractions and 55 rides, 7,000 participants in the opening day parade, six million people partying - "all crammed into the most famous and fun-filled 16 days on earth, Oktoberfest

• yashiko's Profile Photo

Theresienwiese (Oktoberfest)

by yashiko Updated Dec 19, 2003

At the end off september and the beginning off oktober, you find a huge beerfestival held in München. We were there at the openingweekend to see the procession in the center off the city. Lots off people wearing traditional clothing, breweries with their carriages off decorated beerbarrels walking along, lott's off flowers, beautiful scenes from the olddays and about the great days off Bavaria. This procession ends at the Theresienwiese where they make a last round and greet the people. It's here you can easily make pictures off the lovely costumes the people are wearing.
    On the other hand there are a lott off beertents where you can drink beer by the liters. The tents are huge and look like real houses or buildings, but they are just temporary. They are decorated verry beautifull like heaven or like a real Alpenhouses or with a huge lion in front.
    And off course all off them got bands inside who play drinking music and good singalongs.
    But don't forget to take a walk around the Wiesen first (before you are totaly wasted) and take a look at the attractions and stands with "Sweethearts" as I call them.
    For more info and pictures go to the official website off the Wiesen. Here you can get an idea off the atmosphere over there.

• Festivals

• Ein Prosit, ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit...

by sabsi Written Oct 10, 2006

Oktoberfest Munich, Hofbr��u tent

I visited the famous Oktoberfest for the first time in 2006 and I expected to hate it. The thought of hundreds of thousands of drunk people didn't really sound appealing to me. We visited for an hour on a late sunday night and I was shocked. I have never seen as many drunk people on one spot before in my life than on the way from the S-Bahn stop to Theresienwiese. It was quite scary. We walked around the "Wiesn" for a while in the rain and just had a short look into the tents. While being sober I was more interested in the carousels than in the tents ;)

The day after we visited on the afternoon in order to be early enough to find space in one of the tents. Surprise Surprise! It was actually great fun. We stayed in the Hofbräu tent for a few hours and after the first litre of beer I enjoyed it very much there. Our table round was a very international affair with visitors from Australia, the UK, Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, and from all over Germany. Thomas was the only native Münchener at the table, if not in the whole tent ;) Together we had a lot of fun and a lot of beers, laughed a lot and sang along to the "Wiesn-Hits"..... And when I came out of the tent after 3 "Mass" I didn't even realise all the drunk people around me anymore. Maybe that's because I was one of them... ;)

We then walked around a bit, met friendly people and even took a turn on one of the carousels, one of the oldest on the Oktoberfest, the 80 year old Krinoline. The carousel is not really spectacular but it's old, and there's a traditional "Blaskapelle" playing live while the carousel is moving. Sooo nice. And even suitable for drunk people ;)

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest 2006

by Sunshine64 Written Oct 9, 2006

Horse-drawn Hacker-Pschorr kegs

One of the main reasons for our European Vacation in 2006 was to experience Oktoberfest. We only went for one day, but went for the whole day, and had a marvelous time. On the recommendation of others, we went early in the day. We started at the Hippodrom, then visited the Hacker-Pschorr tent, and ended up at Lowenbrau. The Hippodrom had a traditional band, as did Hacker-Pschorr - the Heaven of Bavaria.

I liked the beer at Hacker-Pschorr the best of the 3, and we had a delicious platter of snacks to soak some of it up. Hacker-Pschorr also seemed to be crowded with a lot of Germans (and less American and Australian tourists) which was made it feel more authentic.

The Hippodrom was the only tent we visited that served non-beer alcohol. But we stuck with the beer all day - well, except for the Coca Cola light after the beer tents closed.

I don't know if it was a result of the hour, but the music in the Lowenbrau tent had some traditional music mixed in with lots of sing-alongs. And I loved everyone standing on the benches singing "Country Roads", "You Can Leave Your Hat On", and "Let it Be", among others. I tried to make a list the next day, but I don't know if I can remember them all.

• Hosell's Profile Photo

MY OWN OKTOBERFEST!

by Hosell Updated Apr 4, 2005

OKTOBERFEST, is the world's largest and most frequented fair,over 6 million international visitors come to Munich to have fun on this amazing festival.It is starts from Sept. till beguinning of October.

We arrived to Munich on Sept. 30 and I was very glad because I'll have the chance to see the Oktoberfest!.We finished our walked tour in the old town at 7,30 p.m and the whole group had a table booked in one of most famous restaurants in the city,the "Hofbräuhaus" at 8,00 o'clock so we had "just" half hour off.I asked our tour guide where was located the Octoberfest from the place where we were on that moment,and he said that it was a bit far away,if i want to go to see it,I needed to take a taxi or the subway.

I felt frustrated!! being in Munich on September and don't having the chance to see the Oktoberfeast,really I don't wanted to miss that dinner because I didn't had to pay nothing,all meals in the whole trip was including,so you can imagine how I was feeling.I decided then to go again someday to Munich on that time to be there a full week at least and see the Oktoberfestt!!! :-)

Anyway I HAD MY OWN OKTOBERFEST at Hofbräuhaus as you can see on that picture,really it was a great and very funny night out!! And I can say that German Beers are the best that I ever had.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

The Beer Hall

by ChadSteve1975 Written Apr 11, 2004

Utopia

For those in the know they know to go to Munich in September for Oktoberfest.

With 14 or so beer halls to choose from visitors have their job cut out for them to reach all the beer halls in 1 day. Best idea is to keep your goals to say 3 or 4 halls before just taking plant in your favourite.

Hopfbrau House my the hall of choice for myself and our group.

• matseb's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest - the biggest party in the galaxy

by matseb Written Feb 9, 2004

... Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit!!!

Party animals all over the world come here in mid September 'til the first week of Oktober. Bavarians call it "Wies'n".
    Several large tens (each filled with about 10,000 guests) host the guest. All have a small band which play regional and international party music. It's really crowded at the weekends so you want to take a seat in the early afternoon... It's not a tourist thing; lots of Germans and locals come here, too.

Come between September 18th and. Oktober 3rd, 2004!!!

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Welcome to the Wiesn

by grayfo Updated Apr 24, 2007

Oktoberfest - Postcard

The Munich Oktoberfest - known by the locals as the "Wiesn" - is a fortnight-long beer-drinker's paradise that attracts over seven million visitors, and this year (2007) will be the 174th. Each year over 5 million litres of beer is drank and over 200,000 pairs of pork sausages eaten - mostly in the "beer tents" put up by the traditional Munich breweries.

This year the festival runs from 22nd September to 7th October 2007.

• Theme Park Trips

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Be prepared !!!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Aug 6, 2010

Make a reservation, if not you won't get in !!!!

Ok, I'm gonna be honest with this tip, since nowhere on VT this was said !!!!!

First of all in order to get into a tent at Oktoberfest YOU MUST HAVE A RESERVATION for whatever tent you want to get into !!!!!!!
    no where did I read or did anyone put this in there tip or is it written in any tour books that talk about Oktoberfest !!!! So what happened to me......I make my way to a tent just to be told that if I don't have a reservation I can't get in !!!!!!

Tip # 2 can you get into the tent without a reservation ????? Yes you can, but you must be there when the doors open at 9:30 a.m. once it gets full you don't get in without a reservation !!!!!!!

Tip # 3 .....Give the guy at the door a 20 Euro tip and he'll let you in !!!!!!!! That's how I got in !!!!!!!!

Tip # 4 ... Once inside a tent, the only way to get a beer is you have to be seated......HOW IN THE HECK are you gonna find a seat among 5,000 people NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tip # 5.... we offered a couple of guys to buy them a round if they would order us some beers for us.....again 9 Euro's a stein times 3 for the new found friend's and 4 for us that's 63 Euro's for 1 round of beers......that's $89 US (@1.40 US for a Euro) for a round of beers !!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDING !!!!!

Tip # 6 god forbid you don't tip the ladies a decent amount for the round of beers she brings you !!!!!! ..... You won't see her again the rest of the night..... Tipped the lady 10 Euro's and she looked like if I insulted her !!!!!!!!! So the round of beers ran me a cool Benjamin for those who don't know what a Benjamin is .... it's a $100 US DOLLAR BILL !!!!!!!!

Is it fun insided yes, loud, crowded, but since it get's so expensive the fun gets cut in half.

Next time I decide to come to Munich I will come at a date that there is no Oktoberfest !!! All the prices come down and hotels don't charge as much !!!!!

Great that I did this but won't do it again, too much of a hassle to have a little bit of fun !!!!!!

• kmohandas's Profile Photo

OCTOBER FESTIVAL- GREATEST BEER SHOW ON EARTH

by kmohandas Updated Sep 25, 2009

October Festival held in Bavarian capital is the biggest beer festival in the world. It is held at Munich every year from end September to early October. The 2009 Munich Beer Festival was inagurated on 19 th September and shall end on 4th October. So, please don't miss the festival this year.
    This magnificent festival was started by Prince Ludwig on 12th October’1810. Earlier horse riding competition was also a part of the festival. From 1960 onwards, this became a global festival. 12 Rockets are fired into the air to mark the beginning of the festival. There will be large number of beer tents, food tents, souvenir shops etc. at the festival ground.
    Special beer, which is darker and stronger than normal beer is brewed for this festival. The Mayor of Munich city inaugurates the festival tapping the first barrel of beer. The Mayor says “Ozapft is” which means it is tapped. Then there will be music everywhere. Only breweries from Munich are allowed to sell beer here. Beer is served in glass mugs of 1 liter capacity specially made for this occasion. The cost of beer and souvenirs have gone up slightly. Now one mug of beer costs Euro 8.50/-(Mugs to be returned). Souveir mugs are priced arond Euro 30/-.Grilled chicken/fish are the favorite dish during the festival.
    This festival is attended by over 7 million people from all over the world.. Many of the Germans coming for this festival wear the traditional dress. Traditional dress for men are named “Sennerhut”. Traditional women’s’ dress is called “Dimdl”.

• hethbill's Profile Photo

The deal with the beer tents

by hethbill Written Nov 16, 2007

There are about 15 beer tents to choose from at Oktoberfest, and of those a few really unique ones (like the Hippodrome). They each have their own character and style - I'd recommend reading up on the tents before you go:
    so that you have an idea.

-The Hippodrome was really swanky, but also smaller and hard to get into.
    -Fischer-Vroni smelled like fish. I couldn't even get past the door.
    -Spaten Schottenhamel did us well for the 12 hours we spent in it one day
    -one of the Lowenbrau tents gave a us a really fun evening our first night.

They all have music, beer and food all day long. The music gets better and more consistent as the day/evening goes on. They open at 10am, they stop serving beer around 10:30 or so (later on weekends)

The party really starts in the evening, but if you don't have a reservation at a tent, it may be impossible to get in in the evening. Our group staked a table at 11am, and we sort of rotated in and out all day, with someone always there to save the spot.

If a tent gets really crowded, then you might not be allowed back to your seat even if you just leave the section to go pee. We found that flashing some cleavage worked. (men, don't try that, please!)

On the weekends the entire tents get so crowded they are completely closed to newcomers.

Moral of the story - get there early if you don't have a reservation. Make sure someone saves your spot if you want to leave and come back.

• Trains

• bhorton's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest

by bhorton Written Nov 7, 2002

partied w/these girls!

Oktoberfest is what gives Munich it´s fame. Considering it mainly consists of drinking lots of beer and mounds of food, you´ll either love it or hate it. I reccommend the Schottenhammel tent. It blows all the others out of the water (for party goers, that is). Young people go here.
    Roughly 95% or more of the tables in the tents are reserved, so it is understandably very difficult to find a spot for 2 to sit, let alone a group. I should note you have to be seated at a table in order to order a beer, no exceptions. While I had loads of fun at Oktoberfest, it was because I knew people at tables, or because my buddy and I scrounged our way in. In other words, don´t expect to just show up and start partying! And lastly, the Oktoberfest shuts down at 11pm, and entrance to tents is generally stopped at 5pm.

• bhorton's Profile Photo

Oktoberfest

by bhorton Written Nov 7, 2002

Schottenhammel tent

More info about the Wiesn:you should show up around 4pm if you want to get in a tent, but you may get lucky anyway. On sunny days there are mini-beer gardens outside, but seating is nearly impossible, but at least possible... Contrary what I heard, I found the Fest to be vastly dominated by Germans/locals. The tourists were the ones walking around the perimeter because they are bewildered not being able to get a seat! Also: 1 Maß beer (33.4 oz) is $6.70. Very good price for the amount!

• codrutz's Profile Photo

OKTOBERFEST !!

by codrutz Updated Aug 21, 2006

This is obvious, but I thought not to forget to mention .. go to Munich during Oktoberfest, which is in September actually (!) and you will have an unforgettable experience in beer 'tasting', singing with Germans, Italians and other beer lovers and fun people :) I don't have any picture as I went to the tents with no objects that could loose in the crowd ;) After first 2 liters of beer try the rollercoasters. After two more liters just say enough, eat a cracker and take it easy :)

• hethbill's Profile Photo

How about those waitresses?

by hethbill Written Nov 16, 2007

Our Spaten waitress- she rocked.

One of the impressive things about Oktoberfest, other than 8000 drunk people singing in unison is watching the waitresses carry the beer steins. Those steins are 1 liter, made of heavy glass. I could just barely pick my own up to drink - and the waitresses regularly carry 10 or 12 at a time!!

The record I hear is 14. 7 in each hand, 6 wrapped around the hand and 1 on top, balancing on the tops of the 6 handles.

Oh yeah - and don't get in their way. They will push you, or perhaps even punch. It gets extra rowdy in the evenings, and the put up with a lot of crap.

• Trains