Glockenspiel at the New Town Hall, Munich

Know about this?

• View of the Glockenspiel from St. Peters's Tower
    View of the Glockenspiel from St....
    by SafariArtist
  • Glockenspiel at the New Town Hall
    by zitronella
  • Glockenspiel at the New Town Hall
    by roadnottaken
  • Glockenspiel " Eye View" St. Peter's Tower

by SafariArtist Updated Nov 20, 2010

View of the Glockenspiel from St. Peters's Tower

Glockenspiel has it's own tower that now takes you by elevator to the top. Wonderful view but nothing compared with the view from St. Peter's tower of the Glockenspiel Clock in action.

Unique Suggestions: A magnificent view with a walk of the vertical rather than horizontal kind, up the 306 or so steps of St Peter’s Church tower just by Marienplatz. Well worth the view of the city and of the Glockenspiel. Watched the 11 am show from the ground first. Was not too impressed found it boring and crowded.
    Only by luck I had climbed to the St. Peter's Tower and was there when the 12:PM show began. Only two other people on the tower with me. It was a perfect moment to watch a piece of history told by this beautiful device.
    Completely different perspective than the ground tourist attraction I had felt about it an hour before.
    The Glockenspiel re-enacts two events of Munich’s history: a tournament held in 1568 to celebrate a royal marriage and Schäfflertanz (Cooper’s Dance), which dates back to the 17th century then celebrating the passing of the plague.

The 43 bells of the clock, weighing about 7,000 kilos) play a lullabythe duration of the performance.
    I was there on 11/17/10 and was told there was only an 11AM show. I was luckily surprised to see the 12pm show.

The 43 bells view of the glockenspiel and the city ....Wow!! Worth the 1.50 Eurp anytime.
    The climb took me 8 minutes. The average is 5 minutes the man selling the tickets said.
    No one else in my family was brave enough to try. i am in my 40s, female and not in shape but to watch my husband and daughter of 23 back out made me the more determined. We only live once. i may not ever get back there....climb it...the elevator in the new town square is fun too but nothing to compare with the view of the Glockenspiel in Action!!

The stairs are stair but there are little areas to rest on the way if you need to. However there isn't and elevator down. But down is a piece of cake :)

Fun Alternatives: There is plenty of shopping and things to do around Marie Platz if you don't want to climb St. Peter's Tower at least take the elevator up in the New Town hall (the building with the clock). The view and lay out of the city are beautiful surprises. Just a walk away or next underground stop is The Residenz. Wonderful Castle, opera house, museum. We took the shot tour and it was only a portion of the 230 rooms there are to see in the home alone. That was about a two hour walk. You could spend days in this site alone. There enough to do in any part of Maria Platz for a day, half a day or even a week. The toy museum is right there by the clock too.

• Photography

• jtbro86's Profile Photo

Not worth it

by jtbro86 Updated Mar 14, 2007

Everyone who visits Munich will want to see this. Once you do, you will be highly disappointed. I was expecting more than puppets going in circles. I was expecting a lot more. Leave before it is over and you'll beat the crowd to any of the good pubs or restaurants around the city center.

Unique Suggestions: If you insist on seeing it, I suggest waiting until the very last second. You'll cry if you wait long for this.

And I would suggest having kids who will enjoy it. Perhaps they might like it, I couldn't tell you from my experience.

Fun Alternatives: Get off the beaten path and try the side shops. Good shopping, especially for futbol gear.

• Singles

• tyerks's Profile Photo

umm... that's it?

by tyerks Written Oct 10, 2003

glockenspiel

Almost all the tourists who go to Munich want to see the famous Glockenspiel. My sister and I had heard about it, and on the tour we did, they said it was overrated, but we decided to go see it anyways, just to see for ourselves. Well, there was QUITE the crowd gathered around Marienplatz for the show, all with cameras poised and ready. We stayed for about 5 minutes of the bore, and then we had to leave. It's not at all interesting. However, if you feel the need to see for yourself, that's cool. We did. People tell you about tourist traps all the time, but sometimes, you don't know until you go. Who knows, maybe you, too, will get excited when one knight falls.

Unique Suggestions: Get in front of the crowd of people watching the Glockenspiel, turn around, and watch them watch it. This would prove to be much more amusing.

• eitakorlando's Profile Photo

Glockenspiel. Everyone watches...

by eitakorlando Written Aug 26, 2002

Glockenspiel. Everyone watches this at least once. Just do it and move on. Unless you have a telephoto lens on your camera, I think that this is difficult to truly enjoy. It is so high up. I do want do add that people truly love this. I think it is worth seeing once -- it is possible that I've just seen it one too many times. Oh well. Definitely see to see what all the fuss is about. Also, visit Ludwig's tomb. You gotta -- he is the man in Bavaria.

• roadnottaken's Profile Photo

The town's best-known and...

by roadnottaken Written Aug 26, 2002

The town's best-known and most-visited 'tourist trap' is, of course, the Glockenspiel on the facade of the Rathaus. Visitors flock here to witness the musical displays (the most popular of which seems to be at 11 in the morning). Apparently, pickpockets have been known to snatch the wallets of tourists that are concentrated on the show. Since the glockenspiel is on the central square (Marienplatz), it is very hard to miss so you will probably see it many times during your visit in Munich.

• Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo

Actually this is not a tourist...

by Luis_Alberto Written Aug 24, 2002

Actually this is not a tourist trap, but many visitors to this city, go to see the Carillon on the tower of the New Townhall. Every hour on the hour, its dancing figurines delight the onlookers, with its synchronize movements.

• marzy's Profile Photo

what a bore

by marzy Written Jul 21, 2003

glockenschpiel

this clock tower does not live up to its fame. its famous dancing figures are 11 minutes of my life i would love to have back.

• I´ve been wondering all my...

by zitronella Written Aug 26, 2002

I´ve been wondering all my life what could be the attraction of the chimes up in the town hall - find out yourself!

Instant Answers: Munich

Comments

Other Tourist Traps in Munich