By car, Munich

Know about this? Rate It!

Coming into the north sector
    by BruceDunning
    Delays all over the city
    Autobahn has backups
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

Travelling with (young) kids.

by Jerelis Written Apr 27, 2013

Are you nervous about taking your baby or child on a plane trip? You aren't alone, most parents are nervous about it. We have moved with the kids to Alkmaar by car this holiday and drove some distances by car on when we were there and we learned a few things that hopefully will help you.

General:
    Bring books, old favourite toys and new surprise toys. Do remember that balls are not a good idea as they can end up anywhere! Our best buys were definitely books, especially sticker books are great! They can peel the stickers off, are glossy, have thick pages to turn easy, have bright colours and come in endless subjects. They're a nice break from the other books your child might be tired of, too. Put aside fears of setting poor eating habits, and bring on the snacks! We told Iris: “Welcome to the world of boredom eating."

Car:
    Toy bars meant for stroller use are a big help in the car, as they often feature toys plus a snack cup, and are big and easy for you to grab from the front seat for refills. During the car trip it’s always a good idea to play a game and sing some songs. It sounds rather easy, but it does work!

Finally:
    We only have one last statement! Just do it! Don’t be afraid that it might go wrong. We have learned this, because we have been travelling with Iris from the beginning. She was only 6 weeks young when we had our first short vacation and stayed in a hotel. Iris has been used to it rather fast and (maybe because of it) has always been an easy kid to get along with.

• Motorcycle

• S.VTM's Profile Photo

driving to Neuschwanstein Castle

by S.VTM Written Jul 18, 2012

salzburg and fussen in totally different directions

I was in Munich past March ,and went to Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich about 140 Km and on the highway you will reach your destination within hour

Another day for Salzburg 150Km from Munich

have a save trip ,,

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Drive in the City if You Wish Stress

by BruceDunning Written Jun 24, 2012

Autobahn has backups

This is one of the worst cities I have been in for the traffic backup at all places, and severe delays on the autobahn besides in the main center areas. We were so frustrated after the first couple of hours, that we parked the vehicle and took the subway for the next 7 days.
    Besides the sheer number of vehicles on the streets, the parking sucks, and they have zones outside of the main center whereby you are not allowed to park without a sticker.
    We were on the other side of the highway for one traffic backup on the north side of the city A92 that the traffic was backed up for 20 MILES-yes-not an exaggeration

• Gassing up the rental car on Sunday

by UPYooper Written Jun 10, 2011

Lot's of German gas stations close Sunday afternoon, so if you are returning a car on Sunday be careful. At the Munich airport there is a Tankstelle (gas station) open on Sunday at the Hallbergmoos exit just before the airport. After you get off the Autobahn, take a left and go about a kilometer and left at the 1st round-a-bout. The OMV Tankstelle is on the left. This trip I also found the stations on the Autobahn were open.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Driving Bavaria

by Donna_in_India Written Jan 23, 2008

Along the Romantic Road

We rented a car to drive from Munich along the aptly named Romantic Road to Oberammeragau, Hohenschwangau, and Garmisch- Partenkirchen. The drive was so nice. The roads were great – clearly marked.

What was unbelievable was that I was driving 120, 130, 140 kph and cars were flying by us like we were standing still. Anyway the views were wonderful – lots of green grass, mountains, cute houses, and cows.

I would definitely recommend driving to the castles and further. It made a nice break from trains and planes!

• nipper1's Profile Photo

travelling by car

by nipper1 Written Jan 16, 2006

Weissenburg Tower and Church

is fun in Germany, let it roll and bring it on. we startet in Hamburg and had a long trip south to the austrian border. and why not stop in Munich so we thought.
    we had one of our breaks in Weissenburg, north of Munich. small town, amazing architecture and my first real bavaria beer and bavarian sausage, called weiswurst, with mustard, lots of sweet mustard. I think with out that mustard the sausage is actually tastless, no real flavour.
    more later

• Architecture

• globetrott's Profile Photo

share the streets with the horses

by globetrott Written Sep 3, 2004

especially during Oktoberfest it is the very best, to stay away with your private car from the centre of Munich, as you will have to share the streets with horse-carriages, drawn by 6 horses, like shown on my picture.
    These horses are well trained to walk next to the car-trafic, and each horse will also be accompanied by an attendant, walking beside the horse, but sometimes things get out of hands....

These kind of transportations are made quite often, as a kind of advertisment for the breweries and also for the inns outside of Oktoberfest, and they will stop there for a while in front of the inn (like here in Schwantalerstrasse) and all the cars parked there cannot go out of their parking...

• Beer Tasting
    • Eco-Tourism

• acemj's Profile Photo

Taxis

by acemj Updated Aug 28, 2004

Munich taxis are pretty reliable so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off. The meters in the cream-colored Mercedes or BMWs start at 2.60 Euros and go up by about 1.20 Euros for each kilometer driven. You can hail a cab on the street or call for pickup, although there is a small extra charge for ordering a cab by phone.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Renting a car

by Martin_S. Written Oct 11, 2003
    Renault Megane, decent rented car

This is the Renault Megane that we rented for the trip. Although it is a good handling car and fairly powerful for its size, it was very uncomfortable to sit in. That is unusual as most French cars are very good to the drivers. But if we put the car on a scale of 1-10, we would have to give it a 8. It took us from Munich, through Austria to Ferrara, Italy, to Croatia, through Slovenia, back to Austria and then Germany, lots of kilometers.

• barbipez's Profile Photo

pay before you get in your car

by barbipez Written Oct 4, 2003

I found out that for paid parking in munich, you drove into a parking lot after punching for your ticket that shows when you arrive. do not leave the ticket in your car. take it with you. on the way out, of say a mall or even just public parking, there's a machine you stick your card into and pay there. then you can get in you car, go to the exit, stick the ticket in and it shows that you've paid and will then let you out.
    i've never had to do it that way before. so thought this might be useful to post here!
    happy traveling!

• Sarita76's Profile Photo

Is that a car???

by Sarita76 Written Mar 16, 2003

Munich - A limo in Sendlinger Strasse

I don't know why but it seems I come across a strange car every time I'm in a new city!!! So, this time I had the pleasure to see my first limousine and, believe me, it was very very looooooong... :))

• Bigs's Profile Photo

From mainland Europe I would...

by Bigs Written Sep 12, 2002

From mainland Europe I would recommend a car, there are some motorways around Munich!!!
    If you are coming from somewhere else you will land at the Franz-Josef-Strauss Airport close to the city!
    By tube, car or bus!

• andreslo2000's Profile Photo

Plane, train and car. I prefer...

by andreslo2000 Written Aug 26, 2002

Plane, train and car. I prefer car for it's very near to Ljubljana, there aren't tolls on German highways, and, yes, I'm to lazy to travel with trains as I used to do when I was younger.
    S-bahn, U-bahn, bus, tram

• lil_traveller's Profile Photo

soooo SMART

by lil_traveller Written Mar 15, 2004

This is one of my fave cars coz its soo cute and I love it. We JUST are beginning to get these cars in Canada.

Instant Answers: Munich