Safety Tips in Munich

Main entry point off Marienplatz
    Glockenspiel show draws people
    by BruceDunning
    Festival events in the square

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Munich

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Do not order Weisswurst after noon !

by globetrott Written Aug 31, 2004

Weisswurst is one of the most famous specialities of Bavarian cuisine.
    It should be prepared freshly each day and you may recognize a tourist from outside of Bavaria instantly, when he expects to be able to order a Weisswurst after noon....

Mostly the sausage is served in a bowl of hot water, you take it out, and put it on your plate .
    There are 2 ways to eat it :

1) cut the skin longwise and peel of the skin off, dip it in the sweat mustard (another great bavarian speciality)

2)cut off a bit of the skin at one end and try to get out the weisswurst without eating the skin

On my pic : a detail of the facade of Asamhouse in Sendlingerstrasse 62 - and when you click on my picture, you will see the person in the centre is in a kind of danger, too

• Architecture

• diageva's Profile Photo

Bicycles

by diageva Updated Mar 30, 2004

Achtung!!! Warning!!! you must be careful while you have a walk in the streets ... because you can be in the bicycle way ...

The year I went to Munich I did understand enought german to know that .... I was insult for being walking in bicycle way ...
    I am very sorry for doing that ... but ... as I am from a place where there are no bicycle ways ... I did forget sometimes ... !!!!
    but I was glad to understand the insults :)) It was a real profe that I was progresing my german :))

• acemj's Profile Photo

Speak fast

by acemj Updated Aug 25, 2004

The pay phones are expensive in Munich. If you absolutely must use one, make sure you have enough change and be prepared to cut out any unnecessary small talk or you're pockets will be empty pretty fast!

Most people in Munich don't spend a lot of time on the phone (even cell phones) because they pay per call as opposed to the monthly service plans that I was used to in the States.

• jorgec25's Profile Photo

Undercover Customs Officers

by jorgec25 Written Aug 29, 2008

Be aware of undercover customs officers in munich's airport. I had a connection flight 30 minutes after my arriving at munich airport, coming from lisbon, an was stopped by a customs officer when all i had was my backpack, since i had just stepped out of an airplane, and was on my way to the next flight.

• vityaz's Profile Photo

Very clean and safe

by vityaz Written Apr 24, 2012

I visited for a few days this month, and was very surprised at how clean the city is and how safe it is as well. Maybe im just a bit jaded, but the town in Northern Ireland where I live has a big problem with drugs and antisocial behaviour, none of which I saw in Munich. In addition, I saw more litter the first day back here than I did the whole time I was in Munich. I only saw one broken bottle and one patch of dog mess the whole time I was in Munich. I normally see more than that here in my estate alone!!! Im not naive and I am sure there is crime in Munich. I just didnt see any while I was there. No drunken hooligans, no crowds of thugs!

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Christian Or Pagan? Choose The Right Door

by Kathrin_E Written Aug 9, 2008

Check your conscience and choose the correct entrance: Catholic Christian or Pagan?

This is a tongue-in-cheek tip about a funny coincidence: The entrance to the Generalvikariat , the administration of the archbishopry München-Freising, is adjacent to a jewellery store named "Heiden" (pagans).

Location: Marienhof/Schrammerstraße

• Religious Travel

• acemj's Profile Photo

Be close to shelter

by acemj Updated Aug 25, 2004

I took this picture from underneath the Propyläen at Königsplatz where I was seeking shelter from a sudden rain. It wasn't a big storm or anything, but it was enough to get me pretty wet. I found that this was pretty common in Munich, at least in the summer time, so be aware of this as you walk around. Take note of sudden clouds or shifts in temperature and be sure you're close to some shelter!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Parking Sucks

by BruceDunning Written Jun 24, 2012

This is a very bad situation if you have a car. Parking in the center near Marienplatz can make you go broke before your time. Parking outside just a few hundred meters from the center begins zone permits. That means you need a permit to park on the streets, and it/they are reserved for locals only; not tourist vehicles. Spaces are very precious and hard to find.
    We were in south zone near Sendlinger and we could not park within 6 blocks or more of our apartment. Only further away can a person park on the street, and then the search for a spot is on.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Crowds are "Packed'

by BruceDunning Written Jun 24, 2012

The crowds can be overbearing for the most part. Especially bad is in the Marienplatz square during the Glockenspiel show; which can bring an easy thousand to see the site. Other places in the center also get crowded. While we were here in May it was not as bad as during the peak tourism season.

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

Scary experience

by Bavavia Written Jun 15, 2009

If you are on subway, pay attention if you notice everyone suddenly getting off and you dont speak German. This happend to me on way to dachau, suddenly train out of service and people ran off, but i didnt realize why and i was stuck on train as it went backwards to who knows where, it was scary , i was only one in train and i had no idea if they knew i was there or where the train was going, i think it was out of service and i was stuck on it. Pretty scary. i rang emergency button and they took train back to next stop so i could get off. I dont know if they would have realized i was there or not..

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Scientology Recruitment?

by TempNomad Written Aug 3, 2005

Scientologists beware! You might be slightly offended...

Okay, so it's not really a typical trap, and if you get a good tour out of it, wonderful! However, this guy caught my eye as we stood in the center of Marienplatz contemplating our next move. He had a bright red shirt on with FREE TOUR printed on it, and he was very charismatic, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable (as far as I could tell). However, after listening in for a minute, if became interesting to me that scientology was mentioned as the alternative.

He was talking about how there was a lot of bad blood between the catholic church and the protestant church, and that being from Ireland, he understood that. However, he's a scientologist, so he has risen above all that. Dramatic pause. And then he went on with his tour.

I know I'm a cynic, but I can't help thinking this is the Munich version of the "Stressed out? Let us help you!" booths in 42nd Street subway stations in NYC. Those crazy scientologists. They're always finding helpful ways you get you on board!

We saw the same guy a couple hours later, and his 35 person group had dwindled to about 8 people....but some were the same tourists. He was good, I think. But just be aware that it's probably a recruiting tool.

• Religious Travel

• when visiting the old...

by zitronella Written Aug 26, 2002

when visiting the old Valentin-Musäum (Isartor), a homage to Munichs burlesqe actor and famous cabaret artiste, mind that you only will have free access when you are aged 99 with your parents at your side - otherwise you will have to pay 99 Pfennig - don´t now how they handle this in Euro ...???

• Although Munich is famous for...

by Felipe42 Written Aug 26, 2002

Although Munich is famous for its excellent beers, you should never ever try the infamous 'Bierschnitte' which is offered in some restaurants. It tastes really terrible. Do not mistake for 'Milchschnitte', a popular dessert in Germany.

• Taxis, don't puke in them!

by PROFFATE Updated Aug 26, 2004

When in Munich, don't get sick in a taxi. A normal ride of a block or two that would normally cost 6 euros ends up costing 60 euros. (And the drivers get quite rude at that point)
    At this point of the night I was incoherent and quite funny, usually your friends end up paying the fare and you bounce off sidewalks and buildings the rest of the way home.

• sjvessey's Profile Photo

Don't eat the skin on those white sausages

by sjvessey Updated Jun 9, 2004

It's rather tough with the look of plastic about it. Heaven only knows what it's made of. But you really aren't supposed to eat it, that's for sure. So remember, when someone forces you to eat weisswurst - and they surely will - you should cut the sausage lengthways and just peel that nasty skin away.

Of course, if you happen to be eating the things with someone you don't like very much, and they don't know that you shouldn't eat the skin, you can choose NOT to tell them and chortle quietly to yourself as they force themselves to swallow while effusively praising the merits of the weisswurst to their host...

Munich Hotels

Mirabell City Munich Hotel
Latest: Mar 2, 2014
Bavaria Hotel

Instant Answers: Munich

Comments

Munich Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Munich locals.
Map of Munich