Nürnberg Restaurants

Eis Cafe
    by balhannah
    This sign was hanging on their wall
    by TomInGermany
    My meal
    by TomInGermany

Most Recent Restaurants in Nürnberg

• Pizzeria Romantica: Cute Little Italian Place

by tracey2013 Written Oct 2, 2013

Nice little place out in the suburbs of Nurnberg (on Furtherstrasse a couple of blocks near the Ubahn station Maximillianstrasse U2). It is also located near the Kaufland department store on the same road. There pizza was definitely woodfired and their pasta dishes are really good. The owner and his wife speak Italian, German and English. It's cozy inside with just a few tables but it has a little beergarten out in front. Prices are very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: Any of their pizzas

• Women's Travel

• antistar's Profile Photo

Eiscafe Pinguin: Eiscafe Pinguin

by antistar Updated Sep 3, 2013

My friend Joey surprised me with a call on my mobile to tell me he was in town with his girlfriend. I met them at the Eiscafe Pinguin, which turned out to be a good choice as it was both good and right next to my hotel. Located in the crowded shopping square of Lugwigsplatz, crammed in among Nuremberg's other obsession: Coffee Bars, the cafe was busy and bustling with people. The coffee was really good, and the tomato and mozzarella salad was excellent and fresh. I felt seriously charged up for an afternoon of activities after eating there.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

EIS CAFE: ICE-CREAM!

by balhannah Written Jul 4, 2013

Eis Cafe

I came across an excellent Ice-cream shop in the "old city"
    It was the Eis Café located on Ludwigstrasse near the Spittaltor.
    The shop was busy, no wonder why, just have a look at the selection of ice-creams - well, I should say Gelato! I like both so there wasn't any problem..............
    The big problem was choosing flavours and whether to have a cone or a Banana Split!

• School Holidays

• Soulmining's Profile Photo

Orient restaurant. Der Express: No murder in Gostenhof...just good food.

by Soulmining Written Jul 2, 2013

From the street you wouldn´t believe that you are about to enter the world of Agatha Christie. However once inside you find that is exactly where you are. The interior is set up like a carriage from the world famous train. Infact you could belive that Poirot could be at the next table....The service is fast and super friendly and the food is great. Lebanese / Arabic kitchen...Hot tip..The Falafal here are fantastic, which is proven by the roaring street trade that they do...Take a trip round the surrounding area and visit some of the other local offerings..."Palmengarten", "Koch und Kellner", "La Locanda" just to name a few....Dont just get stuck in the city center with the typical tourist traps.

Favorite Dish: The Falafal here are brilliant. All the ingredients are so fresh...The bread, sauces & crisp salads...just perfect.The Lamb is also excellent and well worth the wait. Also an ideal eating destination for any vegans out there.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Everywhere: Nuremberger sausages

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 22, 2013

Sausages with friends.

While in Nuremberg you have to try the wonderful Nuremberg sausages. You order by number. Minimum is usually six and most places serve them with either potato salad, grated horseraddish or sauerkraut. I ate them three times on a two night stay and I don't even like sausages. Delicious washed down with cold beer.

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Schanzenbräu: Beer, Nurenberg and a Christmas Market

by TomInGermany Written Dec 15, 2012

Their main entrance

If you live in Germany or just visiting around Christmas you really need to check out the Christmas Market in Nurenberg (Nürnberg). I’m not a huge fan of the Christmas Markets (don’t tell my wife) but this one was worth a visit. I really enjoyed the Nurenberger 3-sausage sandwich. If you do decide to visit the city, no matter the time of year, I highly suggest you try Schanzenbräu Brewery restaurant (called Schankwirtschaft). It is located a couple of miles from the center of the city but worth going a little out of your way.

The brewery brewed their beer in 2004 on Bärenschanz Street which is where the brewery got its name (Schanzen) and its logo (Bären = Bears). The restaurant is very small (their web site says it can hold 70 people) and when we were there at lunch time on a Friday the clientele consisted of men how looked like they came there on a regular basis. Most of them were drinking beer with their meals and all of the ones that were drinking were drinking their Hell (light/pale) beer. The restaurant also brews a Red beer but I didn’t see anyone trying it so I went with the Hell. It wasn’t bad.

The food was very simple and the menu was limited to several boards on the walls with the items written in chalk. I can’t remember what I ordered but it consisted of two thick links of cold wurst with mustard on the side. It was okay. My wife, on the other hand, got the cheese spätzle (noodles) dish which was excellent.

Favorite Dish: Can't go wrong with the cheese noodles.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Café d’Azur: Wonderful

by iaint Written Dec 3, 2012

cosy...

We stumbled upon this wee cafe in Nürnberg, just below the castle.

Prime tourist area, but this place is French. Provençale even. The blues and yellows of the Côte d’Azur amid the grey & white of a Bavarian December.

Warm, friendly atmosphere. Good food & service.

Gemütlich.

Favorite Dish: I had a baguette with goat's cheese, tomatoes & olives, plus cappuccino with amaretto in it. Delicious.

D had tomatos & orange soup, plus a coffee with calvados in it...

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Zum Spiessgesellen: Have the spaetzle and cheese

by windoweb Written Oct 23, 2012

Mike and I both had the spaetzle and cheese here. The food was tasty and the meal was filling. The atmosphere was charming. We had a seat on the wall side looking out towards the windows.

Favorite Dish: Spaetzle and cheese!!

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Hausbrauerei Altstadthof: Albrecht Durer and Beer

by TomInGermany Written Jul 12, 2012
    So you know what to look for

You could spend a day touring in the center of Nürnberg exploring the local castle, beautiful churches, museums and other interesting sites of the city. I suggest after you finish exploring the city north of the river (sites include the castle and the Albrecht Durer House; I suggest a nice meal at the Hausbrauerei Altstadthof. My wife and I ate in their tap room which was fairly small but quaint. It is interesting to watch the employees as they go about doing their duties. While we were there we watched our waitress fill over 20 glasses of beer for a group of people. She had the process down to an art, moving the glasses in and out of the stream of beer coming out of the tap. Anyway, the establishment also has a restaurant but we didn’t check it out but I’m sure it was nice. If I remember correctly (I need to write these reviews right after I visit) their menu was limited but the food was good. The waitress was very nice. She allowed me to practice my German even though I really butcher it.

Their claim to fame is their Red Beer (rotbier) so that was the first beer I got. It wasn’t bad with a sort of a Bock beer flavor to it. They brew several other beers as well as a number of other alcoholic beverages. I also tried their Black Beer which I thought was to malty.

If you are interested in seeing more of my posts on brewery restaurants please check out my Germany travel page.

Favorite Dish: Try their Red Beer.

• Maria250's Profile Photo

Lederer Kulturbrauerei: Famous beer garden

by Maria250 Updated Aug 9, 2011

source: www.l-kb.de/

Haven't been there, for my understanding yet, Lederer Kulturbrauerei is a famous place for beer and soccer fans, and generally for Nuremberg's visitors. There for I like to quote John's review at http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6097/?view=beerfly&ba=JohnW

Lederer Brewery is now a large beer garden. The interior bars and adjoining rooms still have the brewing equipment and a steam engine on show and make for interesting viewing. The outside beer garden under trees is probably the largest in the Nuremberg area, and would be very busy in the evenings during fine weather. There are 4 beers on tap, the Kroko Special Keller beer being the house beer, and which is served in a stylish heavy tall slim jug. The beer is rather darker than the usual keller beers of the area, and I found it a decent easy to drink beer, though not outstanding, but great on a warm summers day sat outside. There are also other Lederer beers and the usual Tucher beers on tap. Lederer is still brewing its own beers. Their beers are now brewed at the Tucher brewery in Furth, but these premises keep up the name and tradition. Lederer beers can also be tried at various bars in Nuremberg, just look for the Crocodile sign hanging outside a bar.

To get to the Lederer Kulturbrauerei beer garden, take the Metro from the main railway station to the Barenschanz stop (travelling westwards) takes about 5-8 minutes - as you come out of the Metro station take the Sielstrasse exit, and at the top of the stairs look right, and you can see the beer garden entrance about 50 yards along Sielstrasse.

• Trains

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

Kon Tiki: South Pacific athmosphere

by MichaelFalk1969 Updated Jul 8, 2011

The menu is not really polynesian but rather an asian-fusion mix (tasty), but the ambience is very nice and inspired by South Pacific and South-East-Asian cultural influences. The Kon-Tiki cocktail menu has my absolute recommendation.

Favorite Dish: mixed starter platter !

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Street vendors: Kartoffelpuffe - my ultimate German soul food!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Jun 5, 2011

Kartoffelpuffe under construction!

Oh my word, I love kartoffelpuffe!!!

To those who have not yet been fortunate enough to have been initiated in this delicacy, kartoffelpuffe are potato pancakes. Robust and rustic first cousins to the Swiss rosti, they are made of grated potato and are fried in oil to produce a piping hot, crispy golden taste of heaven.

Kartoffelpuffe are traditionally served with apple sauce in a typically German combination of flavours. I am generally unimpressed by the prospect of combining fruit with savoury food, and so I prefer mine plain with just a sprinkle of salt, or (German culinary purists should now look away and skip to the next paragraph for fear of being offended) dipped in tomato ketchup!

Kartoffelpuffe are the ideal street food if you're attending Christkindlmarkt, when they not only provide scrumptious ballast in preparation for a happy evening's sampling of the local brew, but also have the added virtue of warming frozen fingers back to life! Just beware of those drips of piping hot oil!!!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Markets and street vendors: Let them eat cake (of gargantuan proportions)!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Jun 1, 2011

Cakes of every description!

The German capacity to devour cake is matched only perhaps by their southern cousins in Austria, and 'kafe und kuchen' (coffee and cake) is a national institution that is best described as almost a religious observance.

This all comes as somewhat of a mystery to me, as - given the choice - I would always opt for something savoury (see my tip on my love affair with kartoffelpuffe above), but as I have married into a family of unrepentent sweet toothivores, I have come to realise that the larger, the sweeter and the creamier the cake, the better!

Like other German towns, Nuernberg offers a bewildering selection of cakes in cafes and from market stalls. My small son was particularly taken by the geometry of these particular cakes, whose rounded form and similarity to aspects of the female form led him to refer to them as 'Boobie cakes' (hence the smirk!)

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Shops and street vendors: Lebkuchen - this is what Christmas tastes like!

by CatherineReichardt Updated May 31, 2011

A bewildering variety of decorated lebkuchen

Lebkuchen could well be my favourite biscuits in the whole world. There is never a bad time of the year to eat a lebkuchen, but I am particularly fond of them over the festive season, when their spicy gingerbreadiness and snow white icing seem the very embodiment of Christmas spirit.

There is something very medieval about lebkuchen's combination of flavours, and I suspect that the recipe has remained largely unchanged since the Middle Ages. The combination of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and other spices epitomises the taste of the age, which provided the incentive for enterprising merchants to venture far afield in search of spice-rich fragrant East. In other words, without lebkuchen, the New World might never have been discovered ... ;)

But enough of spuriously interpreting social history, and on with the discussion at hand. The range of lebkuchen on offer at the Christkindlmarkt is absolutely bewildering and irresistable to both eye and stomach. I am used to plain white or chocolate-coated lebkuchen (the latter constituting cultural Bolshevism in my book), and it was quite a revelation to see highly coloured variations on a theme in the form of Father Christmases, winter scenes and almost every other charming Christmas cliche imaginable. Elsewhere in the Children's Christmas Market, it is even possible for children to decorate their own lebkuchen (see my tip under "Things to Do').

If you are visiting Christkindlmarkt, a selection of these biscuits would make a perfect gift to bring home with you - which of course presupposes that you have the self-descipline to resist their charms en route!

• leics's Profile Photo

Browns Coffee Lounge: Drinks and coffee and cake and snacks 2

by leics Updated Apr 4, 2011

Much-needed weissbier!

I put these two reviews together because, quite frankly, you could sit at an outside table in either Browns or the Black Bean...they are directly opposite each other on Ludwigsplatz and their outside tables are intermingled.

But I had my first Nurnburg drink (a looong Weissbier and very, very welcome!) at Browns. And also had several coffees and apfelschorlen there on a very hot evening, just to rehydrate myself after a long day's wandering.

They serve all types of drinks, of course, and cakes and snacks and ice-creams.

Both cafes were always crowded, so I assume that local people (there were plenty using them) consider them to be of a good standard and reasonable price.

I certainly did.

And having a fountain nearby was nice too! :-)

• Singles
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Nürnberg

Comments

Nürnberg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nürnberg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nürnberg sightseeing.