The "new" city hall between Hauptmarkt and Sebalduskirche was built in 1616 – 1622, shortly before the 30 Year War. It is "new" because it substituted an older one from the 13th century. The architecture is mostly late Renaissance but shows already some elements of the then ultra-modern early baroque style.
Its appearance is in accordance with Nürnberg’s position as one of the two wealthiest, most powerful free imperial cities within the Holy Roman Empire (Augsburg being the other one). The magistrate of such an important city wanted and needed a representative, impressive seat.
The city’s coat of arms, a golden eagle with a crowned woman’s head, is depicted above the portal.
The Old CIty Hall is a palace looking Renaissance building where you can today visit the old medieval torture chambers (Lochgefängnisse). This was closed in autumn when we were there, which was probably just as good since six-year-olds have a vivid imagination.
The city hall of Nürnberg consists of different parts in distinctive architectural styles. The oldest is in Baroque style and was built between 1616 and 1622, most parts reflect the style of Italian Renaissance. Inside you can find a courtroom, a jail and of course numerous offices.
The old Gothic Rathaus was built in 1332-40, but once the city of Nuremberg grew richer, a new part of the town hall by Jakob Wolff was built between 1616 and 1622. It features three grand doorways decorated with heraldic motifs (on the picture). The building itself is quite plain at street level but look upwards and you will notice some nice details.
town hall. The oldest part of the town hall complex is the great ceremonial hall (1332–40), at one time the largest (L, 40 m) secular hall north of the Alps. In 1520, Albrecht Dürer and W. Pirckheimer established the iconography for the painting of the walls. The end of the Thirty Year’s War was celebrated here with a Peace Banquet in 1649. Beneath the great hall are dungeons which testify to the nature of medieval justice and can be visited.
In the years 1616–22, the town hall was extended by Jakob Wolff. His plan for a palazzo-like building reflects the influence of the Italian Renaissance. In the facade, the regularity of the window zones contrasts with the three Baroque portals, the central one of which bears the imperial eagle and the city’s two coats of arms. The entire complex was destroyed by bombs in 1945. Reconstruction, 1956–62. Replicas of some of the medieval imperial regalia may be seen in the 'Ehrenhalle' (ground floor).
Hotel Victoria Nürnberg
1 Review and 132 Opinions An exceptional location directly across the street from the Main Hauptbahnhof. Very historic-looking...
Sheraton Hotel Carlton Nürnberg
2 Reviews and 90 Opinions Not far from the station, outside the city walls, at first sight, this hotel may seems a bit remote....
Holiday Inn Nurnberg City Centre Nürnberg
1 Review and 156 Opinions The Hotel is very good located, as u go out and turn left, shopping streets, cafes, and historical...