Frauenkirche - Church of Our Lady, Nürnberg

4.5 out of 5 stars 26 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • animated clock
    animated clock
    by Mikebond
  • Frauenkirche - Church of Our Lady
    by brendareed
  • Frauenkirche - Church of Our Lady
    by brendareed
  • doug48's Profile Photo

    frauenkirche

    by doug48 Updated Jul 27, 2009

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    the frauenkirche, ( church of our lady) was built in the 14 th century. at noon each day mechanical figures act out the story of the golden bull of 1356. inside the church is the 1440 tucher alter. this church is located on the hauptmarkt in the center of old nuremberg. during the years of the third reich the hauptmarkt was called adolf hitler platz. it was here that hitler reviewed his political organizations during the nuremberg party rallies. to see before and after pictures of the hauptmarkt visit www.thirdreichruins.com

    frauenkirche
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 6, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On the east side of the square in Nuremberg is the Gothic Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady, 1352-61; R.C.).
    Above the porch with its rich sculptural decoration is the "Männleinlaufen," an old clock with mechanical figures (the seven Electors pacing round the Emperor Charles IV - a reference to the promulgation of the Golden Bull in 1356; performances daily at noon). Notable features of the interior are the Tucher Altar (c. 1440) and two handsome monuments by Adam Krafft.

    Frauenkirche Frauenkirche Frauenkirche Frauenkirche Frauenkirche
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • antistar's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche

    by antistar Written Jun 21, 2005

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Church of Our Lady was originally built between 1352 and 1361 on the main market square. It is tiny, but stands out because of its small size. It also has a mechanical clock that chimes at noon each day and shows seven Electors paying homage to Emperor Karl IV.

    Frauenkirche, Nuremberg

    Was this review helpful?

  • Travelchili's Profile Photo

    Church of Our Lady

    by Travelchili Written Nov 30, 2003

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Churh of Our lady or Frauenkirche is the oldest church of its kind in Franconia. It was built between 1352-1361 and the money for it came from the Emperor Karl IV. Since 1816 it has been the city's main Catholic church. Peter Parler, the one who was responsible for building the Frauenkirche was the master builder also for the Prague's Cathedral.

    Frauenkirche
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • leics's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche

    by leics Written Aug 15, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This rather small 14th century church has a fascinating history.

    This area was once swampy and unpleasant. It was the Jewish quarter of Medieval Nunrberg. When the two parts of the town on either side of the River Pegnitz were joined together, it became an important area.

    Charles lV ordered that the Jews should be forced to leave so that a new marketplace could be built. In 1349, 562 Jews who did not leave were burnt to death.

    In 1360, on the site of the synagogue, the Frauenkirche was built. It was originally intended to house the crown jewels and holy relics, so it was designed almost as a fortress. The Emperor changed his mind.....jewels and relics were taken elsewhere...but the plan of the church remained the same. It was designed by Peter Parler, the man who also designed St Vitus' Cathedral in Prague.

    Frauenkirche is quite small and foursquare, very badly damaged in the Second World War but so beautifully restored so that one would not know there had been damage.

    The artworks (altars, carvings, memorials, paintings) which it had held were kept safely underground during the war, so they have returned to their original places. And you can also see some Medieval wall-paintings which have been uncovered during restoration.

    The entrance arch has a most beautiful and complex decoration: the figures you see are original, and date from the building of the church.

    Inside, above the entrance, is a gallery (the Michaelschor) intended for the Emperor to attend services without having to mix with those 'beneath' him.

    A church well worth exploring.

    Superb Medieval entrance carvings Exterior Interior Michaelschor Medieval memorial plaque
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche ( Our Lady's Church )

    by nicolaitan Updated Nov 17, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Nuremberg's most impressive RC church dominates the Hauptmarkt and is most famous for its dominant position and decoration at the Christkindelsmarkt or Christmas Market, an image in every bus tour brochure in the world. The church was commissioned by HRE Charles IV and built between 1355-8 on the site of a Jewish synagogue destroyed several years earlier in a pogrom. Peter Parler, who would become most famous for Prague's St. Vitus Cathedral, was imported to plan this chapel. Even without the decorations, the steeply angled roof and decorative facade featuring the Nativity surrounding the main doorway are quite striking. This is a relatively small church, capacity maybe 300.

    Added to the facade some years later is a clock with the seven electors of the Holy Roman Empire parading around Charles, a daily performance. This commemorates the Golden Bull which established the elector system and made it mandatory that each new emperor convene his first congress in Nuremberg. Inside, the dominant artwork is the three part Tucher altar by an unknown painter depicting the Crucifixion.

    Year round the Hauptmarkt is filled with stalls with striped red and white awnings selling all variety of food, crafts, clothing, and remembrances. The Christmas market must truly be awesome.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche (Church of our Lady)

    by Airpunk Updated Dec 16, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This gothic church was built between 1352 and 1361. It was built upon initiative of and financed by Emperor Charles IV. The church is richly decorated and owns a couple of interesting works of art. Perhaps the most interesting is the “Männleinlaufen”, a kind of gigantic cuckoo clock where instead of a bird, the Emperor and the seven electors (the noblemen entitled to chose the king) come out at noon. This mechanical clock was placed to remember the Golden Bull of 1356, issued by Charles IV. The Golden Bull is seen as the first civil law codex in Germany. Inside, have a look at the 15th century Tucher-Altar.
    A large refurbishment took place between 1810 and 1816. Since then, the church is the main catholic church of the town, ending the domination of St. Sebaldus and St. Laurenz which were the main churches for centuries. In WWII, the church was almost destroyed, leaving only the side and front walls standing. It was rebuilt in the following years, with a further refurbishment taking place between 1989 and 1991.

    The church was built on the ground of a fromer synagogue which was destroyed in a pogrome in 1349. In memory of the jewish victims – not only from medieval ages, but also from the nazi terror – a golden star of David is placed into the floor, closed to the altar of the church.

    Front of the Frauenkirche Inside the Frauenkirche
    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • brendareed's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche (Our Lady Church)

    by brendareed Written Oct 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Situated at the Hauptmarkt (central market square), the Frauenkirche (Our Lady Church) was built in the location of the former Jewish synagogue after the pogrom of 1349. Before this time, the market area was a swampy part of Nürnberg known as the Jewish quarter with the synagogue located nearby. However, for political reasons, Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV had the Jewish quarter razed, resulting in nearly 600 deaths; the possessions of these Jewish people were transferred to Charles, who used the money to buy support from his followers. In place of the Jewish quarter, a central market place was developed and over the site of the synagogue was built a Catholic church dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

    The Frauenkirche was originally to be the storage and display location of the Imperial Regalia, which includes the Emperor’s crown, clock, scepter, orb, and reliquaries, otherwise known as the Crown Jewels. It was determined during the building of the church (after the design had been set) that the Regalia would not be located at the church (they went to Prague instead). However, the church design was not altered to reflect this change. The design is the earliest example of a Gothic hall church, with the nave being as high as the side aisles. In keeping with the Gothic architecture, visitors eyes are drawn upwards toward the east choir and the tall stained glass windows allow the light to enter into what appears to be a rather plain stone hall.

    During the Protestant Reformation the Frauenkirche became a Luthern church when Nürnberg as a city converted. However, after the Catholic church purchased the church from the Lutherans in the early 1800s, so the Frauenkirche is once again a Catholic church.

    Heavily damaged in the World War II bombings of Nürnberg, the church has been restored. The west façade (the one facing the market square) and the entrance hall and Michael’s Choir above it remained intact after the 1945 bombings.

    At noon each day the clock on the west façade, Männleinlaufen, rings to commemorate the Golden Bull of 1356, when seven electors paid homage to Charles IV and it was decreed that each new Emperor would spend his first day in office in Nürnberg.

    During the Christmas market it is possible (for a fee) to climb up to the terrace below the clock for a view overlooking the market.

    The church is open daily, although on Sundays it opens in the afternoon. Visitors to the church can use the large information handouts in the back of the church for details on the church and the artwork. These are also available online at the Frauenkirche website.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Church of our lady (Frauenkirche)

    by german_eagle Written Apr 13, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Frauenkirche is another beautiful church. It was built 1352 – 58 as a donation of Emperor Karl IV. It is much smaller than the previous mentioned churches, but offers a nice private atmosphere inside, much like a chapel. See pictures of some works of art in my travelogue.

    West facade of the Frauenkirche
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • brendareed's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche: Artworks

    by brendareed Written Oct 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Inside the Frauenkirche are a variety of very interesting pieces of art. The city of Nürnberg was blessed to have excellent artists living within and some of these artists used their talents for decorating the church.

    The Tucher Altar stands in the east choir underneath the beautiful stained glass windows. This early panel painting by an unknown artist was painted in the mid-1400s to serve as the high altar of St. Veit’s Monastery. After the Augustinian monastery was demolished in 1816, the altar was transferred to the Frauenkirche. It depicts (left panel) St. Augustine speaking to St. Monica, then (central panel) three scenes from the life of Christ – annunciation, crucifixion, and resurrection, and (right panel) St. Paul the hermit and St. Anthony. While the altar still has the look of a medieval panel painting with the gold backgrounds, one can see the transition to more realistic looking people in the work as the influences of changing techniques of the times.

    The stained glass windows contain three original panes that are the oldest stained glass windows in Nürnberg, dating back to Emperor Charles IV’s commissioning of these windows for the Frauenkirche. They are located in the central part of the east choir above the Madonna that is hanging above the Tucher Altar. From left to right, these three panes depict St. Paul with his symbol the sword, the Virgin Mary with young Jesus, and St. Christopher carrying the young Christ on his shoulders. The remainder of the stained glass windows date to a later 16th and 17th century and were donated by wealthy families from Nürnberg.

    I was fascinated by the two curved paintings that wrap around the front of the large columns in the nave of the church. These epitaphs depict the resurrection of Christ (left) and the archangel Michael (right). The painting on the left was done around 1440 by an unknown artist. The painting on the right was dedicated to the royal chef, Michael Raffael and was painted by Michael Wolgemut (Albrecht Dürer’s instructor) around 1489.

    There is lots to see in the Frauenkirche; be sure to look around at the various statues and paintings, the frescoes in the Entrance Hall, and the sculptures on the exterior, especially the west façade.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • brendareed's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche – climbing the tower

    by brendareed Written Oct 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    During the annual Christmas market, the Frauenkirche opens its doors for visitors to climb up to the terrace that is below the clock on the west façade. This provides an excellent view of the market and its festivities. The fee is €3/person (2012) and there may be a waiting time because of the very narrow spiral staircase; you must wait until everyone comes down before heading upwards. It is not a long climb since you are only going about half-way up the height of the church.

    At the top of the stairs, you arrive at the Michael’s Choir, a balcony that was created for the Holy Roman Emperor to use when he wanted to be at church services but provided some privacy. It is named Michael’s Choir after the patron saint of the Emperor and the Empire: the archangel Michael.

    During the Christmas market, this area has historical displays of the Christmas markets female Christmas angel, who opens the market from the Frauenkirche’s terrace each year. There are also some historical photos and newspapers of the church.

    Leaving through one side door, you then can head outside to see the market. When I was there it was very cold and there was a lot of ice on the terrace making it rather slippery. But I was able to get some video and some photos of the market, which was why I made the climb. There is no maximum time you can stand out on the terrace, but once ready to come back in, return through the door on the other side and head back down the spiral staircase.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Festivals
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • brendareed's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche Clock – Männleinlaufen

    by brendareed Written Oct 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    At noon each day the clock on the west façade, Männleinlaufen, rings to commemorate the Golden Bull of 1356, when seven electors paid homage to Charles IV and it was decreed that each new Emperor would spend his first day in office in Nürnberg.

    The seven electors are represented on the clock along with the Emperor; the electors are the archbishops from Cologne, Mainz, and Trier, as well as the Duke of Saxony, Margrave of Brandenburg, King of Bohemia, and Count Palantine on the Rhein.

    The clock was designed in 1509 by S. Lindenast and G. Heuss. The gable dates to this same time and was created by Adam Kraft, one of the last pieces by this sculptor before his death.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • kmohandas's Profile Photo

    CHURCH OF OUR LADY (FRAUENKIRCHE)

    by kmohandas Updated Mar 8, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Church Of Our Lady is a major land mark of city located right in the heart of Hauptmarkt (Main Market), which is famous for X-mas shopping. The construction of the church was completed in 1361 AD is famous for it's ancient sculptures. Notable attractions areTucher Altar and an ancient clock.This church looks magnificient and stands right in the heart of the city.

    FRAUENKIRCHE THE MAGNIFICIENT CHURCH
    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mikebond's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche - overview

    by Mikebond Updated Jul 24, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Frauenkirche is the most ancient Gothic church in Franken. Emperor Karl IV had it built where a synagogue had been previously erected. The construction took place in 1352-58 and may be due to Heinrich Parler. In 1506-08, Adam Kraft added the projecting portico.

    Frauenkirche Frauenkirche Frauenkirche Frauenkirche Frauenkirche
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mikebond's Profile Photo

    Frauenkirche - the clock

    by Mikebond Written Jul 19, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This clock, added to the pediment of the façade of Frauenkirche in 1509, is not a clock with statues as there are many. If you are lucky to be in the market square at midday, as my parents and I were in 2006, you will see a great spectacle: as the bells start ringing, they move like the characters of a musical box. You will need a camera with a good zoom to be able to see all their moves. This is really a "thing to do"!

    animated clock animated clock animated clock
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Nürnberg

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

20 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near Frauenkirche - Church of Our Lady
4.0 out of 5 stars
1 Review
0.2 miles away
Show Prices
4.0 out of 5 stars
1 Review
0.2 miles away
Show Prices
4.5 out of 5 stars
1 Review
0.2 miles away
Show Prices

View all Nürnberg hotels