Karlsbrücke, Nürnberg

1 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

  • Karlsbrücke
    by Kathrin_E
  • View towards Henkersteg from Karlsbrücke
    View towards Henkersteg from Karlsbrücke
    by Kathrin_E
  • Inscription with chronogram
    Inscription with chronogram
    by Kathrin_E
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo


    by Kathrin_E Written Jul 6, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The bridge crosses the southern arm of Pegnitz river to the island and Trödelmarkt square. It is one of the younger bridges in Nürnberg's old town. It was named after Emperor Karl VI (1711-1740) who, according to the inscriptions, opened and consecrated it in person. The bridge is ornated with two stone obelisks. One carries a bronze dove, the other one a bronze eagle. Each has a plate with a Latin inscription referringt to the imperial founder. One of them contains a chronogram which, in Roman numbers, sums up to the date 1728.

    Karlsbr��cke View towards Henkersteg from Karlsbr��cke Inscription with chronogram
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Nürnberg

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

54 travelers online now


View all Nürnberg hotels