Markets, Nürnberg

by balhannah
  • brendareed's Profile Photo

Marketplatz and market

by brendareed Written Oct 16, 2014

The central market square (Hauptmarkt) in the middle of town is probably a place that you will walk through and, if there is no market going on, then it will appear to be a vast open space. However, on market days and especially during the Christmas market (Christkindlesmarkt), the square is full of activity from shoppers and vendors alike.

The market is located next to the Frauenkirche in the large square that also houses the Schöner brunnen (Beautiful Fountain), just down the road a bit from the castle grounds. Historically, this area used to be a swampy land that housed the Jewish quarter with homes and synagogue; however, in 1349 the city demolished the area to make room for the market with more than 600 Jewish people losing their lives (the Frauenkirche stands in the location of the former synagogue).

Regular market days have all kinds of local vendors selling anything from fruits and vegetables to craft items. Cheese, spices, breads, meats, plants, and other goodies can be found at the market and it is fun to wander between the stalls.

During the Christmas market, this square is completely filled with rows and rows of vendors, mostly selling crafts along with the traditional Glühwein (hot mulled wine), Lebkuchen (gingerbread type cookies), and other tasty seasonal treats.

For a bird’s eye view of the market square, you can walk up the stairs on the south side that lead to the second story restaurants and cafes. During the Christmas market, the Frauenkirche opens up their tower for people to climb up to the terrace and look out over the market.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

TRODELMARKT

by balhannah Written Jul 4, 2013

The Trodelmarkt is no longer a Pig market from the Middle ages, nor is it an area for selling junk. Today, it's a very smart shopping area where I found small boutiques, jewelery stores, wooden toy shops, and any other upmarket type of shop you can think of. I found some nice wooden toys and some very cute Frogs for all those "Frog" collectors. It was a nice area to sit outdoors at one of the many Cafes.
    The Nuremberg Trodelmarkt is located between Unschlittplatz and the Karlsbrucke .

Frogs @ Trodelmarkt Frogs @ Trodelmarkt Trodelmarkt Trodelmarkt wooden toys
    • Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Market Square

by Airpunk Written Jan 25, 2008

Unlike other large cities in Germany, there is still a regular market on the main market square in the city center. I don’t have any information about the time when the market was held first, but it is supposed to be among the oldest in Germany. Today it is held on weekdays during daytime, but again, I have no information about the exact hours.
    Nuernberg was one of the focus city of the Nazi party and so the suqare was renamed Adolf Hitler Square. After the end of WWII, the Hitler name was removed. On the market square, you will find the Schöner Brunnen (Beautiful Fountain) and the church of our lady as main sights. From there, you can see also two of the most important churches in Nuernberg: The Sebalduskirche and the Lorenzkirche.

Nuernberg Market Square Nuernberg Market Square

• marenloo's Profile Photo

The ChristKindle market of...

by marenloo Written Feb 25, 2003

The ChristKindle market of Nuremberg starts in November every year in lorence church square.This market is very famous.
    Millions of people from the whole Europe visit it regularly.I enjoyed watching them going around ,eating christmass sweets ,drinking christmass wine and
    buying special presents which seem asif were small toys of kids..but they were hand made .I asked my friend Mr .Schutz about them who just said I can’t tell what these things express for us in the christmass.As a muslim I think I had got the meaning even I was not fully convinced but the problem is a matter of ideology.For example ,I never drink wine ,and when I wanted to buy the special mug of Nurembeg christmass market they said I had to buy it full of wine .They did not get my dogma that I don’t pay for wine because it’s forbidden in my religion and my ideology so it’s better for me to give the money to who deserve it . Finally , one of my friends bought the mug , drank the wine and give it to me as a present………
    It was kind of him!!! Badly ..When I’m back home my mother break this mug by mistake.

• Wine Tasting

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

Sightseeing

by mauro_pd Updated Dec 15, 2006

Do not let yourself be overwhelmed just with the market itself ... surrounding buildings are even better with all the lights on.

• Architecture

• Traub's Profile Photo

just walk down from the...

by Traub Written Aug 24, 2002

just walk down from the railway to the middle of the town. This is the main market and the Frauen-church. At the north site is the Nuremberg tourist information.

Instant Answers: Nürnberg