The Town Hall (Rathaus) in Nürnberg sits across from St. Sebaldus Church. Dating back to the mid-1300s, it is a large imposing building that was built in an Italian Renaissance style. The earliest section of the building is the great hall, which was at one point the largest civic hall in Europe (north of the Alps) and had some paintings by Nürnberg artist Albrecht Dürer decorating the walls. Dungeons from this medieval period can be seen underneath the hall.
In the early 1600s, the building was expanded and that is when it took on the Italian Renaissance styling. See my Medici Palace tip from Florence for a photo of an actual Italian palazzo similar to the styling of the Nürnberg Rathaus. Although the exterior is Renaissance, there are some later Baroque additions to the portals.
Sadly, the original Rathaus was destroyed in during the bombings of World War II; what we see today is a reconstruction built in the late 1950s.
The term "Old City Hall" comprises all buildings erected between the 14th and 17th century in the block bordered by Rathausplatz, Rathausgässchen and Theresienstraße. The great ceremonial hall built between 1332 and 1340 which was at one time the largest secular hall north of the Alps. The so-called Wolff building was an extension added between 1617 and 1622 on the site of former Gothic buildings. The entire complex was destroyed by bombs in 1945 and reconstructed between 1956 and 1962.
On the north side of the Hauptmarkt in Nuremberg can be found the new Town Hall (Rathaus; 1954). Behind it, to the north, is the old building (by Jakob Wolff, 1616-22; magnificent doorways on west side). Under it are the old dungeons and torture chamber (which can be visited).
The term "Old City Hall" comprises all buildings erected between the 14th and 17th century in the block bordered by Rathausplatz, Rathausgässchen and Theresienstraße. The so-called Wolff building was constructed between 1617 and 1622 on the site of former Gothic buildings.
The design by Jakob Wolff the Younger, with its three-storey western façade, subdivided in Classical style, and erected opposite the eastern choir of St Sebaldus' Church, is modelled on Italian palazzo design, and to this day has remained a dominant element in the cityscape.
the altes rathaus, (old city hall) next to the hauptmarket in central nuremberg was once the site of speeches by nazi party big wigs during the nurnberg party rallies. today a visitor can take a tour of it's 14 th century dungeons. open tues-sunday.
On the picture you can see a detail of the Old Rathaus of Nuernberg. This is the city's official coat of arms. Blue and white as you can see in the right part of the coat, by the way, are the colors of Franken.
The town hall is a huge complex consisting of the modern building facing onto the main market place, and the great ceremonial hall which dates back to the early 14th century. The buildings were extended in the 17th century in the style of the Italian Renaissance, which makes up the building in the photograph that fronts onto Bergstrasse. Around the outside of the townhouse are some wonderful little sidestreet and inside you can find the medieval dungeons and torture chamber.
Rathaus means ýCity Hallý in English, and the present Rathaus was built in parts, and is really a mixture of epochs and architectural styles. Overlooking the Hauptmarkt square is the oldest part, constructed during the years 1332 - 1340 in according to the rules of Gothic style - and lately remodeled in the 15th century.
The other side - the one facing Rathausplatz square - was built in 1616 - 1622 by the architect Jakob Wolff. Looks for portals with decorations in the form of heraldic signs. Thereýs also a 1557 fountain in the courtyard.
The Town Hall was built by Wolff between 1616-1622 in the style of early Broque with its splendid portals and roofwork.