Oberammergau Restaurants

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Fremdenzimmer: Awesome Gulosh Soup

by TinKan Updated Aug 15, 2004

A place to eat

This is a favorite place with the locals and you will find locals and tourist here almost everynight.

The food offered here is traditional local and is very very good as well as being cheap.

Most eat early so if you show up about 1930 (7:30pm) you should be able to get a table.

Favorite Dish: The soup was real good here and the bread was nice and warm.

Ettaler Mühle: Good meal option outside Oberammergau

by Trekki Updated Mar 7, 2014

Slightly outside of Oberammergau, on the way to Linderhof Castle, lies the restaurant „Ettaler Mühle“ (Ettal Mill). It seems to be quite popular, especially for hikers and bikers, with the large outside seating. And a hiking and biking paradise the region around it indeed is!

When I did the herb walk & hike organised by Oberammergau’s tourist office, we stopped here on the way back for a small snack. I had a “Frittatensuppe” (clear broth with pancake stripes) for 3,20 Euro, a Bavarian speciality. Later, as a kind of dessert, I wanted the typical sweet called “Ausgezogene” (explanation in Wikipedia -> here) for 3,50 Euro. Both dishes were definitely freshly homemade and very delicious.

Although I wanted to come back to try one of their other local specialities for dinner, I never made it during my two weeks, maybe because I stayed in the holiday apartment with kitchen.

But nevertheless I can highly recommend it! Their website is only in German though. But they have these typical dishes like Schweinshaxe (for you, Kate!), liver dumplings, Spätzle (Swabian noodles), Leberkäs (Bavarian hot meat loaf, nowadays without liver, although the name was kept).
    On the website, check for photos of the interior and exterior:
    “Biergarten” = outside seating area,
    “Stube” = interior rooms.

Daily: 10:00 – 22:00,
    Credit cards: might be accepted (sorry but I forgot to ask), but bring cash to be on the safe side,
    Wheelchair access: the outside seating is wheelchair accessible, however there are stairs into the inside seating.

Location of Ettaler Mühle, near Oberammergau & Ettal, on Google Maps.
    or - as test for now because the Google Maps link is ridiculous since the introduction of new Google maps:
    Location of Ettaler Mühle, near Oberammergau & Ettal, on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., March 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Ice cream to die for and Italian snacks

by Trekki Updated Mar 6, 2014

Gelato Paradiso is an excellent place in Oberammergau for several reasons: first of all an excellent and delicious ice cream in many varieties, then they serve delicious snacks and, with the large outside seating, it is ideal for a rest and people watching. And it is open all year long except for 4 weeks in February.

I was already here in winter 2012, had latte macchiato. In October 2013 I visited here more often during my 2 weeks stay and sampled their ice cream. But well, what can I say – it was so good that I always forgot to take photos. When Kate, @Maryimelda, came to Bavaria early October 2013, I took her to Gelato Paradiso too, to wait for her daughter-in-law who was sightseeing and shopping. That time we took photos of our delicious snack, a kind of mini-pizza, with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil for 4,50 Euro. Ice cream, by the way, is 0,90 Euro per scoop. Check their website below for photos of their ice creams.

Gelato Paradiso is located nearby famous Pilatus-Haus, the bigger Käthe Wohlfahrt shop, Oberammergau’s Museum and the Passion Theatre. Opposite is a parking area, which makes it even more ideal for a rest.

Daily: 09:00 – 23:00 in summer; 09:00 – 21:30 in winter,
    Credit cards: might be accepted (sorry but I didn’t ask), but for these small amounts of prices, it is better to bring cash,
    Wheelchair access: yes, there is no stairs and no steps, for outside and inside area.

Location of Gelato Paradiso, Oberammergau, on Google Maps.

Kolbensattel Hütte: Local dishes in the mountains

by Trekki Updated Jan 11, 2014

In October 2013 I went up here on recommendation of my host, Mrs. Unruh. She said that the hike is rather boring but that the location of the restaurant would be nice and that they would also have delicious local dishes.

And indeed: they offer the typical hearty dishes of Bavaria and the Alpine regions, such as Leberknödelsuppe (liver dumpling soup), Gulaschsuppe (goulash soup), Pfannekuchensuppe (clear soup with pancake stripes), Kasspatzen/Käsespätzle (Spätzle = freshly made egg noodles with melted cheese and onions) and of course several types of Brotzeit (hearty snacks, e.g. Speck = bacon, pretzels with butter, cheese and spicy sausages). It was very hard for me to decide, but at the end – how boring – I decided to eat one of my most favourite German dishes: Semmelknödel (bread dumpling) in creamy mushroom sauce (7,40 Euro). Haha, those who have travelled in Germany with me or have read my German restaurant tips might know that I really like them and my eyes always beam with joy when I see these on the menus. This bread dumpling was good, although it wasn’t made fresh. The creamy mushroom sauce contained fresh mushrooms though, but was rather thick and on the higher calorie end.

I was also very happy to see that they have red currant juice (3 Euro for 500 ml) on the beverage menu, which is what I ordered, together with a glass of fresh milk (3 Euro for 500 ml). Prices as of October 2013.

How to get there:
    Either by hiking up and down to the mountain hut or by taking the chair lift up to the hut. The chair lift is free for visitors with Königscard, otherwise it costs 6,50 Euro for the mountain only or 9,90 Euro for mountain and back to the valley:
    Kolbensattelbahn, prices

Location of Kolbensattelhütte, Oberammergau, on Google Maps.
    Location of Kolbensattelbahn, the valley station, Oberammergau, on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., January 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Hotel Alte Post: Delicious local dishes in the middle of town

by Trekki Updated Jan 14, 2014

It was a beautiful sunny day in late October and I was hungry. Since I was walking through town and passed the restaurant & hotel Alte Post where one table was free in the outside seating area I decided that this will be it. A quick look at the menu made clear that I craved for Spätzle and this Salisbury Steak (a kind of burger, but larger). It was called “Hacksteak” on their menu (a burger would be called “Fleischpflanzerl” in Bavaria). Was it good? Yes, the steak/burger was good, the Spätzle excellent (fresh made and no semi-finished product), however the sauce/gravy was slightly too fat for my liking. The dish came together with a small salad and cost 8,10 Euro, which I see as a fair price.

The menu is available on their website, even in English!!! And it contains information which dishes are vegetarian and which are made with local produces (from Ammergauer Alps). See website link below.

Opening hours: sorry I did not note this down, but it does not close down between lunchtime and dinner time (I was there at approx. 15:00),
    Credit cards: accepted, but only from an amount of 20 Euro on, so bring cash to be on the safe side,
    Wheelchair access: yes, definitely for the outside seating and inside I think too.

Location of Hotel & Restaurant Alte Post, Oberammergau, on Google Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Cafe Krönner - cakes to die for!

by Trekki Updated Jan 11, 2014

One day I shall write a book “From cake to cake through Germany”, featuring cafés with delicious cakes. Café Krönner will definitely be among the ones I’d list. In February 2012 I had the pleasure to try two of their cafés, one in Murnau and the other in Oberammergau. And of course I was here quite often during my two weeks stay in Oberammergau in October 2013.

The history of Café Krönner is already interesting. Founder Johann Baptist Krönner settled in 1759 and worked as gingerbread baker (the old German guild of “Lebzelter”), chandler (“Wachszieher”) and mead maker (“Metsieder”). In a travel documentary I saw that the family still has the historical moulds and often bake Germany’s typical speculoos with these old moulds during Christmas period. Another curiosity in context to the founder is that Cafè Krönner not only sells cakes and sweets but also candles, paying tribute to the chandler background of their founder. I can testify that they have very nice candles!

So what did we do and eat in both of the locations of Café Krönner we visited in February 2012? In Oberammergau we had delicious hot chocolate made with milk and chocolate bars from Austrian company Zotter. This was definitely the best hot chocolate I ever tasted! I had a special cake, dedicated to Agnes Bernauer, a Bavarian woman who was murdered by her father in law in 1436. The Agnes Bernauer cake (photo 3) is nut-meringue based, filled with mocha butter cream. During my stay in October 2013 I ate this cake again and it was as good as during my winter day. But there is more: for example their “Spanish Vanilla” cake (main photo) and their lemon cream cake (photo 2). The prices of the cakes are 2,40 Euro for take-away and 3,10 Euro when you sit down and eat them in the cafe.

What can I say?! Come and eat cakes here - you will not be disappointed!

Monday – Saturday: 8:15 – 19:00, Sunday and holidays: 12:00 – 19:00,
    Wheelchair access: yes, there is no stairs and no steps (except two steps to the toilet).

Location of Café Krönner, Oberammergau, on Google Maps.

Instant Answers: Oberammergau

Comments

Oberammergau Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oberammergau restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oberammergau sightseeing.