Oberammergau Shopping

• Janni67's Profile Photo

Several, e.g. Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas Shop: Woodcarvings and Christmas items

by Janni67 Updated Nov 26, 2003

Beautifully decorated shop in Oberammergau

What to buy: Oberammergau is famous for regional specialities such as woodcarvings and the "Trachten" (traditional clothes). Woodcarvers made Oberammergau worldfamous - already before the Passion Play. And even today the village is home of approximately 100 woodcarvers. They don't make religious subjects only, but a lot more from toys to humoristic portraits. If you'd like to know more about the handicraft of today step into the Pilatushaus (Pilatushouse under must see activities!) - there craftsmen explain their work and technique and give you a bright look into the world of arts (open Mo-Fr 1 - 6 pm)

Naturally there are also numerous gift and souvenir shops if that's what you're looking for...

Opening hours might be a little different to what you're used to:
    Monday to Friday: from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., some to 8 p.m. (Banks open mostly to only 4:30 p.m.) If you'll be visiting Oberammergau during the weekind, note that Saturdays are short: from around 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., some shops are open in the afternoon; banks are closed. Sundays then only one bakery is open from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. + some of the souvenir shops are open.

What I loved the most, being such a "fan" of Christmas still at this age ;), was the Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas Shop! There seem to be two (I only saw one) and you can find them at Dorfstr. 25 and Dorfstr. 6.

Café Krönner: Chocolate delights

by Trekki Updated Dec 29, 2013

Café Krönner is an institution in southern Bavaria. It is a family run business and it seems that each of the “kids” has picked a popular village to open their own cafè. They are cafes and of course shopping paradise for anyone who loves organic chocolate. They have cafes in Oberammergau, Murnau, Garmisch and in Straubing.

The café in Oberammergau had a better selection of chocolate than the one in Murnau. However in Murnau we did buy some nice candles, which is a nice tribute to the chandler background of Café Krönner’s founder back in 18th century.

Chocolate-wise my sister and I stocked up with delicious organic chocolate:
    Chocolate bars from Austrian company Zotter (orange-marsipan, acai berries and raspberry juice plus lemon), 3,70 Euro each and some of Café Krönner’s “artist chocolate”, especially one with sour barberries. My favourites though were the chocolates of another Austrian chocolate manufacturer, Confiserie Berger:
    apple-elderberry, herbs from Salzburg’s pastures (my favourite), hay flowers and round-leaved-mint (apple mint).
    Each of these chocolates: 100g, 5,95 Euro.

In the meantime I was here more often, especially during my two week stay in Oberammergau in October 2013. Of course I had my coffee and cake here several times but I also bought some pralines and truffles for family and friends. My favourites were the ones they call “Die Königlichen” (The royals; photo 2, with a filling of raspberry jelly), of course in honour of King Ludwig II, who liked Oberammergau and who has built Linderhof Castle nearby.

Opening hours:
    Monday – Saturday: 8:15 – 19:00, Sunday and holidays: 12:00 – 19:00.
    Credit cards accepted, wheelchair accessible.

Location of Café Krönner in Oberammergau on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., December 2013 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Any of them will do: Clocks and more

by TinKan Written Jan 28, 2003

Loads of shops

We found that the prices were very good for a tourist town like this and regret not buying more.

There is a very good selection of Christmas stuff and a great collection on CooCo clocks to choose from.

Most shops will ship to just about anywhere in the world for you at a reasonable rate.

What to buy: Clocks, Christmas decorations, wood carvings

• Hiking and Walking

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Woodcarving: Woodcarving

by Cristian_Uluru Written Aug 6, 2008

Woodcarving

Oberammergau is famous for its long tradition of woodcarving. Its central streets are home to dozens of woodcarver shops, with pieces ranging from religious subjects, to toys, to humoristic portraits.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Käthe Wohlfahrt: Christmas shopping all year round :-)

by Trekki Updated Jan 11, 2014

Käthe Wohlfahrt’s shops are most probably the best known and most frequented shops for foreigners visiting Germany. That’s understandable if one looks at the history of the company: it started with a music box as a gift for American friends in 1963, and the company is now standing for typical romantic German Christmas. I still don’t have an opinion about the shops and the goods because the majority of the goods is too kitschy for my liking. On the other hand, many Christmas tree hangers have specific German themes, especially Bavarian, so it is understandable that foreigners love to shop here.

Oberammergau has two of Käthe Wohlfahrt’s shops. One is right in the middle of town. This one has a larger variety of non-Christmas these goods. The other one is almost entirely devoted to Christmas decorations and has also several trees decorated in specific colour themes. It was one of these where I found a really beautiful “crystal”: silver plated filigree work, very pretty, however not cheap (19 Euro). But it was so special that I had to have it.

Opening hours: Monday – Friday: 10:00 – 17:00, Saturday: 10:00 – 16:00 (closed on Sundays); the smaller shop (no 2) is closed from mid January to mid March.
    Credit cards: of course accepted! Käthe Wohlfahrt shops do know the needs of their foreign customers! They also provide foreigners with the tax refund form and help them to fill it out;
    Wheelchair access: yes, in both shops, although there are steps inside the second shop and a stair to the upper floor in the main one.

Location of Käthe Wohlfart shop 1 (the main one) on Google Maps.
    Location of Käthe Wohlfart shop 2 on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., January 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Christkindlmarkt: Xmas Decortions

by balhannah Updated Sep 14, 2011

Christkindlmarkt

What a wonderful Xmas shop this was!
    First, I looked in the prettily decorated windows, and thought they were nicely set out, then I went into the shop.
    This shop is amazing, it is absolutely stocked full with xmas decorations of all kinds plus some other giftware. I didn't find anything at a reasonable price, so didn't buy. I still spent quite a bit of time in here just browsing the beautiful decorations.

I guess for the Ladies, it is a must visit, don't know about you Gentlemen!

OPEN............
    Monday - Saturday: 10 a.m. TO 5 p.m.
    Sunday: closed

• Women's Travel

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Schönegger Käse (cheese and dairy): Delicious organic dairy products :-)

by Trekki Updated Dec 23, 2013

Who loves dairy products such as milk and cheese the way I do (ok, I am addicted to fresh raw milk) should purchase these goods in the little shop of “Schönegger Käse” (Schönegg is the name, Käse = cheese). During my stay in Oberammergau it quickly became my favourite shop, especially because they have raw milk. The products are all of high quality and certified GMO free. The company has also a location between Wies Church and Rottenbuch, where they demonstrate cheese making every Thursday at 11:00. They advertise that their cattle feed on meadows with a high degree of wildflowers and herbs, and during summer the cattle is mostly on high pastures. During winter it is being fed with hey only, and definitely no silage. I can testify that the milk tastes better and that this is also being reflected in the cheese.

Oh yes, the cheese... Because it is made with this special hay milk only, and because of the high quality standards, neither preserving agents nor other additives are being used. The variety in cheese is incredible: hard and soft cheese, semi-soft cheese, cream cheese, made from milk of cows, goats and sheep. They even have season specific ones, like elderberry cheese in autumn, “nut cracker” cheese in winter, wild garlic cheese in spring and mango cheese in summer. Then they have red wine cheese, mountain pasture flowers cheese, fenugreek cheese, cheese with pistachios, etc, just to name a few.

It was very difficult for me to select but finally I bought fenugreek cheese, mountain pasture flowers cheese and later hey milk brie and red wine cheese, and of course my daily need of raw milk (2 litres per day). Do I really need to mention that everything tasted very delicious? I could easily have eaten myself through their whole stock.....

But then they also deliver within Germany. I was amazed about their prices! The average price for hard and semi-soft cheese is 16,90 Euro per kg. Which is less than I pay in a good supermarket for average cheese quality! And this means that I will order from them once in a while.

They also have shops like this in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Ulm, Oberstdorf, Murnau, Schwangau (= near Neuschwanstein Castle), Bad Tölz, just to name a few. Their demonstration of cheese making is near Rottenbuch:
    Location of Schönegger Käse – demonstration of cheese making on Google Maps.

Opening hours: Monday – Friday: 08:30 – 12:30, 14:00 – 18:00; Saturday: 08:00 – 12:00,
    Credit cards: not accepted (as of November 2013), so bring cash please.
    Wheelchair access: yes

With buying here you could make your mark for non-GMO products.

Location of Schönegger Käse shop, Oberammergau, on Google Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Mosaik: High value gifts and cosmetic articles

by Trekki Updated Dec 29, 2013

When my sister and I walked through Oberammergau on a crispy cold day in February 2012, we passed this shop and, since we both are lovers of any kind of aroma gifts, went inside to see and smell their goods. What a good decision this was! The shop had soaps and body creams from Austrian manufacturer Hansen, all based on sheep’s milk. They came in a big variety of different flavours with, as far as I could smell, natural aromas and not artificial ones. It was hard to decide but at the end we bought some soaps with lavender and lemon. They also had funny shaped soap, such as sheep, hearts, four-leaf clovers and flowers, but these are more for decoration.
    Each soap did cost 2,60 Euro.

In the meantime I also have three charming tea light holders, from company Dreamlight, a gift from a sweet person. These tea light holders are also being sold in Mosaik shop.

Sorry that I cannot say anything about the opening hours, I simply forgot to note these down.
    Credit cards: accepted.
    Since the shop has stairs to the entrance, it is sadly not accessible for wheelchairs.
    And they still don’t have a website.

Directions: it is easy to find, in Dorfstrasse 14, only a few metres away from Oberammergau’s Museum.

Location of Mosaik Shop on Google Maps.

(various): Sports and equipment shops in Oberammergau

by Trekki Updated Jan 11, 2014

Alpenwelt

With its location in Ammergauer Alps and the vicinity to any of the splendid Bavarian prime all year round sports destinations it is only natural that Oberammergau has many sports and equipment shops. I was surprised to see that the prices of the goods are reasonable, but then of course, the locals have to shop too. But it is good to see that the shop owners do have fair prices!

I needed several things and thus went inside three of these:

Shoes – Wolf
    This shop is located right in the centre of town, near the main shop of Käthe Wohlfahrt and the large gelateria. I needed solid hiking boots and was very happy with the service: the woman understood my special needs (broad feet and a slight bunion) and patiently brought me several pairs. At the end I chose a pair of my favourite brand, Meindl, and am very happy with it!
    Website Schuhaus Wolf

Clothes, backpacks and more - “Alpenwelt”
    I needed a day pack and found a good one here, of brand Vaudee. Service was excellent and prices reasonable. The shop is located opposite of Hotel Post and Cafe Krönner, on the main street.
    Website of “Alpenwelt”

Clothes, sneakers and more - “Sport Mühlstrasser”
    Since I wanted to make use of my Königscard in Oberammergau’s excellent public bath and pools, I needed a bathing suit. Found it here, even for a reduced price. This shop is slightly off the main street: pass Hotel Post to the left and it is 100 m to the right.
    Website of Sport Mühlstrasser

Opening hours: (the usual shopping hours, Monday – Friday: 10:00 – 18:00, Saturdays until 15:00)
    Credit cards: yes, in all of the three shops,
    Wheelchair access: yes for Shoes Wolf and Alpenwelt; the other one has stairs into the shop (5 steps or so).

Location of Schuhaus Wolf on Google Maps.

Location of “Alpenwelt” on Google Maps.

Location of Sport Mühlstrasser on Google Maps.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Tony Baur: Wood carving

by balhannah Written Sep 13, 2011

Woodcarving

In Oberammergau there are lots of shops selling wood carvings. Good competition and plenty to choose from, including Nativity sets, Madonna's, Crucifixes, many types of household necessities, I guess anything that can be made from wood.

Wood carving in Oberammergau, goes back to 1111.
    Today there are about 120 wood sculptors in Oberammergau, carving and selling a large amount wooden goods.
    There even is a Carvers School in town offering courses providing specialist training for wood carvers.
    If you visit the "Pilatushaus" in the afternoon, you can watch the carvers at work.

Food shopping, the supermarkets

by Trekki Updated Dec 22, 2013

Those who stay in a holiday apartment or on a campground might need to fill the fridge from time to time and might like to cook “at home”. IMHO the best and most reasonable place to do so is the food & beverage centre near the train station, on the way to Unterammergau (north). There is ample free parking outside and one has the choice between the discounters “Lidl” and “Netto” and the slightly dearer “Tengelmann” with a higher variety of fresh produces. In addition there is a beverage store and drugstore “Müller”. (FYI: the website links are all in German, but it might be helpful to see the logos for better recognition).

But even for the ones who stay in guesthouses, hotels etc might need to know where the supermarkets are located. It is here where one best buys water, soda and the occasional snacks and chips.

Opening hours: 8 or 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (might vary from shop to shop),
    Credit cards accespted (at Lidl, Tengelmann, Netto),
    Wheelchair accessible.

During my two weeks in Oberammergau I did almost all food shopping (except bread, milk and cheese) there. My favourite shop for milk and cheese in Oberammergau is Schönegg Käse, described separately.

Location of Oberammergau food & beverage shopping centre on Google Maps.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Kathe Wolfart: Kathe Wolfart

by mvtouring Written Oct 29, 2010

I love these shops as you can always find something very special there to take home for a loved one that could not be with you on the trip or even for yourself.

Instant Answers: Oberammergau

Comments

Oberammergau Shopping

Reviews and photos of Oberammergau shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oberammergau sightseeing.