Regensburg Restaurants

Same picture as on their beer labels
    Bischofshof Braustuben
    Interesting sauce

Most Recent Restaurants in Regensburg

Other food & snack options

by Trekki Updated Apr 11, 2015

I read that Regensburg has one of the highest densities of pubs, bars, restaurants in Germany. I didn’t count but simply enjoyed the variety of options to choose from.

Other than the restaurants and cafes I have described already, I can highly recommend visiting one of the farmers’ markets in town. Like any other German farmers’ markets they are mostly held in the mornings (from very early morning to noon or slightly past noon). I visited the one at Alter Kornmarkt, southeast of the cathedral. Apart from flowers and fresh produces wagons are there where farmers sell meat products and also snacks. Since this is Bavaria, “Semmeln” or bread rolls, are quite popular for snacks, especially when a piece of “Leberkäs” is being put between the bread roll halves. “Leberkäse“ would translate into liver-cheese but it has nothing to do with either of these. It consists of corned beef, pork, onions, bacon and herbs, mostly marjoram, finely grinded, put into a square pan and baked. I bought one of these “Leberkäs-Semmeln” for 1,40 Euro at the market and oh yes, it was good.

Another good option for snacks, also for non vegetarians tough, are the two shops of Vinzenzmurr in the old town (and one at the southern end of the train station). There you can buy any kind of bread roll with filling, either “Leberkäs” or “Fleischpflanzerl”, which is the Bavarian term for hamburger.

I also went to REWE supermarket twice to stuff up my fridge in the holiday apartment. There I also saw a salad bar with various salads like iceberg lettuce, potato salad, tomatoes, boiled eggs, mushrooms and more, sold by the 100 g/0,2 lb for 0,99 Euro. This is a good option for quick and reasonable snacks anyhow: supermarkets and their loose or packed salads.

A good option to grab a coffee to go are the Tchibo stores in Germany. Regensburg has two: one in the old town centre and one at the train station. My large latte macchiato was 2,70 Euro. A recent testing of coffees to go on German TV resulted in good reviews of Tchibo and McDonalds coffee, so the two McDonalds in Regensburg are at the train station and in the old town.

Oh, and another special kind of gelateria I found in one of the side streets in the old town. Sadly I just had my lunch a couple of minutes ago, so I was not hungry, not even for ice cream. And later I completely forgot about it. It seems to be an Italian franchise system called "Mu":Mu. One can create the ice cream as one likes: various flavours and various toppings. It definitely sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe next time :-)

Location of farmers’ market at Alter Kornmarkt on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., April 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Mu - the

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Hofbräuhaus: Another Hofbräuhaus - and good dumplings :-)

by Trekki Updated Apr 9, 2015

On Sunday I had booked a guided tour through “Immerwährender Reichstag” (Perpetual Diet of Regensburg) in the old town hall where the tourist office is also located. My tour was scheduled for 1:30 p.m., so Hofbräuhaus had a perfect location for me to see when my group would start to gather. The dishes on the menu looked promising, very Bavarian. It was almost noon when I entered the restaurant and several tables were still available. This, however, changed quickly: a sign that the restaurant is very popular with the locals. I heard mostly local dialect. Since I am not so fond of the majority of Bavarian dishes, especially of the cooked meat, I happily chose my favourite, dumplings. But these dumplings came cut and roasted in a pan, together with egg and onions. They were similarly prepared as one of my most favourite dishes from Saarland, the region where I grew up, so yes, they were delicious. And because my car was hundreds of miles away I could try their beer, specifically their Festbier (event beer), a dark one. Also very good! Prices (March 2015): the dumplings came 7,50 Euro and 0,25 l dark beer was 2,40 Euro.

Hofbräuhaus is part of a very visitor friendly system established in Regensburg. This system is called “Nette Toilette”, friendly toilet, and means that anyone can come in and use their bathrooms.

Location of Hofbräuhaus on Google Maps.

Cafe Prinzess: Chocolate and cake... but for a price

by Trekki Updated Apr 9, 2015

The location of this cafe is priceless: close by the tourist office with outside seating. According to the locals and the guidebooks it is the most popular and famous in town. On the outside is a sign claiming that it would be Germany’s oldest cafe. If this is true is not proven, however they were already in operation since 1686.
    But.
    You might guess already: if I would have been overly excited I would have written it in the first line. So why am I hesitating? Because all this has a price? No, not likely. Good products come with a price. I think my hesitation was mainly influenced by service and staff. I went upstairs and had to sit at the counter because two empty tables have not been cleaned up yet. Which isn’t an issue in general, but there were these three staff ladies, covered up in conversation with each other or typing things on their smartphones. As if there is no world around them. It took another couple of minutes until one of them kindly stopped her business and took my order. Ok, they had Illy coffee, my favourite coffee, and it was also freshly ground. My latte macchiato was ok, but nothing to write home about. In fact the one I had at Cafe Peitinger was much better. And with 2,60 Euro not at all as expensive as this one with 3,80 Euro (!).

I didn’t try the cakes and, at the end I also didn’t buy chocolate candies or something from the counter in the basement. Maybe because it was my disappointment with the service and the lost friendliness of staff? I am sure their products are good, but very expensive, *very* expensive. I think, although I didn’t try them, they could not have been better than the chocolate candies I bought at Cafe am Kreuzgang in Feuchtwangen last year.
    The good thing is that I am not alone. Although Cafe Prinzess has 4 star rating in Tripadvisor, looking at the reviews there I can read that others have been disappointed with the service too. And the cake? It is a question of what you are willing to pay for a piece of cake.

Opening hours: daily from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Sundays and holidays from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Location of Cafe Prinzess on Google Maps.

Eiscafe Gelini: So very delicious ice cream

by Trekki Updated Apr 9, 2015

Regensburg has various ice cream parlours and shops and it surely would be fun to do a “gelato hopping” through town. I had ice cream near the Old Stone Bridge and was pondering to have another one in the large parlour nearby the tourist office. But then I came across this one at Neupfarrplatz and fell in love with it immediately.
    Why? First of all I was attracted by the nice cones, some coated with sprinkles (maybe visible in my second photo). And they also have wafers as cups, not only cones. But it was their ice cream flavours that attracted me most. Those who know me might know that my favourite flavour is cassata siciliana. And when I am not in Italy where I can find this flavour at least most of the times, I wander from one ice cream parlour to the next in a hopeless search of my cassata, frustrated that the flavours produced in Germany are mostly “Germanised”. So this one was different. Ok, they didn’t have cassata siciliana, but they had new flavours, fresh flavours. At the end I chose Mexican lime and American cheesecake. And yes, it was good – oh joy. Ok, it is not cheap, one scoop was 1,40 Euro. But it was well worth it!!

Location of Gelini Ice Cream on Google Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Kneitinger: Good solid Bavarian meals and .. beer :-)

by Trekki Updated Apr 9, 2015

This is Regensburg’s traditional brewery, with own home brewed beer, with a history dating back to 1530. We went here on my last day in town. The house is interesting, a typical Bavarian traditional brewery with restaurant, with a large entrance hall, stairs to the upper section and a glass covered more modern seating area in the middle (visible in my third photo). The menu is typical Bavarian, no English version though. I was torn in between my beloved dumplings and the dish I finally chose, the one in my main photo. Ok, it might not look appealing on the first sight but I can guarantee that it was very very delicious! It is nothing for vegetarians though. It is made of liverwurst and black pudding/black sausage, both minced and mixed with onions, then roasted in a pan and served with chives, together with roasted potatoes and sauerkraut. Yes, it was very delicious (ha, I said that already), and it reminded me of my favourite Saarland dish, dumplings filled with liverwurst. My companion chose another very Bavarian dish, called “Bratensulz”, which was cold meat in aspic, with boiled egg, tomato and pickled cucumber. I never heard of this before and was indeed astonished when it came: meat, egg and vegetable are being put into a plate, doused with liquid gelatine from the broth and put into the fridge to solidify. It wouldn’t have been my thing but my companion said it was good.
    And of course we both sampled their dark beer, one more time that I was happy to know my car being hundreds of miles away.
    Prices (March 2015): my liverwurst dish was 8,90 Euro, likewise the cold meat in aspic and 0,5 litre of dark beer 3,40 Euro.

Opening hours: 7 days a week, 9 a.m. to 30 min past midnight, meals from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Closed only on Christmas Day and New Year.

Location of Kneitinger on Google Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Historisches Wurstkuchl: Regensburg's most famous ... don't miss it :-)

by Trekki Updated Apr 9, 2015

Historisches Wurstkuchel, or historical tavern, is very likely the most famous and popular restaurant of Regensburg and maybe even Bavaria. During the building phase of the bridge (Steinerne Brücke, Old Stone Bridge) in 12th century it was the builders’ field office and once the bridge was finished it quickly became a cookshop for the port workers and the workers of the cathedral. And it is still in operation today. Staff inside the little house is dressed in historical clothes and fries the sausages on the large barbecue. The outside seating area is large, with view to the bridge and Danube River, hence it is even more popular especially in good weather.

We went there on a beautiful sunny day, luckily past noon time, so we were lucky to find seats on the benches outside. The menu is small but on the other hand the people come to eat Regensburg’s famous sausages, slightly larger than the sausages from Nuremberg. They are served together with sauerkraut and, very important, with the typical Bavarian sweet mustard. So in my first photo the meal is not completed, but in the second one it is.

You can have the choice of 6, 8 or 10 sausages with sauerkraut (9, 12 or 15 Euro), or other Bavarian snacks: => menu

Inside seating: 28, outside seating: approx. 100, and there is an additional room, called “Strudel room” with another 65 seats. I think it is in the building which also houses the UNESCO centre.
    Opening hours: 7 days a week, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (January to March), the rest of the year from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Location of Historisches Wurstkucherl on Google Maps.

not quite ..... But that's it :-) With sweet mustard :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Chaplin: Good light lunch (or not so light lunch)

by Trekki Updated Apr 8, 2015

We went to Chaplin for light lunch. Ok, my companion had light lunch, mine wasn’t that light because, as so often, I could not resist when I saw the dumplings on the menu. It was spinach dumplings with grated parmesan cheese and sage butter, oh so good. But since I knew that I would walk around in town later on I did not have any remorse . My companion has potato pancakes with graved salmon and was also satisfied. We were both happy to find Bionade lemonade on the menu and both had the elderberry version.
    Prices (March 2015): spinach dumplings 7,80 Euro, potato pancakes and salmon 7,80, Bionade 2,70 Euro. We were slightly too late to order their “espresso against the after-lunch nap”, which is being served from noon to 2 p.m. for 1 Euro only – kudos, that’s the Italian price 

Location of Chaplin on Google Maps.

Café Pernsteiner: Delicious cake and coffee

by Trekki Updated Apr 8, 2015

Since I forgot to ask about food in the holiday rental, I had to wake up on my first day (a Saturday) in very desperate need of my morning coffee fix. Cafe Pernsteiner was the closest cafe nearby but they open only at 9:00 a.m. on Saturdays. I was delighted to see their delicious cakes once I arrived there, so I decided that I’ll have cake with my morning coffee and not breakfast. The one I chose was with raspberries (freshly made, I could taste the raspberries), chocolate dough and cream. Very good! Prices (March 2015): latte macchiato: 2,60 Euro, cake: 3,10 Euro.

The seating area, separated from the sales counter, is lovely too. In early spring it was nicely decorated with Easter flowers and equivalent tablecloth.

They also serve lunch and I had planned to come back for lunch or early dinner, but at the end I always had lunch in town and was too saturated for dinner. From the menu I could see that they have dishes for everyone: soups for 3,80 Euro, salads (incl. Cesar’s salad) for 8,20 Euro, quiche (vegetarian or with turkey) 6,90 Euro, pasta for 7,20 Euro, and beef goulash for 9,00 Euro.

The café has a long tradition: 1901 the owners’ ancestors started the bakery in Bohemia, and after WW II, they resettled in Regensburg. Recently they won several awards for their truffle chocolate. Oh and I read that the school kids will get a free ice cream when they have earned class A marks. What a sweet idea.

Location of Cafe Pernsteiner on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., March 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Bischofshof Braustuben: Drinking Beer in a UNESCO Town

by TomInGermany Written Aug 4, 2013

Regensburg is a beautiful city and well worth a visit if you are in Germany. One of the neat things about the city was we never heard an American voice except for the friends we met up with on our visit. If you have some extra time you can walk to the Bischofshof Brewery for a nice lunch or dinner (or a mid-day snack). Located outside the old part of the city, it will take you about 15-20 minutes to walk there but that should just whet your appetite.

It was a very hot summer day when we visited the brewery but the shade trees in their beer garden did a nice job blocking the sun and making the day bearable. The day was made a little hotter since we had trouble finding the place despite having a map and pretty much knowing exactly where it was. Our excuse: the road we were looking for is now a footpath for the first block and not marked.

Service was a little slow at first but we found out it was only the servers third day working there and she wasn’t checking the beer garden very often. After she realized we were there it improved greatly. It was also interesting to have her look at our menus when we ordered since she wanted to make sure what we were actually ordering. Anyway, the food was good, the beer was okay and the place was nice. Worth a stop if you have the time and a good GPS.

Favorite Dish: You should try their “Zoigl” beer since it is the 1001 Beers to Taste before you Die book. It is a Kellerbier which I’m not that fond of and wasn’t that fond of this one. However I can now check it off my list.

Bischofshof Braustuben My Zoigl Beer Interesting sauce Same picture as on their beer labels
    • Beer Tasting

• simplytaj's Profile Photo

Haus Heuport: Knocked Out after one Leg!

by simplytaj Written Apr 30, 2013

The midieval town pf Regensburg is full of nice restaurants to visit particularly the 650 year old Heuport, a huge restaurant and always busy for lunch and dinner. It has a very simple interior, traditional furniture, quite cozy, friendly service staff and affordable. Known for its best schweinshaxe w/ knoedels, a specialty of the house. Their wine selection is good too and prices are a bit lower than the usual.

Favorite Dish: schweinshaxe w/ knoedels and sauerbraten were so good! they serve on big plates and rich in flavor. One will definitely have a hard time finishing a whole plate. It feels like losing consciousness after one pork leg, tired and would just rather go to sleep.

hmmm very nice wine to pair

• bobodyda's Profile Photo

Café Goldenes Kreuz: Very old Café

by bobodyda Written Mar 5, 2013

Old hotel, Zum Goldener Kreuz. Haid Platz. At one time (16th-19th century) this was Regensburg's imperial inn, frequented by emperors, kings, and nobles. Our guide said it was the 1546 of a tryst between Emperor Charles V (then age 46) and an 18-year-old commoner. She bore the emperor a son, named Don Juan de Austria.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Cafe Goldenes Kreuz: style

by iaint Updated Jun 12, 2012

A typical Bavarian "coffee & cake" place, and a local institution. It's part of a hotel, which is upstairs.

A mouthwatering array of cakes to chooses from!

You can sit outside if the weather's up to it, and watch the sweaty touroids go past on the square.

Favorite Dish: Cake!

facade

• iaint's Profile Photo

Kneitinger am Arnulfsplatz
: Great

by iaint Written Jun 11, 2012

Kneitinger is a local brewery, and it has several outlets in town.

This one is great. Just so typical. A little away from the main touroid spots, so more local than for visitors.

We had a lovely lunch of real Bavarian food. The beer was good too.

Highly recommended if you want a taste of local life.

Favorite Dish: I had something called "leftovers". A couple of bratwurst, some schweinebraten, some sauerkraut and the iconic potato dumplings. The collegaue next to me had "sour lung". Get the idea?

the exterior atmospheric
    • Beer Tasting

• gmg61's Profile Photo

Alte Münz: Nice ambience, good food

by gmg61 Updated Apr 23, 2011

They serve traditional Bavarian food in an old house, with a very warm, relaxing and comfortable ambiance.
    Try the pork leg (Schweinshaxle) or the onions soup (Winzer Zwiebelsuppe). They also serve fresh fish, well cooked. I tried a trout fillet with almonds and it was tasty.
    Friendly service and good prices.

Favorite Dish: Trout fillet with almonds

• bonio's Profile Photo

Kneitinger Keller: Beer garden

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

A couple of hours wait between trains so, a good time for a visit to a beer garden for lunch.
    The Kneitinger Keller is just a few minutes walk from the station. We found the usual outdoor seating under mature Horse Chestnut trees, perfect.
    Busy on a Tuesday lunchtime but still enough room.
    Tasty, quite bitter, beer on offer and an intersting menu to choose lunch from. Mrs B very happy with her chilli popper salad and my schnitzel well up to standard.
    Enjoyed our short visit here.

Instant Answers: Regensburg

Comments

Regensburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Regensburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Regensburg sightseeing.