Regensburg Restaurants

Same picture as on their beer labels
    Bischofshof Braustuben
    Interesting sauce

Most Recent Restaurants in Regensburg

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Bischofshof Braustuben: Drinking Beer in a UNESCO Town

by TomInGermany Written Aug 4, 2013

Bischofshof Braustuben

Regensburg is a beautiful city and well worth a visit if you are in Germany. One of the neat things about the city was we never heard an American voice except for the friends we met up with on our visit. If you have some extra time you can walk to the Bischofshof Brewery for a nice lunch or dinner (or a mid-day snack). Located outside the old part of the city, it will take you about 15-20 minutes to walk there but that should just whet your appetite.

It was a very hot summer day when we visited the brewery but the shade trees in their beer garden did a nice job blocking the sun and making the day bearable. The day was made a little hotter since we had trouble finding the place despite having a map and pretty much knowing exactly where it was. Our excuse: the road we were looking for is now a footpath for the first block and not marked.

Service was a little slow at first but we found out it was only the servers third day working there and she wasn’t checking the beer garden very often. After she realized we were there it improved greatly. It was also interesting to have her look at our menus when we ordered since she wanted to make sure what we were actually ordering. Anyway, the food was good, the beer was okay and the place was nice. Worth a stop if you have the time and a good GPS.

Favorite Dish: You should try their “Zoigl” beer since it is the 1001 Beers to Taste before you Die book. It is a Kellerbier which I’m not that fond of and wasn’t that fond of this one. However I can now check it off my list.

• simplytaj's Profile Photo

Haus Heuport: Knocked Out after one Leg!

by simplytaj Written Apr 30, 2013

The midieval town pf Regensburg is full of nice restaurants to visit particularly the 650 year old Heuport, a huge restaurant and always busy for lunch and dinner. It has a very simple interior, traditional furniture, quite cozy, friendly service staff and affordable. Known for its best schweinshaxe w/ knoedels, a specialty of the house. Their wine selection is good too and prices are a bit lower than the usual.

Favorite Dish: schweinshaxe w/ knoedels and sauerbraten were so good! they serve on big plates and rich in flavor. One will definitely have a hard time finishing a whole plate. It feels like losing consciousness after one pork leg, tired and would just rather go to sleep.

• bobodyda's Profile Photo

Café Goldenes Kreuz: Very old Café

by bobodyda Written Mar 5, 2013

Old hotel, Zum Goldener Kreuz. Haid Platz. At one time (16th-19th century) this was Regensburg's imperial inn, frequented by emperors, kings, and nobles. Our guide said it was the 1546 of a tryst between Emperor Charles V (then age 46) and an 18-year-old commoner. She bore the emperor a son, named Don Juan de Austria.

Cafe Goldenes Kreuz: style

by iaint Updated Jun 12, 2012

facade

A typical Bavarian "coffee & cake" place, and a local institution. It's part of a hotel, which is upstairs.

A mouthwatering array of cakes to chooses from!

You can sit outside if the weather's up to it, and watch the sweaty touroids go past on the square.

Favorite Dish: Cake!

Kneitinger am Arnulfsplatz
: Great

by iaint Written Jun 11, 2012
    the exterior

Kneitinger is a local brewery, and it has several outlets in town.

This one is great. Just so typical. A little away from the main touroid spots, so more local than for visitors.

We had a lovely lunch of real Bavarian food. The beer was good too.

Highly recommended if you want a taste of local life.

Favorite Dish: I had something called "leftovers". A couple of bratwurst, some schweinebraten, some sauerkraut and the iconic potato dumplings. The collegaue next to me had "sour lung". Get the idea?

• gmg61's Profile Photo

Alte Münz: Nice ambience, good food

by gmg61 Updated Apr 23, 2011

They serve traditional Bavarian food in an old house, with a very warm, relaxing and comfortable ambiance.
    Try the pork leg (Schweinshaxle) or the onions soup (Winzer Zwiebelsuppe). They also serve fresh fish, well cooked. I tried a trout fillet with almonds and it was tasty.
    Friendly service and good prices.

Favorite Dish: Trout fillet with almonds

Kneitinger Keller: Beer garden

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

A couple of hours wait between trains so, a good time for a visit to a beer garden for lunch.
    The Kneitinger Keller is just a few minutes walk from the station. We found the usual outdoor seating under mature Horse Chestnut trees, perfect.
    Busy on a Tuesday lunchtime but still enough room.
    Tasty, quite bitter, beer on offer and an intersting menu to choose lunch from. Mrs B very happy with her chilli popper salad and my schnitzel well up to standard.
    Enjoyed our short visit here.

Spitalbräu: hausbrauerei

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Always attracted by somewhere that brews their own beers, a Sunday lunchtime visit and lucky to find a table, it was extremely busy, we shared with another beer and food lover and a good chance for Mrs Bonio to practice her German.
    Difficult to fault, food and beers excellent and portions very large - just how we like it!

• iaint's Profile Photo

Wurstküche: history in a roll

by iaint Updated Mar 24, 2011
    busy at 11am!

This place dates back to the 12th century! The oldest sausages in town?

But seriously, it is famous in the region. It is right on the banks of the Donau, by the Steinerne Brücke.

The old bit of the restaurant - the wee building which belches out the smell of grilled sausages - is where you go for the traditional version, served in a bread roll with sweet mustard and sauerkraut. The latter are optional, and you choose how many sausages you want in the roll.

You can sit at tables inside or out, or stroll along the riverbank with your old style fast food.

It has a newer section in the old salt mill next door, which I believe is more of a “sit down” restaurant. We didn’t go for that - preferring to leave room for coffee & cake later on.

I didn’t pay, so can’t help with prices. It is open 8am to 7pm daily.

Favorite Dish: ROFL!

Not much choice!

Taj Mahal: Good curry

by bonio Written Jan 8, 2008

Indian restaurant between our hotel and the city centre so, guaranteed a visit!
    An early evening visit so pretty quiet and beginning to fill as we left so looks like a popular place to eat. Food and welcome certainly very good and comfortable surroundings to eat in, particularly enjoyed our samosa starters.

• CassiopieaSeeker's Profile Photo

Sushi am Dom: Great Sushi and friendly people

by CassiopieaSeeker Updated Nov 21, 2007

I like eating here because the sushi taste really good and it is always presented nicely, the people that have served us have always have been pretty friendly. Some of the waitresses speak English which is always helpful. I found a website that has a picture of the menu, i included it in my pics, it is in german but, you can figure it out, if not ask one of the english speaking waitresses

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the California rolls and the avocado Maki. My husband is more adventurous so he always orders one of the nigri platters.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Der Grieche im Herzogshof: A delicious Greek Restauran

by Cristian_Uluru Written Sep 24, 2007
    Der Grieche im Herzogshof

Der Grieche im Herzogshof is a fantastic Greek restaurant. It was the first time that I tried the Greek cousine and, in my opinion, it is delicious!!! The atmosphere is very friendly and also the staff.
    A great experience!!!

Favorite Dish: I tried some very good dishes here. I can suggest the Lammkoteletts: grilled chop of lamb with potatoes, rice and vegetables. Very good is also the Fischteller: a mix grill of white fish, squids, prawns...with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
    If you don't like these dishes you can taste the Bifteki: two slice of beef filling of vegetables.
    A great experience!!!

• Wine Tasting

Kneitinger: Authentic Regensburg

by dentremo Written Dec 13, 2005

If you are looking for some authentic Bavarian cusine and excellent bock beer, come to Kneitinger, where according to their website you will find native Bavarians sitting next to Americans, artists next to entrepeneurs, and schoolkids next to retired people.

There is inside that is decorated in the traditional Bavarian manner and a less- formal glass-covered heated alley outside with large wooden benches.

Word of Warning: Don't try to take your food from the McDonalds across the street to the outside tables and don't try to order a coke. There is something in their charter that forbids them from selling any mass-produced products - or something like that.

This place is also a great place to people watch. Last time I was there, I saw a pretty funny domestic dispute which ended up in the wife tipping the table over on her husband.

Also, if you see my buddy Herbert, say hi to him for me (see pic). I met him there once when I was trying to practice my German and he decided to use me to practice his 'G.I. English' (whatever that was). Anyway, he gave me his picture for some odd reason???

Peaches: Monday Pizza deal

by dentremo Updated Dec 12, 2005

This place is packed on Monday when classes are in session at the university so get there early. A very large pizza only costs 5.10 euros (any pizza on the menu). Other than its size, the pizza is nothing special. I wouldn't buy one at normal price, but on Mondays theres no cheaper way to get full. Two people can even split a pizza, unless they're really hungry.

Di-Do 19:00-01:00
    Fr,Sa 19:00-03:00
    Mo 18:00-01:00

Al Camino: Pizza and People Watching

by dentremo Written Dec 12, 2005

This used to be my favorite pizzaria in the world, but it has since changed ownership and the quality has suffered -not to say its bad, but it no longer stands out. I think the new owners also own the asian take-out joint around the corner (I was in the asian place and saw a waiter from Al Camino come in to pick up a few onions!).

If you are there in the summer, it is great to sit outside and watch people walk back and forth in Haidplatz.

Instant Answers: Regensburg

Comments

Regensburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Regensburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Regensburg sightseeing.