Regensburg Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Regensburg

More shopping - various shops

by Trekki Updated Apr 13, 2015

Overall I was very impressed by the many shops with quality goods and “this and that” in the old town of Regensburg. I planned to take more photos of some other shops but .. forgot due to my overall fascination to just walk around and wonder.

So here some of the other shopping options:

Spices and herbs:
    I was looking for my most favourite herb of all, blue fenugreek, and found it in this little shop in one of the side streets of the old town. They have all kinds of spices and herbs and also mixtures like pepper and chilli specialities. A heaven for spice and herb lovers.
    Gewürz Depot.

Interesting felt products:
    The shop “Kunst und Gut” in Kramgasse, which is westward of the cathedral, had beautiful felt products in the window, such as flowers, hats, rings.

Vinyl shops, especially for PJ:
    In the same little street Kramgasse I found a shop PJ and other vinyl lovers would like to enter.

Luckily Regensburg’s tourist office has a flyer with the various shops and restaurants on a map:

Regensburg shopping guide

Location of Kramgasse on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., April 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Especially for PJ :-)

Schau hi: Beautiful paperware

by Trekki Updated Apr 13, 2015

After walking through the southern part of the old town (near that famous castle which I didn’t visit) I wanted to go back to my holiday apartment through streets I didn’t know yet.
    And there it was ..... this jolly cheerful fabulous little shop called “Schau Hi” (local dialect for “look closely”). I was drawn by the products in one of the windows, especially by the colourful bowls made from recycled paper. Once inside I saw that they have more of these, also little hangers with ducks, dolphins, birds. The shop is a stationary one, but that term isn’t enough to describe the beautiful paper ware they have. From cards to paper and envelopes in all kinds of colours and material, ribbons, seals, garlands, gift bags, journals, you name it. A pure heaven for anyone who loves decorating, wrapping gifts, making scrapbooks and likes beautiful things. Oh my, I am envious of the lucky people who live in Regensburg who can go shopping here every day.

At the end I bought the little ducky (2,50 Euro), which is part of a Fair Trade project, the paper ware made in Vietnam. And I also bought a lovely garland with hearts cut from various colourful paper (5,50 Euro).

I’d love to send the shop owner a “VT Sticker Member Choice 2015” because this shop is really very special!

Location of “Schau Hi” shop on Google Maps.

Regensburg Tourist Office: Beautiful souvenirs at the tourist office

by Trekki Updated Apr 12, 2015

Looking for special gifts or souvenirs? Regensburg’s tourist office is an excellent place to go!!

I only came to pick up information material and a map but then I was delighted to see the various beautiful and elaborate gifts and souvenirs they sell. They have key rings, bookmarks, umbrellas, tea light “rings” and a magnificent “pop up” card of Regensburg’s cathedral.
    Lovely things for lovely people.

Sadly the tourist website does not have the shopping section in English, so here are the links for some of the special gifts I liked and can recommend buying:
    ”Silhourama”, a kind of 3D model of the old town,
    pop up model of the cathedral,
    Regensburg umbrella,
    cathedral cookie cutter,
    tea light ring,
    key hanger with Regensburg’s silhouette,
    Bavarian pendants.

Location of Tourist Office on Google Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Teehaus Bachfischer: Especially for tea lovers :-)

by Trekki Updated Apr 11, 2015

First I was attracted by the house itself which looks so special with its little tower on top and the wood carved oriel. And then I realised that there is a tea shop inside. I wasn’t really looking for tea but the sunny colours on the shelves outside made me curious and there I saw it: mate tea, this speciality from Argentina I like so much. Moreover they had mate with lemon! So I went inside and was almost speechless – this is a tea lover’s paradise! Not only tea of all kinds of flavours you can imagine. Of course the classic tea leaves from Darjeeling, Ceylon, Assam, China and Japan were there but also any other kind of fruit tea and mixtures and also beautiful tea china, sweets, rock candy with various aroma, tea boxes – you name it. My favourite though was the rock candy, but that would have been too heavy for my already quite filled backpack. At the end I bought mate with lemon (50 g for 1,90 Euro) and a sunny fruity tin teabox.

And .. I also bought loose tea which I thought I'd love, but only later I realised that it contains liquorice, something my stomach has problems with. Other than that it has lemon pieces it contains rose hip, apple, blackberry leaves, lemon grass, cinnamon, peppermint, linden blossoms, calendula.
    It sits in my kitchen and waits for someone who likes it.
    The first one who says "yes", either in a comment or by mail - I'll bring it or send it.

Location of Teehaus Bachfischer on Google Maps.

Dom Buchhandlung: Books, guidebooks and postcards

by Trekki Updated Apr 10, 2015

Looking for guide books? In English or other languages? Or postcards? Then the bookshop opposite of the cathedral is where you shall go. The majority of the books and items have religious themes but they also have additional sections with various guidebooks, postcards and greeting cards. I liked especially the greeting card section and stocked up with a lot of beautiful ones. They have a large table with various Bavaria products, some kitschy and some just nice things.

At the end I bought a good guidebook of Regensburg, which is also available in English and Russian, 6 Euro, many greeting cards, a book about the interesting street names in Regensburg and postcards.

Location of Dom bookshop (Dombuchhandlung) on Google Maps.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Freytag & Berndt: Travel books and maps galore :-)

by Trekki Updated Mar 28, 2015

I love Freytag & Berndt’s maps. Already in Sweden, several years ago, their maps showed me places I otherwise would not have found. So you might imagine that big smile on my face when I walked towards Regensburg’s tourist office and, when I came across a corner onto Kohlenmarkt (a piazza), saw their logo on a house and shop windows. I quickly realised that it is indeed a book and map shop entirely devoted to maps and travel and travel related sports (sailing, mountaineering etc). Of course I went inside and immediately felt like in heaven: travel books galore, maps and any kind of travel related goodies. My favourite was this wonderful cork globe (photo 1 in the middle, or => here), not cheap, but maybe Santa hears me :-) A cute beach chair, famous for northern Germany’s beaches, invites visitors to sit down and browse in books or maps. I so wished I would be here by car (and not by train with limited baggage weight) because I would have loved to drive up my car to the shop, shop until I drop or my car would have reached its loading limit). But there is a next time....
    At the end I bought maps of “my” regions southern Bavaria and Rhineland-Palatinate and some lovely postcards.

The owner of the shop and his assistant are extremely knowledgeable about anything travel related, and their books and maps on stock. They told me that Freytag & Berndt currently has only two of these shops in Germany, this one in Regensburg and one in Nuremberg. Otherwise they have shops in Vienna, headquarter of the company, which was founded by cartographer Freytag in 1885, Prague, Bratislava, Budapest and Avila (Spain).

In terms of bookshops this is my personal VT Members’ Choice 2015, and I hope that Freytag & Berndt’s Vienna management agrees to put up the sticker in their window.

Opening hours:
    Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 19:00 (10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.), Saturday: 09:30 – 18:00 (9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.).

The Regensburg shop also does have a Facebook page.

Location of Freytag & Berndt Travel & Map Bookshop on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., March 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• SeafordM7's Profile Photo

Regensburg: helpful store clerks: Regensburg: helpful store clerks

by SeafordM7 Written Oct 13, 2005

Someone suggested that souvenir prices would be more reasonable in Regensburg and Passau than in more northern cities, for example, along the Rhine. What we found were agreeable, helpful clerks even though we were not big spenders. On Wahlenstrasse, Regensburg, about one block south of Kohlenmarkt, on the northeast corner of an intersection, we came across a store of wide price-range of knick-knacks and decorative items. The clerk patiently helped us decide about two angels (tree decorations) we wanted to bring home for two newborns. We also bought some paper napkins for the next holiday dinner. These small purchases did not bring disdain, but rather the clerk gave her time and friendly service.
    In similar fashion, near closing time I rushed into the Dom's bookstore (across the street from the cathedral) to get a copy of a ten-euro autobiography by Joseph Ratzinger, unavailable in the U.S. in German. Having inspected the shelves of this well-stocked store and having missed the obvious display on the new Pope, the clerk graciously helped this confused American to the desired book ("Aus meinen Leben, Erinnerungen") and other items.

• Christine_D's Profile Photo

Donau-Einkaufszentrum: DEZ

by Christine_D Updated Sep 15, 2008

Largest mall between Munich and Nuremberg. You can buy everything at the DEZ! Next to shops there are several restaurants. The perfect place to spend a rainy day.

DEZ

Instant Answers: Regensburg

Comments

Regensburg Shopping

Reviews and photos of Regensburg shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Regensburg sightseeing.