The first church was built in 700 AD. Around 739 the site of the Cathedral was chosen in the area of the Porta Praetoria (north gate of the old Roman fort. The Cathedral was later rebuilt and expanded during the 11th century.
Rebuilt in the Gothic style commencing 1273, with continual workuntil 1538. More work continued over the centuries with the towers and their spiers built 1859-1869.
We did not have time to enter the Cathedral.
We did not have time to enter this museum. It contains many beautiful religious items going back 500 years.
The attached web link although in German has photos of many of the items on display. They look magnificent.
From the Steinerne Bridge walking towards the Old Town turn right and walk 4 streets to the fishmarket, then you will see the Old Town Hall.Built during the 15th century, however the tower was built 200 years earlier.
The first Holy Roaman Empire parliament sat here from 1663 to 1806.
The Danube is a beautiful River to cruise, however one of the best things about the river is that it is used by locals for swimming, boating, beach for sunbathing etc etc .
We noticed the beautiful cycle paths alongside the river, the cyclist has right of way!
It helps when your local guide is enjoys her profession and can speak clear English. Our guide fot the Old City tour was excellent and gave the history of the major sights.
Regengsburg Old Town is an easy walk, the hard part when doing the walk by yourself is obtaining the history.
We had it served on a platter.
After our guided tour finished we were given an hour free time. We chose to have coffee and cake on Neupfarrplatz, a good place to rest with plenty of activity on the square as we enjoyed our coffee. I noticed the Neupfarrkirche at the other end and had time for a few close up photos.
Our tour group was waiting in the square before being taken back to our riverboat. We had 5 minutes to departure time so I walked over to the church and took a few photos. Not enough time to go inside, but well worth the effort.
We could smell the cooking of the sausages as we approached, it made you want to buy one, however we had just had lunch on the rivership, wrong time, right place.
This was certainly an opportunity lost.
Oscar Schindler's life was brought to the notice of the World through the movie Schindler's List. After World War II he moved to Regensburg with his wife and lived in this house for several years. Oscar was destitute during the years after WWII.
Our arrival was by riverboat as part of our 14 day cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. A great way to travel as it gives unobstructed view of the river and countryside.Our Cruise was with a company called APT. View the attached photo of the map detailing our guided walk.
I recommend everyone should at least take a cruise on the Danube for a few hours. The web link below gives details of river cruises from a few hours to days.Regensburg is an ideal location to enjoy a short cruise.
Regensburg Christmas Market
28th November – 23rd December 2013
Romantic Christmas Market at Thurn & Taxis Palace
Advent Market at Spitalgarden
Craftsmen Lucrezia Christmas Market
Niedermünster, located East of the cathedral, was no monastery but a convent of unmarried noble ladies who lived in a community without taking vows as nuns. After the convent was closed down in the early 19th century, the convent buildings became the seat of the Bishops of Regensburg. The church is the central catholic parish church for the old town.
The church is almost 1000 years old, but it has been refurbished again and again, so apart from the Romanesque steeples its general appearance is baroque. The vaults have been painted to imitate stucco ornaments.
The photos were taken in 2007. The church and convent is currently (Dec 2012) undergoing restoration works.
The square East of the Dom is mostly a parking lot, but it is surrounded by several interesting buildings and full of history. Until 1830 it was the grain market, as the name indicates.
In times of the Bavarian Dukes, before Regensburg became a free imperial city, this was the centre of power. The Dukes had a small palace, the so-called Herzogshof. The church on th Southern side, originally much smaller, is called Alte Kapelle and used to be the palace chapel.
The square is located right outside the first town wall. The tower and the gate that leads to Domplatz are still there.
The small baroque church on the Eastern side is part of the Carmelite abbey.
The Northeastern corner is dominated by the steeples of Niedermünster abbey.
The proud magistrate of the free imperial city of Regensburg built themselves a city hall to befit the city's status already in the middle ages. The Old City Hall is an imposing gothic building with stepped gables. The small gothic oriel on the side contains the altar of the little chapel in the main hall.
Regensburg's city hall made history for the entire Holy Roman Empire after it had become the permanent seat of the Immerwährender Reichstag (Everlasting Diet). Until then the Diets, the regular meetings of the princes, counts, clerics and cities of the Empire, had been taking place in changing locations. From then on iit became a permanent institution, sort of the first parliament for Germany.
The city gave the old city hall to the empire for this purpose, and built themselves the New City Hall next door, a baroque building with a large tower.
The Old City hall contains several historical halls, including the large Reichssaal where the meetings took place. The interior can be visited with guided tours. Check the signs or enquire at the tourist information office which is located right here on the ground floor of the old city hall.
Neupfarrplatz with the church in the middle is the largest square in the old town and the centre of nowadays' city life. The shopping streets are nearby, events like the largest Christmas market take place here. Little recalls this square's history, the abstract monument in white concrete is easily overlooked.
In the middle ages this was the location of the Jewish ghetto. In 1519 all Jews were expelled and their quarter was demolished - the economical downfall and poverty of the city around 1500 was blamed on the Jews. (It's always good to have a scapegoat, eh.)
When the synagogue was torn down, a worker fell off the scaffolding, lay on the ground like dead, but rose unharmed after a short while. This "miracle" lead to a booming pilgrimage. Construction of a large church was begun, but after a few years a plague epidemy set an end to the project. The church remained a torso, only the choir had been finished.
The church was then completed for use with a short nave and Western choir - that's why it has this disproportioned shape. When the city introduced the Reformation in 1542 it became the first protestant parish church, hence the name "Neupfarrkirche" (New Parish Church).
The church is open to visitors in the daytime. It has a plain protestant interior, still with the old folding benches. It is the central protestant parish church. Their services might be of interest to visitors; for example, during the Christmas market season they have a short service every evening at 7 p.m.