Schollbrunn Travel Guide

Village sign, Schollbrunn, Germany.
    by planxty
    Waymarks, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany.
    by planxty
  • Gasthof Zur Sonne, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany.
    Gasthof Zur Sonne, Schollbrunn, Bavaria,...

Schollbrunn Things to Do

by planxty Updated Jun 15, 2012

There is no getting away from it, I enjoy hiking. My idea of a great day out is to wander in the countryside with my camera, so when I visited Schollbrunn and discovered there are several well-waymarked paths in the local area I was more than happy.

The start / finish point for the routes seems to be the car park on the main road at the Aschaffenberg end of the village, although many of the routes pass through the centre of the village so you could pick them up anywhere. There are six or seven routes ranging from 7km of easy ground to 17km with hills. Each route is marked with a different symbol. Unfortunately, due to time constraints I could only walk one of the shorter routes, but I fully intend to complete the long one next time I am there.

It really was a lovely peaceful walk through the Spessart forest resplendent in it's autumnal glory, and I didn't see another soul once I left the village behind.

Update June 2012.

Whilst generally updating my tips, I have added a website which you can translate into various languages and seems to offer sme hiking possibilities in the area.

I have included some other pictures of my walk in a travelogue on my Schollbrunn page, have a look if you want to see what it was like.

Waymarks, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany.
    • Hiking and Walking

by planxty Written Oct 29, 2007

Readers of my travel pages will know that I am fond of sampling local drinks wherever I go. When in Germany, I drink beer and they certainly have some wonderful brews. Feeling in need of one, I took a wander round Scshollbrunn in search of a hostelry. there are a few hotels in the village, but they all seemed closed with the exception of the Zur Sonne hotel, so in I went.

After the initial surprise of an obviously foreign visitor in October the (English speaking) barmaid made me feel very welcome and I had a couple of beers in the bar cum dining room which is decorated with wood panelling and very pleasant. Although I did not eat here, I saw food being served and it looked very good. Somewhat surreally, it being a Saturday afternoon, I was serenaded by the local saxophone orchestra practising in the adjoining function hall, and quite good they were too.

The hotel advertises a Beergarden although this was not set up due to the season.

Well worth a visit.

Please note that the webpage provided is in German.

Gasthof Zur Sonne, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany. Gasthof Zur Sonne, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany.
    • Beer Tasting

by planxty Written Oct 28, 2007

Before I start this tip, I should say that I fully support the VT policy of not getting into politics, religion etc. as this is a travel site, but I feel it is relevant here. I read on a sign outside the village that Schollbrunn was unusual in the area because it had afforded Roman Catholics and Protestants the same rights since the 17th century. I should explain here, if you have not read my homepage, that I come from Northern Ireland and was brought up there in the 1970's and 1980's with all that that implies. I have seen far too much religious hatred in my life.

The two churches sit almost side by side on top of the small hill in the village and I visited them both. Both were shut as it was a midweek autumn day, but both appeared well cared for and pleasant buildings. I speak or read almost no German and to this day I have no idea which was the Protestant Church and which the Roman Catholic. When I thought about it later on, that made me very happy.

The photos show both places of worship, and if anybody can tell me which is which, please send me a VT mail so I can amend the captions.

Church, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany. Church, Schollbrunn, Bavaria, Germany.
    • Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Schollbrunn

Comments

Schollbrunn Travel Guide
Map of Schollbrunn