Schongau Favorites

• Favorites
  • Favorites
    by Trekki
  • The panorama map (of the cultrural sights)
    The panorama map (of the cultrural...

Most Recent Favorites in Schongau

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Outstanding and helpful tourist information office

by Trekki Updated Aug 4, 2013

The panorama map (of the cultrural sights)

Favorite thing: Already before I visited Schongau I have read that it is something the centre of Pfaffenwinkel, Bavaria’s region with the highest density of fine Baroque and Rococo churches. So it was logical that I wanted to find the tourist information and see if they have additional information material I could use to better understand what I was seeing and maybe find more hidden gem churches. And I was not disappointed! The tourist office had such a variety of leaflets, brochures, maps, specific information about Pfaffenwinkel, Romantic Road and several other parts of southern Bavaria that I couldn’t help but take one of each. And yes, at the end I had a pile of almost 15 cm high. But it is all very much valuable. I love the interest specific maps (see second photo) of Pfaffenwinkel for hikers and bikers and cultural information and one with general information. Each of these has a nice three dimensional panorama of the region from Benediktbeuern and Walchensee in the east to Forggensee and Neuschwanstein Castle in the west. The map is “upside down though” (north is on the upper map part). Each map has specific icons for the countless villages and towns with reference to the sights to see. The hiking and biking maps have the trails and paths marked and additional information about each in length, in sights to see along the road and places to stop by. The cultural map has specific information about the villages and sights to see, about opening hours, tours and entrance fees. Just the panorama maps are really lovely and worth a lot; well, of excellent use for the tour plans. And everything I took was free of charge. I couldn’t believe it!
    Oh here I also got the 120 pages brochure of Bavaria region “Weilheim-Schongau” with all bus maps and schedules.

From what I have heard, the guided tours through the old town should be excellent. Unfortunately I was there on a Tuesday and couldn't attend the regular one which takes place on Fridays at 16:00/4 p.m. Have a look at the website with information about the guided tours in German, English and French.

The tourist office is located just behind (north of) Schongau’s parish church Maria Himmelfahrt, in Münzstraße 1-3. Münzstraße, by the way, leads to one of Schongau’s town gates, Münztor (mint gate).

Opening hours:
    May to October: Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 12:30 and 14:00 – 18:00
    November to April: Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 12:30 and additionally Monday & Tuesday from 14:00 – 16:00 and Thursday from 14:00 – 18:00.

Website, although in German: Schongau Tourist Information.
    Phone: +49 - (0)8861 - 21 41 81
    Address: Münzstraße 1-3, Postfach 13 22, D-86953 Schongau
    eMail: touristinfo(at)schongau.de
    Location of Schongau’s Tourist Information on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., December 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

continue with next review

• Castles and Palaces

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Marvellous viewpoint & photo opportunities :)

by Trekki Updated Dec 25, 2011

Favorite thing: When I visited Schongau I approached it from the west and just after I have left B17 (federal street 17) and drove downhill on street ST2014 I saw a beautiful image of the town. Luckily there was a small lay-by in the street bend so I could stop for a photo. I only had to walk up a few stairs to get to the best position for the photos. These are the stairs up to Hotel Holl.
    The bigger bell tower belongs to the church Maria Himmelfahrt and the smaller one to Heiliggeist Spitalkirche.

Location of “my” Schongau viewpoint on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., December 2011.

continue with next review

• Photography

Instant Answers: Schongau

Comments

Schongau Favorites

Reviews and photos of Schongau favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Schongau sightseeing.